Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Looking For DH, Lukewarm On Morneau

Orioles Looking For DH, Lukewarm On Morneau

PostPost #1 by osforlife » August 18th, 2013, 11:04 am

The Orioles continue to look for a DH-type addition to their lineup and plan to make multiple waiver claims in order to facilitate a deal, sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter). However, the club's interest in Twins first baseman Justin Morneau is lukewarm.

The O's were linked to Morneau for several weeks leading up to the July 31st non-waiver deadline but the veteran wound up staying put with his sizable salary serving as a roadblock to a possible deal. The Twins got Morneau through waivers last week, but it doesn't look like Baltimore will renew their interest in the 32-year-old, who is owed roughly $3.5MM between now and the end of the season.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/08/o ... rneau.html

I can see why the O's would be searching for a DH, but looking at Morneau is puzzling. Wilson Betemit is rehabbing and should be up very shortly; Betemit vs. RHP/Valencia vs. LHP! I would have picked up Reynolds anyway. He's due for a hot streak.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Orioles Looking For DH, Lukewarm On Morneau

PostPost #2 by ofahn » August 18th, 2013, 11:27 am

osforlife wrote:I would have picked up Reynolds anyway. He's due for a hot streak.

Yeah, Reynolds would have made more sense, but the Yankees were willing to offer him a spot on the ML roster and I'm not sure we were.

I agree that Morneau hasn't turned any heads this year, but I think he would have benefited from a change in scenery and had something to play for. That being said, it concerns me that the team would put his 3.5M remaining salary ahead of a chance (as remote as it might be) of going to the playoffs this year. I mean, we've already invested three solid prospects and a 1st Round draft choice into this team; why should a modest amount of money be a speed bump?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by LA Detective » August 18th, 2013, 1:23 pm

We need something. I think we are somewhat flat. A veteran spark kinda like Thome last year except a little more production. I think Justin has been hitting much better lately. It probably wouldn't cost us a lot in terms of a prospect. I think we need to go 27-13 for the playoffs and any chance to win the division.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #4 by ofahn » August 18th, 2013, 1:28 pm

LA Detective wrote: It probably wouldn't cost us a lot in terms of a prospect.

It should ONLY cost us money. The Twins appear to have NO interest in resigning him and keeping him on the roster the rest of the year will cost them about 3.5M. They'd be crazy not to let him go to any team that is willing to take him.

Of course, the big question is whether our ownership is willing to spend the money on him or anyone else.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by LA Detective » August 18th, 2013, 2:12 pm

I actually would rather have Helton. He hits lefties and gets on base. Not sure of any availability but is a FA. At 40 he should be. Stat wise Byrd, Pence or KMorales would be the best but might cost too much prospect wise.

If we stuck with RyanF at DH it wouldn't surprise if he finished .275+\750+ ops against rhp.

Im hoping for a seasoned vet though.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

PostPost #6 by ofahn » August 18th, 2013, 2:47 pm

LA Detective wrote:I actually would rather have Helton.

You're talking about next year. right? I doubt that the Rockies would just give him away considering the length of his career there.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by LA Detective » August 18th, 2013, 3:00 pm

Good point. But maybe a second tier prospect they may like a bit , some money saved and in appreciation for his long service allow him to play in a pennant race. Wouldn't be the first time.

But to your point he might not be available. I just like him better than JustinM if we have anything close to a choice.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Seafordeagles » August 18th, 2013, 4:04 pm

Personally I believe Helton will play his whole career in Colorado. He can reject any trade.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #9 by osforlife » August 18th, 2013, 10:20 pm

Betemit is the answer. Wilson and Danny Valencia would make a productive DH. Baltimore doesn't need RH bats; a LH bat is what the O's need. Helton has a .684 OPS out of Coors Field. No thanks. Helton, Thome, Morneau, Flaherty, are not better than Wilson Betemit. I get it if he looks terrible on the base-paths and/or in the field, but all Baltimore needs him to do is hit RHP like he's done his whole career.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by ofahn » August 24th, 2013, 10:02 am

osforlife wrote:Betemit is the answer.

No question that he would be the best and easiest solution, but I'm beginning to wonder if he'll be able to play at the ML level this year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by osforlife » August 24th, 2013, 12:48 pm

ofahn wrote:No question that he would be the best and easiest solution, but I'm beginning to wonder if he'll be able to play at the ML level this year.

I mean, he's hitting in the minors. All he has do is jog/run the 35% of his at-bats, in 75% of the games. A September call-up would work just fine.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Rising O's » August 24th, 2013, 1:06 pm

While I understand the need to upgrade from Flaherty as a LH DH, why the fixation on finding a LHH? Do they not notice how awful they are vs LHP?
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #13 by osforlife » August 24th, 2013, 1:23 pm

Rising O's wrote:While I understand the need to upgrade from Flaherty as a LH DH, why the fixation on finding a LHH? Do they not notice how awful they are vs LHP?

Baltimore aren't terrible against LHP; just not as good as they are against RHP. It's only because Davis, Machado, Hardy, McLouth, Jones, and Markakis hit RHP better than LHP. Pearce and Valencia are nice threats against LHP, but Showalter can't platoon everybody.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by LA Detective » August 24th, 2013, 7:29 pm

I don't think it's that we have to have a LHH, I think it is just there our fewer RHH out there. Not much really available in the first place.

The most frustrating thing is how many times we put ourselves in a position to win and somehow find a way to lose. I really think we need some kind of clubhouse lift. Maybe a trade for a firey vet or something. It's seems like we are too laid back. I like that but there just seems a lost of execution when needed. Even Buck today. I would of rather taken our chances with the hit leader and then the RBI leader than take the bat out of their hands. I'm sure Earl cringed when looking down at that one.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

PostPost #15 by ofahn » August 24th, 2013, 10:14 pm

LA Detective wrote: I would of rather taken our chances with the hit leader and then the RBI leader than take the bat out of their hands. I'm sure Earl cringed when looking down at that one.

I'm not upset that were trying to manufacture runs. I'm upset that we were trying to manufacture runs POORLY.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles