Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Ranking the 2011 Draft prospects

Re: Ranking the 2011 Draft prospects

PostPost #61 by S.Hogan » April 10th, 2011, 12:25 pm

I'm liking Bundy more and more for the 4th pick, and I hope Jordan is giving him serious consideration. At this point, I'd probably feel more comfortable selecting him over Gray or Jungmann.
S.Hogan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #62 by Don » April 13th, 2011, 8:02 am

I have it on good authority from another organization that the Orioles are down to really the two big boys that could drop, or the choice between Dylan Bundy and Bubba Starling.

Starling has hit home runs to right center and left center. I was told that my friend wishes they had a top 5 choice with the chance to take him in a heartbeat. His said up close it is one sweet right handed swing. He feels that it is the stle you see from left handed batters. It looked effortless when he swung. He think his defense can stick at center field. He agrees with me when I suggest that he reminds me alot of Hamilton in terms of power/speed game. I like a few College pitchers, but this bat makes me think that he could be a guy to build around up the middle.

Simply think of a combo of power hitting shortstop and power hitting centerfielder in the lineup by 2014 to see some of these core guys in the late 20's and early 30's.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #63 by Tenth Inning » April 13th, 2011, 9:11 am

Funny that, if true, after all the talk of how deep the draft was in elite college pitching, Baltimore might end up choosing between a couple of high school kids.

I suppose I'm slowly coming around on Bundy, although I've spoken to two industry guys who still think he's a reach for top 5 in this class. I'd like to see more tape.

I think Starling is a justifiable pick. Upside is huge. BAL had better be prepared to shell out its largest signing bonus yet, though. It could take 7+ MM, but I believe Starling will play ball.
Tenth Inning
Senior Editor & Columnist
Orioles Nation Staff
DSL Orioles

PostPost #64 by Shorebirdfan » April 13th, 2011, 4:57 pm

Don wrote:I have it on good authority from another organization that the Orioles are down to really the two big boys that could drop, or the choice between Dylan Bundy and Bubba Starling.

Starling has hit home runs to right center and left center. I was told that my friend wishes they had a top 5 choice with the chance to take him in a heartbeat. His said up close it is one sweet right handed swing. He feels that it is the stle you see from left handed batters. It looked effortless when he swung. He think his defense can stick at center field. He agrees with me when I suggest that he reminds me alot of Hamilton in terms of power/speed game. I like a few College pitchers, but this bat makes me think that he could be a guy to build around up the middle.

Simply think of a combo of power hitting shortstop and power hitting centerfielder in the lineup by 2014 to see some of these core guys in the late 20's and early 30's.

Don are you at liberty to name the two bigs boys who could drop?
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #65 by Don » April 13th, 2011, 6:51 pm

Yeah, there are thoughts passing that Cole is going to ask for the moon in signing bonus to the tune of more than Strasburg. This might have him drop straight into the Orioles laps. I am 100% serious that teams are chilly on Cole for financial concerns.

Rendon is making teams nervous about his ability to stay out of a tub and he can fall into the Orioles laps.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #66 by Don » April 15th, 2011, 1:57 pm

So, Keith Law seems to have the ear within the warehouse and I must be within earshot because they plan to take Jed Bradley if the likely three go as planned.

Here is my best guess of the top ten picks if it were today, but this could easily change to top heavy high school players as well.

1. Pirates - Cole
2. Mariners - Rendon
3. Diamondbacks - Hultzen
4. Orioles - Bradley
5. Roylas - Barnes
6. Nationals - Lindor
7. Diamondbacks - Jungmann (high schooler is off because they would lose this pick without a signing)
8. Indians - Bundy
9. Cubs - Gray
10. Padres - Mahtook
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #67 by allstar1579 » April 16th, 2011, 6:34 pm

Don wrote:I have it on good authority from another organization that the Orioles are down to really the two big boys that could drop, or the choice between Dylan Bundy and Bubba Starling.

Which two big boys do you mean? I assume you mean Cole/Rendon, but I've actually heard that Hultzen, Bradley and Starling are next on the list in order.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #68 by Don » April 16th, 2011, 9:44 pm

Those are my top five players, but Starling might not be taken in the top ten because it is still a very good chance that he still joins the Corn huskers. Cole could drop, if the dollar signs are that high because two or three other players could make a case to be picked first. Stranger things have happened.

I knew the Orioles were first content with a college pitcher, but they still hold both Starling and Bundy in high regard. If Bundy or Starling continue to tear this spring a new one, they could make a good case to go above #4 or to the Orioles at #4.

I tend to think talent will win out and Cole, Rendon, Hultzen will go off the board in the top three slots. It simply depends on the direction of the front office. This team finally has a few lower level position prospects and do they want to add another highly tool bat? Do they want to add a polished left handed prospect that could be only a year or two away with two solid left handers in the rotation?
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #69 by Don » April 18th, 2011, 10:51 am

Dylan Bundy...I watched your game film yesterday from your last start Saturday and you have simply pushed yourself ahead of the pack. Two of my best friend scouts agree with me that it would be a waste to pick someone other than Cole, if you are on the board.

This kid has two pitches right now that will miss bats. He has the makeup to think "workhorse". People say they remind him of Josh Johnson, but that is due to the area. I stand by my thoughts of Tom Seaver type of body, mound personality. I feel he can live off the cutter and 4 seam at this point, but as time progresses he should be able to fully extend his curveball and change up to more advance hitters.

He can clean up 95-96 with ease and the solid base is something that will make him stand out. He is 6'0" to 6'1" and less moving part give him a chance to be a solid repeatable delivery and he has enough in the pants where it is not over a max effort while throwing.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #70 by Jordan Tuwiner » April 18th, 2011, 5:06 pm

Bundy hit 100 mph in his start a few days ago.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #71 by Tenth Inning » April 19th, 2011, 8:43 am

Don, did you see many change-ups in that outing? From what I've heard no one can touch his fastball, so he'd been throwing it 80 percent of the time while mixing in the curve as the dominant second pitch. I'm interested to see how the change flashes. It will be key to whether he makes the leap to being a front of the rotation arm. I'm certainly coming around on him.
Tenth Inning
Senior Editor & Columnist
Orioles Nation Staff
DSL Orioles

PostPost #72 by Don » April 20th, 2011, 12:03 pm

I am in Europe right now and short of dealing with items. I will be back this weekend to meet some of the questions and fill in some reports.

One quick item that I am not sure if everyone is aware. I was told sometime last night that Matt Purke is shut down with shoulder stiffness. The thinking is a partial strain, but it could be worse.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #73 by Don » April 21st, 2011, 2:18 pm

I will be producing scouting reports over the next few weeks of the logical choices for the Orioles at number 4. This list will include the following players.

1. Dylan Bundy
2. Danny Hultzen
3. Jed Bradley
4. Bubba Starling

I will not provide reports for Cole or Rendon because lets be honest that if the Mariners, Diamondbacks, or Pirates allow either to fall into the Orioles laps, they should be contracted from baseball.

Please write in some fringe guys that you want more reported about them. I have a slew of write ups for three teams, but I will be providing general comments and hi/low ranges for each player and project future ceilings.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #74 by allstar1579 » April 21st, 2011, 8:24 pm

Don wrote:I will be producing scouting reports over the next few weeks of the logical choices for the Orioles at number 4. This list will include the following players.

1. Dylan Bundy
2. Danny Hultzen
3. Jed Bradley
4. Bubba Starling

I will not provide reports for Cole or Rendon because lets be honest that if the Mariners, Diamondbacks, or Pirates allow either to fall into the Orioles laps, they should be contracted from baseball.

Please write in some fringe guys that you want more reported about them. I have a slew of write ups for three teams, but I will be providing general comments and hi/low ranges for each player and project future ceilings.

Good choices. Those 4, Gray and Jungmann look like the pool for the top of the draft.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #75 by ShowalterPower » April 22nd, 2011, 1:02 am

Don wrote:I will be producing scouting reports over the next few weeks of the logical choices for the Orioles at number 4. This list will include the following players.

1. Dylan Bundy
2. Danny Hultzen
3. Jed Bradley
4. Bubba Starling

There's really no chance Rendon slips to the O's at 4?
ShowalterPower
DSL Orioles

PreviousNext

Return to MLB Draft