Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

L.J. Hoes is hitting .115.

L.J. Hoes is hitting .115.

PostPost #1 by docjj » April 17th, 2011, 7:12 pm

What's up with that?
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: L.J. Hoes is hitting .115.

PostPost #2 by S.Hogan » April 18th, 2011, 10:14 pm

After today, Hoes has now registered 29 AB's and has only struck out 4 times. He's also managed to walk 5 times in the 9 games he's played, so that's a good sign. Honestly, I don't think he's being overmatched, I think it's likely that he's off to a slow start and he's not consistently making good contact. I'm not worried as the sample size is very small.
S.Hogan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » April 21st, 2011, 12:05 am

I'm not one bit concerned. I saw LJ a bunch of times last season and he made a good impression on each occasion.

I remember one rocket he drilled right down the right field line for a double; tremendous bat speed and a short stroke. His plate discipline and eye continue to impress me.

The main issues with him are defense and whether or not he'll become an average defender at second. His defense has come a long way and I believe he's athletic enough to improve further. If he becomes a solid .380+ OBP guy there doesn't need to be a whole lot of power there to make him a valuable player, especially at second base.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by allstar1579 » April 21st, 2011, 8:25 pm

Slumps happen to EVERY player EVERY season. Some happen at the end of a season. Some happen in the middle of a season. Some happen at the beginning of a season.

Nothing to see here folks.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #5 by docjj » May 4th, 2011, 10:35 pm

5-5 tonight, up to .263. Nice.

I can't remember the last farmhand to go 5-5. Did Mahoney do it once last year?

I guess hot streaks happen every season too. Let's hope he keeps it up and moves up to Bowie at some time during the year. Anyone know if his Defense at 2B is still shaky?
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #6 by Shorebirdfan » August 2nd, 2011, 10:25 pm

OK, so I think we can all agree his hitting has improved a little since this string first started. Here's what I am having trouble getting my arms around. How does a guy who in his first 370 professional games hits a total of 10HR all of a sudden hit 6 in just over a week? Seems un-natural. Anyone seen him since he converted from Felix Millan to Ryan Sandburg? Any changes in the swing, etc? I understand Andy's recent comments about not being able to play him regularly at 2B in Bowie (with Miclat playing well) but I'd rather see him develop in his more likely postion rather than trying to learn a new spot in the field at the same time.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #7 by Don » August 3rd, 2011, 8:15 am

This is a very easy question to answer about L.J. Hoes. He never utilized his lower half and was completely in line. Guys who have the power tend to get a out a split second earlier and created the separation between the lower and upper body. The separation leads to a more force behind the swing, which becomes more powerful as a result.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 3rd, 2011, 7:44 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:OK, so I think we can all agree his hitting has improved a little since this string first started. Here's what I am having trouble getting my arms around. How does a guy who in his first 370 professional games hits a total of 10HR all of a sudden hit 6 in just over a week? Seems un-natural. Anyone seen him since he converted from Felix Millan to Ryan Sandburg? Any changes in the swing, etc? I understand Andy's recent comments about not being able to play him regularly at 2B in Bowie (with Miclat playing well) but I'd rather see him develop in his more likely postion rather than trying to learn a new spot in the field at the same time.

I've said before that Hoes has the bat speed to have power; I guess we are seeing it now. Like Don mentioned he fixed his timing and now that bat speed has translated to power.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Return to Minor Leagues