Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Option Henry Urrutia & Recall Josh Stinson

Orioles Option Henry Urrutia & Recall Josh Stinson

PostPost #1 by osforlife » August 17th, 2013, 8:57 pm

The Orioles will recall pitcher Josh Stinson from Triple-A Norfolk to provide an extra bullpen arm for tonight's game against the Colorado Rockies at Camden Yards.
With K-Rod's injury, and lack of innings by the starters, an extra reliever is more beneficiary than an excess position player. Urrutia seems to have a decent bat. I figured he or Flaherty was going to get optioned sooner or later. IMO, Stinson could be an average reliever in MLB.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Orioles Option Henry Urrutia & Recall Josh Stinson

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » August 17th, 2013, 9:23 pm

Who came in the game tonight and struck out one very good baseball player. Nice job by Stinson.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #3 by osforlife » August 18th, 2013, 10:56 am

Stinson has never had impressive numbers in the minors, but most of those were as a starrter. In 2009, he had a 9.6 K/9 as a reliever. Maybe that's all it takes. He barely gets by as a starter, but he could probably be a good but not great reliever in the minors, and decent in one inning stints at the major league level.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by ofahn » August 18th, 2013, 11:07 am

osforlife wrote:Stinson has never had impressive numbers in the minors, but most of those were as a starrter. In 2009, he had a 9.6 K/9 as a reliever. Maybe that's all it takes. He barely gets by as a starter, but he could probably be a good but not great reliever in the minors, and decent in one inning stints at the major league level.

...which is probably why so many teams have taken a chance on him. It's also why I felt it would be easier to sneak Eric Thames through waivers before Stinson.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by LA Detective » August 18th, 2013, 1:32 pm

I was one who had him 39th on the roster and down on the depth chart. It was obvious he has made adjustments. Could he be this years SJohnson in the pen? I was impressed and he has been on a roll We need to get/keep the backend of the Pen fresh and as a temp 8th reliever he might have value.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #6 by osforlife » August 18th, 2013, 1:50 pm

ofahn wrote:...which is probably why so many teams have taken a chance on him. It's also why I felt it would be easier to sneak Eric Thames through waivers before Stinson.

He has the ceiling of an average reliever. Thames has the ceiling of an average starting outfielder. Stinson is only one year younger than Thames. Position players are more valuable than relief pitchers. I'd take Thames over practically an identical copy of Alex Burnett.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by ofahn » August 18th, 2013, 2:48 pm

osforlife wrote:He has the ceiling of an average reliever. Thames has the ceiling of an average starting outfielder. Stinson is only one year younger than Thames. Position players are more valuable than relief pitchers. I'd take Thames over practically an identical copy of Alex Burnett.

I think we significantly differ on the value of these two players.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Seafordeagles » August 18th, 2013, 6:30 pm

Stinson optioned following today's game.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #9 by LA Detective » August 18th, 2013, 7:32 pm

He certainly did his job. Last night and keeping JJ fresh today. The Pen needed him. Would have no problem seeing him come back.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #10 by osforlife » August 18th, 2013, 10:21 pm

ofahn wrote:I think we significantly differ on the value of these two players.

I guess we should agree to disagree and watch them develop.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by ofahn » August 19th, 2013, 9:44 am

osforlife wrote:I guess we should agree to disagree and watch them develop.

It's not that I see Stinson as a great prospect or Thames as a waste of a roster space. I just see Stinson as a more valuable player at this point even though his ceiling will probably be as a middle reliever.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles