Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Pull the Plug on Jim Johnson

Re: Pull the Plug on Jim Johnson

PostPost #31 by ofahn » August 17th, 2013, 5:36 pm

LA Detective wrote:I will never forget what John Smoltz said last year about pitchers who tire. That they find other ways to use their body to throw with the same velocity. This causes mechanics to get out of wack leading to lack of control and crisp pitches.

That's a solids analysis of his problem. It's not that he pitches to contact, it's that he's been UP in the zone for about six weeks now because he's tired and his mechanics are off.

When he gets his pitches down he has a low BABIP because we have a great defense. He's been getting rocked because ML hitters can FEAST on 95 MPH FBs that are belt high and right down the pipe.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #32 by ofahn » August 17th, 2013, 5:41 pm

LA Detective wrote:I believe that Hunter, ODay and JJ are tired. Hunter is on pace for almost 100 innings.

The whole BP is gassed.

Part of the problem is that we have too many six inning starts. The rest of it is that we can't manufacture runs. If you have, say, a two run lead then Buck is going to feel compelled to get Hunter, ODay and JJ into the game; BUT if you can manufacture a few more runs then you can bring your long guy into game and give the rest of the bullpen the night off.

This is a bifurcated problem and we're going to have to make trades this winter that will fix both ends of the problem.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #33 by osforlife » August 17th, 2013, 8:10 pm

I switched my comment to the Jose Abreu forum. I meant to post it there.
Last edited by osforlife on August 17th, 2013, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #34 by Seafordeagles » August 17th, 2013, 8:23 pm

osforlife wrote:I think the Orioles are in a comfortable financial position. Baltimore has many free agents coming off the books this winter; Tsuyoshi Wada, Jason Hammel, Scott Feldman, Francisco Rodriguez, Alexi Casilla, Wilson Betemit, Nate McLouth, and Brian Roberts. Plus, I think Orioles could non-tender Jim Johnson, Taylor Teagarden, and Nolan Reimold. After all of that shedded salary, I think we could be healthy suitors in the free agent market. That doesn't mean, however, that Baltimore should or will be major suitors in the free agent market. All that being said, there could/will be problem over the next several years if the O's don't restock their farm system.

If the O's were to sign Abreu and Redsox were to sign Jacoby Ellsbury, Baltimore and Boston could be ideal trade partners. Without Ellsbury, Boston would like use an outfield of Daniel Nava LF, Jackie Bradley CF, Shane Victorino RF, and Jon Gomes as the 4th outfielder. However, with Ellsbury, the Redsox have a logjam on the corners with Jackie Bradley, Daniel Nava, Jonny Gomes, and Shane Victorino. Now, Boston could use Mike Carp or Daniel Nava at first base, but they aren't exactly the kind of first baseman on a first place club would want after losing Jarrod Saltalamaccia, Mike Napoli, and Stephen Drew. The Orioles would have two first basemen, and the Redsox would have a semi-need of one.

Chris Davis, Xavier Avery, & Zach Britton for Jackie Bradley, Garin Cecchini, Bryce Brentz, Brandon Workman, Ryan Kalish & Henry Owens? Give or Take

On august 17, 2013 I am going on record to say that Chris Davis will not be traded from the Baltimore Orioles, this off season or in 2014.

If I'm wrong I will never come back here again. Which I've thought of doing many times in the past anyway. His numbers are astronomical and just think how many (including me) wanted Mark Texeira and Prince Fielder when they were free agents who have not put up Chris Davis kind of numbers.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #35 by ofahn » August 17th, 2013, 8:45 pm

If I were DD I would approach Scot Boras about an extension for Chris Davis in early October (when our season is over) and if about a six year deal can't be reached by November 1st I would absolutely trade him. He's the most valuable chip we have that we could be willing to move.

IMO the two words you should focus on in that paragraph is Scot Boras.

If we don't add some young talent to this team that can pitch into the seventh with some regularity as well as hitters that have high OBAs and will be situational hitters when necessary we're going to be a perennial doormat again as soon as the end of the 2015 season.

Right now we're not a playoff team for the 2014 season and have no reason to believe that our farm system will make us one in 2015. Keeping Davis would only provide a diversionary sideshow to those frustrating seasons and then he would be gone for a draft pick that might not make an impact on the team for anywhere between two and four years, if ever. Trading him this winter to a team like the Cardinals or the Pirates would give us at least three solid ML ready prospects. Add Hardy to a deal with St. Louis and we could be looking at filling holes at 2B, SP, RP, and a solid prospect at AA or AAA.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #36 by Seafordeagles » August 20th, 2013, 9:26 pm

I'm finally convinced and never really admitted it until now. Jim Johnson is in real trouble and could possibly have his career in trouble. It's been a long time since I've seen a very successful pitcher just totally lose it. He's lost it.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #37 by dan72 » August 21st, 2013, 12:45 pm

I agree with a couple points here.
1. The entire BP with the exception of maybe Matusz and Macfarland are gassed. This is why I think Steve Johnson and Kevin Gausman are necessary additions to the bullpen to get us through till the end of the season. Can't wait until September 1st, by then we will be 8-10 games back.
2. Jim Johnson has lost it completely, and I fear that he is hiding an injury. The same injury that has kept him from being a starter.
3. Buck not having guys with options has hampered his ability to spell the BP and mix and match against teams/ situationally.

I will be the first to admit that I was wrong about this years team. I thought that adding the 3 pitchers would be what we needed to get to the post season. Now with each loss I see the season slipping away. There are to many other teams that are in the mix for us to come out of the pack with a play off birth. Our schedule down the stretch is brutal and if we can not win 2/3 or sweep against AL East teams we will not make the playoffs. At this point that looks like a long shot.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #38 by LA Detective » August 22nd, 2013, 1:47 pm

dan72 wrote:At this point that looks like a long shot.

I too believe this is true and I have been very positive about our team all year. It seems we are good enough to play every game tough but there are no easy wins. We just dont seem to make it easy for various reasons mentioned repeatively. With our schedule it will be tough to be much over .500 the rest of the way.

BUT....I believe that 24-11 the rest of the way gets us in. To get there:

1. The SP has been good lately but a lift from Hammel, Gausman, or maybe Wada would be huge. We are going to need a 6th starter with so many games in a row. We all would like to see them go deeper and this has been our #1 problem all year but this might not be as important when rosters expand in about a week and we should have good depth to pitch in the 6th or 7th...At this time of the year I will take 5 or maybe 6 great innings.

2. That JJ does catch his breath and gets right. Either closing or in the setup roll we are going to need him.

3. We have to, have to, have to cure this DH problem. We are horrible and it is a hole that causes more stress on the rest of the lineup. We need a solid bat that can hit approx. .800 OPS for the stretch. There are only a few options out there but it is a must (without giving up a Top 7 prospect. Probably more of a money situation). It would make the O flow easier and would probably help our manafacturing runs situation. It is a long shot WB is the answer. He has had too much time off to be trying to find his swing these last 35 games.

4. Markakis needs to get hot...I still say lead him off and see if that does the trick. Stats show yes. Either way we need his bat.

I don't think we are in a hopeless situation. But we do need a lift and this is possible.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #39 by ofahn » August 24th, 2013, 9:57 am

dan72 wrote:Jim Johnson has lost it completely

I disagree. I just think he's been over worked and needs the opportunity to rest down the stretch.

Buck used him in games early in the year that weren't necessary and now we're paying for it.

dan72 wrote:I will be the first to admit that I was wrong about this years team. I thought that adding the 3 pitchers would be what we needed to get to the post season.

My prediction in ST was that we would win 85 games. I said that because I had serious doubts about our SP and our ability to manufacture runs. I wish I would have been wrong.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #40 by ofahn » August 24th, 2013, 10:00 am

LA Detective wrote:I believe that 24-11 the rest of the way gets us in

IMO we don't have the SP or the ability to manufacture runs that would allow us to make a run even remotely like that. I don't think the team will quit; but no matter how hard they try, some horse are just slower than others.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles