Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

The Indians Designated Mark Reynolds For Assignment Today

The Indians Designated Mark Reynolds For Assignment Today

PostPost #1 by osforlife » August 8th, 2013, 8:45 pm

First of all, DD successfully completed a series of transactions earlier this year by declining his club option, non-tendering him during arbitration, and deciding not to re-sign him during the off-season despite a significantly lower cost. I think the Orioles should keep in mind that Mark Reynolds is a very bad player. He doesn't provide value on the base-paths, plays horrible defense at third, plays mediocre defense at first, and despite a great walk rate, he doesn't put up good on-base percentages. That being said, Mark Reynolds is a perfectly bad player capable of carrying a team for a month at a time. I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him, although he would probably go to some team where he could get more consistent at-bats, but it couldn't hurt to ask. Ryan Flaherty hardly plays at all and would benefit from some at-bats in AAA.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: The Indians Designated Mark Reynolds For Assignment Today

PostPost #2 by ofahn » August 8th, 2013, 9:09 pm

osforlife wrote:That being said, Mark Reynolds is a perfectly bad player capable of carrying a team for a month at a time. I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him

I agree.

I would sign him to a AAA contract and if he gets hot I would bring him to Baltimore and ride him until he gets cold again. Then he's gone. If he gives us a stretch of 20 or so hot games it could make the difference on getting to the wildcard game.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by osforlife » August 9th, 2013, 9:56 am

ofahn wrote:I agree.

I would sign him to a AAA contract and if he gets hot I would bring him to Baltimore and ride him until he gets cold again. Then he's gone. If he gives us a stretch of 20 or so hot games it could make the difference on getting to the wildcard game.

I couldn't have said it any better.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by LA Detective » August 9th, 2013, 2:49 pm

At first I was, "No Way." He has proven there are obvious holes to his swing/approach and they only get further exposed during the time of the season when scouting reports play an even bigger part in the game. I am still holding out for a DH trade. It is the only part of the club we can control right now outside the organization. We won't get a top starter, we won't add to the pen. It is what is is.

BUT....

1. As mentioned on another thread there probably isnt a smart move out there for a DH.
2. Although I am very impressed with young Hank and he shows promise for the future, he isnt the answer now. It is an area we have the most control to improve in.

SO...

If we dont have some kind of deal that is good for us that is about to happen, I would rather take a risk on MR that there is some spark there. Much of sports is about confidence. How much of a confidence builder would it be that his old team and team mates he loves bring him back during the heat of a pennant race? Could be just be enough to work for a short time.

I say sign him today and send him to Bowie for a week. Bring him back up next Friday when we need a DH and give him a shot. There is no other option in our organization that can do what he did for about 20 games last August and early Sept and what he did in April for the Indians. That is carry a team.

I would bat him 9th. One, he gets on enough to turn the line up over and two, he would probably see better pitches as I wouldnt want to walk him if I was a pitcher to then face the top of our order. More so if Markakis was leading off. The numbers dont lie but that is another conversation.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #5 by Seafordeagles » August 9th, 2013, 3:12 pm

Who do you drop off the 40 man roster if you add Reynolds?
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #6 by LA Detective » August 9th, 2013, 3:21 pm

Thames or Stinson. Gausman, SJohnson, Wada and Hammel and maybe a pen guy or two would be ahead of Stinson. I really cant see him pitching for us in any capacity the rest of the year. I would only see a future depth value maybe.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #7 by Seafordeagles » August 9th, 2013, 3:28 pm

sounds good.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #8 by ofahn » August 9th, 2013, 3:34 pm

LA Detective wrote:Thames or Stinson. Gausman, SJohnson, Wada and Hammel and maybe a pen guy or two would be ahead of Stinson. I really cant see him pitching for us in any capacity the rest of the year. I would only see a future depth value maybe.

Stinson probably wouldn't make it through waivers, but Thames almost certainly would.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by osforlife » August 9th, 2013, 6:07 pm

Eric Thames has a .324/.401/.533 slash line in AAA. He has a successful season in the big leagues in 2011. He has power and average-to-above average speed. Stinson, has a 4.75 ERA in 208 innings in AAA with a 1.469 WHIP and a 1.44 K/BB. Why would Stinson get claimed and not Thames?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by ofahn » August 9th, 2013, 6:16 pm

osforlife wrote:Why would Stinson get claimed and not Thames?

Thames is a AAAA OF. In other words - a dime a dozen. Young pitchers always seem to get more chances than 4A OFs.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by osforlife » August 9th, 2013, 6:26 pm

ofahn wrote:Thames is a AAAA OF. In other words - a dime a dozen. Young pitchers always seem to get more chances than 4A OFs.

Thames has better numbers than Hoes in AAA, yet you seem to be high on LJ.?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by ofahn » August 9th, 2013, 8:33 pm

osforlife wrote:Thames has better numbers than Hoes in AAA, yet you seem to be high on LJ.?

Thames is 26 and has never had an OBA above .325 in the majors. Hoes is 23 and has been consistently improving. In fact, Hoes has an OPS in his first 26 ABs with Houston about equal to what Thames had in his last season in the majors. I don't see this as a hard choice.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by osforlife » August 9th, 2013, 9:33 pm

ofahn wrote:Thames is 26 and has never had an OBA above .325 in the majors. Hoes is 23 and has been consistently improving. In fact, Hoes has an OPS in his first 26 ABs with Houston about equal to what Thames had in his last season in the majors. I don't see this as a hard choice.

1. But Thames has only had approximately one full season in the majors. He held his own with a .250/.296/.431. That's not that bad for a rookie campaign. He rakes in AAA. He should be given time to prove himself in the majors.
2. Throw out what Hoes has done in the majors so far. At the end of the year I'll see what he has done. 26 ABs is about a week's worth of at-bats; means nothing.
3. Stinson is 25 with no ceiling at all. He doesn't strike enough hitters out, his walk rate isn't impressive, he has a high WHIP wherever he pitches. I'd say Stinson is a borderline major league relief pitcher. At least Thames' numbers are impressive in the minors.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by dan72 » August 10th, 2013, 5:57 am

My first reaction Is a Hard NO for reynolds.... Then I think back to last year and for a 2-3 week stretch Reynolds owned the Yankees. Everyone knows we have 30 games +/- still remaining against the AL East which could drastically swing the standings. The 2012 Orioles do not nake the playoffs without Reynolds hot streak late last year.
We all know Reynolds faults and there are many, but if he can get hot he could again be the difference in making the playoffs this year. Henry Urrutia may actually produce a better OBP than Reynolds would but Reynolds has game changing power. I think I would rather have Reynolds at the plate in a critical late inning AB in August or September.

Gotta wonder how Reynolds would feel coming back here. One would assume that he is kinda salty about the Orioles not bringing him back???
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Return to Baltimore Orioles