Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

What happens when Hammel returns?

Re: What happens when Hammel returns?

PostPost #16 by LA Detective » August 8th, 2013, 1:16 pm

I think the first thing that will be evaluted is: was Jason's bad elbow the main reason for his failures this year? Elbow problems do cause Control problems. And is he cured? Maybe a AAA start or two to evaluate this. With all the off days this month the rotation doesn't need him. If he doesn't prove drastic change then he shouldn't be allowed in the rotation. We then go with a 8 man pen or it will be close to Sept 1 and we just wait to put him in the pen then.

That being said, August 26 until the end of the season there is only one day off (9/16). Thats 4 starts in a row for the entire staff with 4 days rest. Then another 2 or 3 starts like that to end the season. We dont have the type of staff to substain that. Buck will go with a 6th for about 4 or 5 starts the last 5 weeks and will evaluate on the fly.

The 6th will be Hammel, Gausman, Wada or SJohnson. The latter 3 are starting to pitching well in AAA.

I was one of those with my hand up for an extension. Was Hammel hurt or just not as good as I thought? I don't know at this point either way. I like the way he battles and still give hope he can be the second tier ace some of us thought he could be.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #17 by LA Detective » August 8th, 2013, 1:22 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:I've been a tad surprised Britton is still here.

I still say we make one more trade for a DH. We don't need one for another week but I still think there are players being evaluated around the league by the Os staff.

Britton has been so horrible though since his demotion. Hopefully some team has seen his good starts and think there is something there and just needs a change. His stats sure look like he didnt take his demotion well.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

PostPost #18 by Seafordeagles » August 8th, 2013, 2:02 pm

osforlife wrote:Jonathan Schoop needs at least one more year in AAA.

I don't totally agree. There is going to be an opening at 2nd base next year and i say may the best man win. Whether it's Schoop, Flaherty, Casilla, or even Brian Roberts (remember he's a Angelos favorite).
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #19 by osforlife » August 8th, 2013, 2:29 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
I don't totally agree. There is going to be an opening at 2nd base next year and i say may the best man win. Whether it's Schoop, Flaherty, Casilla, or even Brian Roberts (remember he's a Angelos favorite).

That could be the case, I just hope they don't rush Schoop. His OBP is under .300 in AAA. I don't think he would be an ideal match just yet.

Roberts is a free agent after the season. I hope they don't bring him back. He can't stay on the field, doesn't produce when he is on the field, and hasn't played anything but second base in over ten years.

Casilla has a $3MM club option for 2014. I think the O's will decline, unless they plan on him being the everyday second baseman next year. I don't think he'd be terrible. He's not a good hitter, but most of his value comes from his speed and defense. 30 net steals and great defense for $3MM and I'll take it.

Flaherty's been practically the exact same player as last year. His OBP in AAA is under .300. I think he could be the Orioles Ben Zobrist one day, but give the man some at-bats. A full year in AAA would be awesome for him IMO. Then in 2015 he play everyday spotting our first baseman, our second baseman, our third baseman, our shortstop, our left fielder, our right fielder, and our DH.

I think the Orioles need to sign an Omar Infante or Kelly Johnson to a two year deal.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #20 by Seafordeagles » August 8th, 2013, 3:28 pm

osforlife wrote:That could be the case, I just hope they don't rush Schoop. His OBP is under .300 in AAA. I don't think he would be an ideal match just yet.

Roberts is a free agent after the season. I hope they don't bring him back. He can't stay on the field, doesn't produce when he is on the field, and hasn't played anything but second base in over ten years.

Casilla has a $3MM club option for 2014. I think the O's will decline, unless they plan on him being the everyday second baseman next year. I don't think he'd be terrible. He's not a good hitter, but most of his value comes from his speed and defense. 30 net steals and great defense for $3MM and I'll take it.

Flaherty's been practically the exact same player as last year. His OBP in AAA is under .300. I think he could be the Orioles Ben Zobrist one day, but give the man some at-bats. A full year in AAA would be awesome for him IMO. Then in 2015 he play everyday spotting our first baseman, our second baseman, our third baseman, our shortstop, our left fielder, our right fielder, and our DH.

I think the Orioles need to sign an Omar Infante or Kelly Johnson to a two year deal.

I believe Schoop had a broken bone in his back. That may have something to do with his OBP. I really think AAA is way overrated and the majority of better players seem to be at AA. Tripe A is like a dumping ground for players that aren't good enough for the major leagues or reclamation projects.

I would rather see Schoop now actually in Double A ball where he would be facing better prospects.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #21 by osforlife » August 8th, 2013, 7:48 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
I believe Schoop had a broken bone in his back. That may have something to do with his OBP. I really think AAA is way overrated and the majority of better players seem to be at AA. Tripe A is like a dumping ground for players that aren't good enough for the major leagues or reclamation projects.

I would rather see Schoop now actually in Double A ball where he would be facing better prospects.

It's probably debatable, but even if one goes with that approach, he didn't even do that well in AA in 2012. I think he needs more time in the minors.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by Seafordeagles » August 8th, 2013, 8:45 pm

osforlife wrote:It's probably debatable, but even if one goes with that approach, he didn't even do that well in AA in 2012. I think he needs more time in the minors.

But not necessarily the whole year as you stated earlier. I have no problem if he "does" stay in the minors all next season but if he's ready than by all means bring him up.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #23 by osforlife » August 8th, 2013, 8:50 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
But not necessarily the whole year as you stated earlier. I have no problem if he "does" stay in the minors all next season but if he's ready than by all means bring him up.

Oh yeah if he is raking, we will most likely be in another playoff hunt and will need to play the best players. That's why I would like to sign Omar Infante or Kelly Johnson. They can play other positions, so if Schoop is deemed ready, Infante or Johnson could still get at-bats.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by ofahn » August 8th, 2013, 8:57 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Think back a year ago, many people were carrying the banner "Extend Hammel" around like it was a no brainer.

I also suggested that we extend Hammel as an alternative to some lunatic contract like Edwin Jackson's; however, I was very clear that the parameters of the deal should be established during the off season but the contract wasn't to be finalized until we had a chance to see whether the knee would hold up. Probably, sometime around the end of April.

The ironic thing is that we might have an advantage if we want to sign him to a one year contract this winter. We'll know better than any other team if he's really healthy again. If he is, something around this year's salary would be fair. If not, good luck Jason.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #25 by ofahn » August 8th, 2013, 8:59 pm

LA Detective wrote:I still say we make one more trade for a DH.

I just don't see the right player being available through August regardless of their salary.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by ofahn » August 8th, 2013, 9:05 pm

osforlife wrote:That could be the case, I just hope they don't rush Schoop. His OBP is under .300 in AAA. I don't think he would be an ideal match just yet.

I agree, but I think that sending him to the AFL again would do him some good. He missed most of this season so he needs the opportunity to play against quality talent.

The AFL is normally a hitter's league, but if Schoop can keep his OBA above about .375 he should be considered a legit candidate for the 2B job in the spring. A solid performance by Schoop there and he and Flaherty are my 2B candidates for the 2014 season UNLESS we trade one of our softball players and land a solid 2B prospect (Kolten Wong?).
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by LA Detective » August 9th, 2013, 2:57 pm

ofahn wrote:The ironic thing is that we might have an advantage if we want to sign him to a one year contract this winter. We'll know better than any other team if he's really healthy again. If he is, something around this year's salary would be fair. If not, good luck Jason.

With you on this one. I still say if Healthy that he is capable of his best full season in the future. A one year, maybe with incentives. Just gives us more depth for next year.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles