Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Game 108: Astros @ Orioles 7/31/2013

Game 108: Astros @ Orioles 7/31/2013

PostPost #1 by ofahn » July 31st, 2013, 4:43 pm

HOU: Oberholtzer (0-0, 7.36)
BAL: Gonzalez, M (8-4, 3.69)

If we win tonight we will be on a 90 win pace.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Game 108: Astros @ Orioles 7/31/2013

PostPost #2 by osforlife » August 1st, 2013, 11:13 am

Miguel Gonzalez has had two ugly starts in a row, which has risen his ERA from 3.34 to 3.88. Gonzalez had been pitching very well since the end of April. I'm not worried about this, because baseball is full of trends. If a player is going playing great or not, that player USUALLY will revert back to his career norms, whether it takes an extreme slump or an extreme hot streak. Miguel Gonzalez is good, but I don't think he is low 3.00 ERA good. He might struggle, and then get back to from, whatever. I'm not worried.

That being said, I get extremely angry at fans that boo a good player, who is in a cold streak or had a bad game. Gonzalez has been one of our best pitchers all year, and just because he had a bad start, you're going to boo him? I feel like if one should boo a player, they don't deserve to cheer when he does well.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by ofahn » August 1st, 2013, 11:33 am

osforlife wrote:Miguel Gonzalez has had two ugly starts in a row, which has risen his ERA from 3.34 to 3.88. Gonzalez had been pitching very well since the end of April. I'm not worried about this, because baseball is full of trends. If a player is going playing great or not, that player USUALLY will revert back to his career norms, whether it takes an extreme slump or an extreme hot streak. Miguel Gonzalez is good, but I don't think he is low 3.00 ERA good. He might struggle, and then get back to from, whatever. I'm not worried.

IMO Miguel Gonzalez has the upside of a #3 SP. Considering that half of his starts will be in Camden Yards and that about 40% of his starts will be against the AL East I believe an ERA of about 3.75 is VERY reasonable for a #3 SP.

osforlife wrote:That being said, I get extremely angry at fans that boo a good player, who is in a cold streak or had a bad game. Gonzalez has been one of our best pitchers all year, and just because he had a bad start, you're going to boo him? I feel like if one should boo a player, they don't deserve to cheer when he does well.

If the fans wanted to boo anybody yesterday how about the line up that worked the count for exactly NO walks against a rookie pitcher, and allowed him to get through seven innings on 87 pitches?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by osforlife » August 1st, 2013, 11:57 am

The offense is really struggling as of late. Since July 23rd, we have only eclipsed four runs once, and have averaged 2.4 runs a game.
Also, the Astros starting pitcher's last name was Oberholtzer. The next relief pitcher's last name was Lo. That may be the largest differential between letters in a starter's last name and a reliever's last name ever.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #5 by Rising O's » August 1st, 2013, 11:13 pm

People sometimes need an adjustment period when there is a newborn in the house.

The fans booing one of our most consistent pitchers after a poor start well... :roll:
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

Return to Game Threads