Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Trade Hoes To Astros For Bud Norris

Orioles Trade Hoes To Astros For Bud Norris

PostPost #1 by ofahn » July 31st, 2013, 2:48 pm

By Steve Adams [July 31, 2013 at 2:35pm CST]

The Orioles and Astros have agreed to a trade that will send Bud Norris to Baltimore for L.J. Hoes and another piece, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter).

Norris, 28, has a 3.93 ERA with 6.4 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9 in 126 innings with the Astros this season. Despite being Houston's highest paid player, Norris is earning just $3MM in 2013. He is controlled through 2015 and is eligible for arbitration for the second time this offseason.

Hoes, a 23-year-old outfielder, ranked as Baltimore's No. 6 prospect prior to the season according to Baseball America. Selected by the Orioles in the third round of the 2008 draft, Hoes is batting .304/.406/.403 in 430 plate appearances for Triple-A Norfolk this season. BA notes that Hoes is a pure hitter with a nice line-drive swing with plenty of patience that should lead to high on-base percentages. If his power develops, he profiles as an everyday left fielder, according to BA.

At least we got something more than a rental for Hoes although it raises the question as to whether the team believes they can make an average or better LF out of Urrutia or they can extend McLouth.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/o ... orris.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Orioles Trade Hoes To Astros For Bud Norris

PostPost #2 by ofahn » July 31st, 2013, 2:51 pm

**UPDATE**

It's now being reported that the Orioles will include LH SP Josh Hader and their Competitive Balance Pick for next year. I see this as an overpay.

The Orioles will also send Josh Hader and their Competitive Balance pick to the Astros, according to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun (on Twitter).

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/o ... orris.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #3 by Zach » July 31st, 2013, 2:56 pm

According to Danny Knobler, there might be a switch in the other prospect (someone besides Hader) https://twitter.com/DannyKnoblerCBS/sta ... 3542003712
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #4 by ofahn » July 31st, 2013, 2:59 pm

This trade also raises the question of which SP will be going to the bullpen. It would almost certainly seem to be Hammel, but who would he replace or is the team going to go with a three man bench for awhile.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Zach » July 31st, 2013, 3:25 pm

Looks like Hammel is headed to the DL with a sore arm so that answers the question for the short run.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #6 by ofahn » July 31st, 2013, 3:34 pm

Zach wrote:Looks like Hammel is headed to the DL with a sore arm so that answers the question for the short run.

If Hammel goes on the DL then who gets called up?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Old Sneakers » July 31st, 2013, 3:36 pm

Going to miss following Hader develop. Also going to miss that competitive balance choice. At least this deal gives us a 2+ year player. All I know is that he's been pretty good in the HR surrendered department outside of the AL East. But he's not a true inning eater (thus far into his career). Let's hope he becomes a workhorse the next two plus years.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #8 by Old Sneakers » July 31st, 2013, 3:39 pm

ofahn wrote:If Hammel goes on the DL then who gets called up?

Britton would be my guess.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #9 by ofahn » July 31st, 2013, 3:43 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:
Britton would be my guess.

If that's true then we're back to a three man bench. I would think it would be a position player.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by ofahn » July 31st, 2013, 3:46 pm

They're bringing back Steve Pearce from the DL.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Seafordeagles » July 31st, 2013, 3:49 pm

I'm not sure if I like this trade or if I don't like it. I'm fine with Hoes but Hader really intrigued me.

Have to give Dan credit, he's working really hard.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #12 by ofahn » July 31st, 2013, 3:54 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:I'm not sure if I like this trade or if I don't like it. I'm fine with Hoes but Hader really intrigued me.

I felt that Hader AND the Comp Pick was an overpay.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by ljmillar22 » July 31st, 2013, 4:17 pm

WAAAYYY more than we should spend, or even have to spend in prospects.[/quote]

I think that it was a great deal, i dont really rate hoes that much and hader is 2-3 seasons away from contributing, the quote above is from a previous topic about norris and i think that not giving up a top 10 ( i dont value hoes as a top 10 prospect personally) prospect is a great effort on the FO side of matters
ljmillar22
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #14 by ofahn » July 31st, 2013, 4:55 pm

ljmillar22 wrote:WAAAYYY more than we should spend, or even have to spend in prospects.

I think that it was a great deal, i dont really rate hoes that much and hader is 2-3 seasons away from contributing, the quote above is from a previous topic about norris and i think that not giving up a top 10 ( i dont value hoes as a top 10 prospect personally) prospect is a great effort on the FO side of matters

What bothered me was giving up Hader AND the Comp Pick. We used our comp pick this year on Josh Hart so there's real value there.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by LA Detective » July 31st, 2013, 7:49 pm

I don't really understand the Astros making the deal? Cheaply under control thru 2015. Solid and young. I think it is great for us . Not that Norris will save the world but his value is far greater than what we traded. Those guys we gave up r more replaceable

Sure explains Hammel. This is why they made the trade and made it a must trade. If Jason isn't badly injured then I don't think we have heard the last from him.

We are not done. The " put on waivers" guys r coming up. Some guys Coming off the DL. I still believe we get a DH.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles