Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

O's targeting Chris Sale/Norris

O's targeting Chris Sale/Norris

PostPost #1 by Dons0's » July 30th, 2013, 9:36 am

The Orioles currently stand to take the second wild card spot in the American League, and they've already bolstered their pitching staff with the additions of Scott Feldman and Francisco Rodriguez. Here's the latest on their trade targets, courtesy of Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun:

Connolly feels the Phillies' Michael Young is the best fit for the Orioles at DH, but the team hasn't made an aggressive push for him at this point. Connolly expects Young to go elsewhere if traded.

The Orioles are interested in the Mets' Marlon Byrd. However, Andy Martino of the New York Daily News writes today that Byrd is "highly unlikely" to be traded. Connolly also believes Mariners lefty reliever Oliver Perez is the most likely player to be acquired by the Orioles.

I just don't understand the need to trade for more offense. The hitting will come back around, the O's need PITCHING. I beleive to get Sale we would have to include Bundy/Schoop or Gausman with someone else.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/o ... perez.html
Dons0's
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: O's targeting Chris Sale/Norris

PostPost #2 by ofahn » July 30th, 2013, 10:50 am

IF the White Sox are willing to trade Chris Sale IMO the Orioles should offer them Gausman, Wright OR Schoop, and Christian Walker plus an additional lessor prospect if Chicago wants that to dress up the trade.

Sale is EXACTLY what we are hoping Gausman will turn into and he is controlled through 2018 at a very reasonable contract. This would empty the top half of the farm system, but all three of these guys are prospects and Sale is a proven TOR SP. NOT a hard decision.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Seafordeagles » July 30th, 2013, 1:34 pm

Why in the world would a team trade Chris Sale, their best player, who is under team control for a few more years and has team options for 2018-2019. You build around that player.

Chris Sale is going no where so just forget what these hack writers are saying.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #4 by Old Sneakers » July 30th, 2013, 4:43 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Why in the world would a team trade Chris Sale, their best player, who is under team control for a few more years and has team options for 2018-2019. You build around that player.

Chris Sale is going no where so just forget what these hack writers are saying.

Looks like someone just earned the common sense rep point of the day!!! :lol:
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #5 by ofahn » July 30th, 2013, 5:14 pm

Trading Sale is not as absurd as it would seem on the surface.

First, their has been a ton of smoke about the White Sox moving him over the last six weeks. Sure, smoke isn't fire but THAT much smoke has to have at least someone in the Chicago FO rubbing a couple of sticks together. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/chris-sale/

Second, the Sox are a mess. They have needs all over the diamond and not enough in their farm system to fill the holes. It's not unreasonable to THINK about moving a valuable piece like Sale IF that will fill two or three holes, particularly when they would get a player like Gausman back as part of the trade.

Frankly, I don't think Sale will be traded by tomorrow, BUT I wouldn't be surprised if Rick Hahn hasn't been taking notes that might turn into something in November or December.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by dan72 » July 30th, 2013, 7:05 pm

If the Orioles continue their losing ways it won't matter if we aquire Cy Young and Christy Matthewson in trade. The birds got beat up by KC then Boston and now the Astros are stealing home? The Astros???? I can get a group of my buddies together that would beat the Astros. These are games we have to win. Davis's bat is ICE cold, Hammel has been bad, entire offense has been cold coming out of the brake.
Bottom line, Sale would be great, I can't see the Orioles trading Gausman, he seems to be the most valuable prospect we have. I don't think we have enough to go after Sale. We didn't have enough for Garza. I feel Bud Norris is more the Orioles speed, but honestly he is not much better than Hammel? So in my opinion he's not worth much of a prospect. Bedard is a hard no. IMO Britton is better than Bedard.
Offense has to get it going to offset our below average pitching, thats the way it has to roll when management won't go after a real top line ace.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #7 by Rising O's » July 30th, 2013, 7:20 pm

This team needs a RH DH type, desperately. Someone has got to protect Davis and that someone is not Matt Wieters.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #8 by ofahn » July 30th, 2013, 7:20 pm

Trading for sale wouldn't be for this year, it would be for the last five years of his contract. I wouldn't spend any more assets trying to get this team into the playoffs.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Dons0's » July 31st, 2013, 12:39 am

ofahn wrote:Trading for sale wouldn't be for this year, it would be for the last five years of his contract. I wouldn't spend any more assets trying to get this team into the playoffs.

It's called moving Davis up to the 4 spot and Jones to the 5 spot.

1. McLouth
2. Markakis
3. Machado
4. Davis
5. Jones
6. Weiters
7. Hardy
8. Roberts
9. Urrutia
Dons0's
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0