Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

MLB Trade Rumors Reports Orioles Willing To Move Dylan Bundy

MLB Trade Rumors Reports Orioles Willing To Move Dylan Bundy

PostPost #1 by ofahn » July 29th, 2013, 2:19 pm

By Tim Dierkes [July 29, 2013 at 8:39am CST]

The aggressive Orioles are "even willing to move" top prospect Dylan Bundy "for the right return," sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Perhaps any player can be moved for the right return, but Rosenthal's report implies the Orioles are more willing to listen on Bundy than teams usually are on top prospects.

Bundy, 20, was generally regarded as one of the three best prospects in baseball prior to the season. He was drafted fourth overall in 2011 out of high school and rocketed through the minors last year despite delicate handling by the Orioles. However, the righty underwent Tommy John surgery last month, dropping him to 11th on Keith Law's midseason list for ESPN and 17th on Baseball America's list.

The Orioles are targeting Jake Peavy, Justin Morneau, and Michael Young, writes Rosenthal, confirming previous reports. I think it's clear Bundy would not be involved in discussions for those players, even Peavy. I imagine a Bundy trade is unlikely, but if he is dealt, it would involve a big name not currently in the rumor mill much. As Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports noted, Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos has the ability to be a game-changer, on the remote chance he gets an offer enticing enough to move Jose Bautista or Edwin Encarnacion.

I'm not surprised by this. I posted earlier that Bundy's ML contract has complicated the team's ability to develop him as a SP now that they consider themselves a contender each year. I even implied that he was no longer untouchable.

If I were DD I would speed dial Theo Epstein in Chicago and offer him Bundy and Eduardo Rodriguez for RH SP Jeff Samardzija. Epstein would probably want Mike Wright instead of Rodriguez and I would agree to it. Samardzija would give us a quality SP that we would control through 2015 at a reasonable price. IMO this would be a better trade than for Jake Peavy. Not because Peavy isn't a slightly better pitcher; he is, but we would only control Peavy through next season at about 10M more than we would pay Samardzija next year. There's also the issue of Peavy's injury history.

On a team that seems to count pennies every year that could mean the difference in signing a solid veteran SP on a one year deal to fill the #5 spot in our rotation. I just see it as naive to expect that Gausman/McFarland/Britton/Steve Johnson will be a lock to effectively fill that spot and we should plan accordingly.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/o ... bundy.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: MLB Trade Rumors Reports Orioles Willing To Move Dylan Bundy

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » July 29th, 2013, 3:47 pm

This from MLB trade rumors:

3:36pm: Regarding the Bundy rumor, Orioles executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette said, "That probably came from someone who wants to trade for the player," according to Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #3 by Seafordeagles » July 29th, 2013, 3:48 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:This from MLB trade rumors:

3:36pm: Regarding the Bundy rumor, Orioles executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette said, "That probably came from someone who wants to trade for the player," according to Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com.

Just goes to show, don't believe anyone when it comes to rumors.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #4 by ofahn » July 29th, 2013, 5:28 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
Just goes to show, don't believe anyone when it comes to rumors.

The same post ALSO says that the FO did consider moving him last winter.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Seafordeagles » July 29th, 2013, 6:01 pm

The same post said this:

The Orioles will listen to offers for any player. No one is deemed "untouchable." But as I've stated all day in the comments section of this blog and on Twitter, the club would have to be overwhelmed to relinquish Bundy, top pitching prospect Kevin Gausman or top position prospect Jonathan Schoop.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #6 by ofahn » July 29th, 2013, 6:35 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:The same post said this:

The Orioles will listen to offers for any player. No one is deemed "untouchable." But as I've stated all day in the comments section of this blog and on Twitter, the club would have to be overwhelmed to relinquish Bundy, top pitching prospect Kevin Gausman or top position prospect Jonathan Schoop.

...and your point is?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Dons0's » July 29th, 2013, 11:47 pm

Trade him. They should also move the fences back at Camden Yards. Or else, we will never attract good pitching.
Dons0's
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #8 by Old Sneakers » July 30th, 2013, 5:42 am

Right player for the right price. This is all you need to know. As for Dylan Bundy, the ML Contract and TJ Surgery do make things a tad more trade worthy. For me, this ML contract nonsense for a draftee has proven foolish.

This team has lots of needs now and down the line. Starting pitching is atop that list. Throw in 2B, SS, CF and C and it's a very long list of needs. Each and every year this is what player acquisitions need to focus on. Doesn't matter if it is via trade, winter meetings, Rule 5 draft, amateur draft or waiver wire.

I wouldn't move top prospects for just one or two year rentals. If your going to do something with a trade do something that yields on field results now and in the future. Yes, that restricts big moves but it doesn't hand cuff you.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #9 by Seafordeagles » July 30th, 2013, 7:36 am

Old Sneakers wrote:Throw in 2B, SS, CF and C and it's a very long list of needs.

You're joking about CF, SS , and C right?
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by dan72 » July 30th, 2013, 7:41 am

If the club is considering a trade including Bundy, what we get in return better be real special. Not goingto lie, if I were DD I would consider trading Bundy.
Eventually I think Bundy will be a solid starting pitcher, so what it come down to is what is the return? If I were another team, I would not give much for a guy that just had TJ surgery. I would not bet on DB going anywhere.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #11 by ofahn » July 30th, 2013, 8:58 am

Old Sneakers wrote:Throw in 2B, SS, CF and C and it's a very long list of needs.

Are you referring to long term needs?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Dons0's » July 30th, 2013, 9:32 am

The farm system is depleted, we need to stock up on more young talent to be honest. Gausman is our #1 in the system now and he is getting smacked around at Norfolk.
Dons0's
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #13 by Old Sneakers » July 30th, 2013, 7:36 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
You're joking about CF, SS , and C right?

No I absolutely am not. 2B, SS, 2B and C rarely stick at these positions and rarely make it to the ML.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #14 by Old Sneakers » July 30th, 2013, 7:38 pm

ofahn wrote:Are you referring to long term needs?

Yes. Also if you ever have an extra piece (hardly ever in this town) then you have a good trade chip.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles