Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Acquire Francisco Rodriguez From Brewers

Re: Orioles Acquire Francisco Rodriguez From Brewers

PostPost #16 by osforlife » July 27th, 2013, 6:49 pm

Meh. I'd rather keep Delmonico honestly. Sure, he had no position, but the O's could have developed him to be a utility player (1B, 3B, DH, LF, RF). I don't think there is any denying that K-Rod isn't a good relief pitcher, or hasn't had a great career, but really? Delmonico is nothing special, but he was our...5th best prospect.? The O's are giving him up for two months of a relief pitcher due for significant regression? Keep in mind that eight of our top ten prospects are pitchers, and Delmonico was our 2nd best minor league position prospect. I feel like we could have packaged him into a better trade.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #17 by ofahn » July 27th, 2013, 8:45 pm

osforlife wrote:Meh. I'd rather keep Delmonico honestly.

I've been saying all along that this isn't a championship team.

I would have been strategically selling to get the right pieces to build a much better team for next season.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #18 by osforlife » July 28th, 2013, 10:56 am

ofahn wrote:
I've been saying all along that this isn't a championship team.

I would have been strategically selling to get the right pieces to build a much better team for next season.

I liked the Feldman trade. Not this one. I think we're a playoff team. We currently have the second wild card.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #19 by osforlife » July 30th, 2013, 11:48 am

ofahn wrote:
I'd see what we could get for Patton this winter and allow Matusz, Britton, Pettit, Belfiore, and Chris Jones to fight it out for the two LH bullpen spots next spring.

Any reason why you would dangle Patton over Matusz? They are both arbitration eligible after this year, and his the open market after the 2016 season, so controllable years isn't a problem. But Matusz has more trade value. He is having the slightly better season, and some teams might think there is a chance to convert him back to a starter. Plus, they will both get a raise this winter, but Matusz seems to get a higher raise because of the slightly better season, on top of the fact that he was already twice as expensive in the first place.

That being said, I wouldn't trade either. Although starters, Britton and Pettit are struggling in the minors. Jones and Belfiore have pretty ERA's, but horrid WHIP's. Maybe it will be better to have them stay in the minors, and get called up if deemed worthy.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #20 by ofahn » July 30th, 2013, 12:27 pm

osforlife wrote:Any reason why you would dangle Patton over Matusz?

No.

I used to consider Matusz more valuable than Patton, but not anymore.

I agree that Matusz could be evaluated by some teams as still having SP potential so we could probably get more for him.

IMO Britton and Pettit are the classic SPs whom can't seem to successfully get through a lineup more than once. That doesn't mean they can't be successful relievers. See Johnson, Jim; and Hunter, Tommy.

I included Jones and Belfiore in the mix so there will be competition. ALWAYS a good thing.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by ofahn » July 30th, 2013, 12:31 pm

osforlife wrote:I think we're a playoff team. We currently have the second wild card.

I agree, BUT we're not a CHAMPIONSHIP team and I question why we would invest so many assets on a team that would be lucky to make the post season and flame out in the first or second round. Particularly, when it comes at the expense of the chance to possibly get to the WS next year.

This is a team that could get to the ALDS and win two games by an average score of 12 - 4 and lose the other three by an average score of 4 - 2. WE....CAN'T....MANUFACTURE....RUNS!

We've traded all of our expendable prospects that other teams would be willing to give up value for. Anything we trade now will substantially impact on our future.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by osforlife » July 30th, 2013, 3:59 pm

ofahn wrote:I agree, BUT we're not a CHAMPIONSHIP team and I question why we would invest so many assets on a team that would be lucky to make the post season and flame out in the first or second round. Particularly, when it comes at the expense of the chance to possibly get to the WS next year.

This is a team that could get to the ALDS and win two games by an average score of 12 - 4 and lose the other three by an average score of 4 - 2. WE....CAN'T....MANUFACTURE....RUNS!

We've traded all of our expendable prospects that other teams would be willing to give up value for. Anything we trade now will substantially impact on our future.

If a team is good enough to win a playoff spot, they are good enough to win a championship. Anything can happen in the playoffs. Therefore, a playoff team is a championship team. Do I think the Orioles are the best team in baseball, or even the league, or even the division? No. However, I am confident this team will win a wild card. But once a team makes it to the playoffs, one can basically toss all odds out the window.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles