Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Acquire Francisco Rodriguez From Brewers

Orioles Acquire Francisco Rodriguez From Brewers

PostPost #1 by Seafordeagles » July 23rd, 2013, 7:43 pm

I like this move..................

The Orioles have acquired right-hander Francisco Rodriguez from the Brewers in exchange for minor league infielder Nick Delmonico, according to a team press release. Nolan Reimold has been transferred to the 60-day DL to create 40-man roster space in a corresponding move.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

Re: Orioles Acquire Francisco Rodriguez From Brewers

PostPost #2 by ofahn » July 23rd, 2013, 7:54 pm

Here's the link for the MLB Trade Rumors post.

Delmonico is about the only prospect we could have afforded to give up because he doesn't have a position. It's a shame that the Brewers couldn't have mistaken Delmonico for Jason Hammel and taken him instead. He's throwing another clunker tonight.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/o ... ewers.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by dan72 » July 23rd, 2013, 9:07 pm

Like this move a lot....I had anticipated a move to get a bull pen arm. I think Delmonico is over rated, so the team did well to sell high before he became another failed prospect. I din't see him staying healthy or hitting for average/ OBP.... yes he has some pop but he is 21 and there is a log jam at 1b and 3b, and he was a butcher defensively.

From this move, I do assume that Buck does not trust Hunter with the 8th inning or does he want to keep Hunter as an option for multiple inning situations? Either way this move helps the team towards its goal of making the playoffs, where anything can happen in a short series. Good move DD.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #4 by ofahn » July 23rd, 2013, 9:11 pm

dan72 wrote:I do assume that Buck does not trust Hunter with the 8th inning

I see Rodriguez starting as the eighth inning guy, but I also see him as the back up if Johnson slides again.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Dons0's » July 23rd, 2013, 11:39 pm

Great pickup, He doesn't have a lot of inning used up this season. He will be the 8th inning guy along with O'day. I think Hunnter will be the 7th inning man now.
Dons0's
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #6 by LA Detective » July 24th, 2013, 12:08 am

If he pitches anywhere near his NL stats its a huge move. Gives us a deep pen and keeps JJ /ODay and Hunter fresh. One of the two must moves we needed. A power RH pen guy and a DH. One down.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #7 by LA Detective » July 24th, 2013, 12:37 am

I might stay with the Brewers for the DH spot with either Aoki or Ramirez (if believed to return 100 pct soon ). I'm curious on the price prospect wise. Aoki is a solid hitter. Ramirez would be another big bat. I don't see much else out there that I would want Both would be for next yr although about 15 mill apart. If Ramirez hits like he did in 2011 & 2012 he is worth the contract.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #8 by Old Sneakers » July 24th, 2013, 1:18 am

Thoughts
A- Good move. The Bullpen needed some help.
B- Can we get a decent minor league prospect for Matusz?
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #9 by Dons0's » July 24th, 2013, 8:42 am

Old Sneakers wrote:Thoughts
A- Good move. The Bullpen needed some help.
B- Can we get a decent minor league prospect for Matusz?

And Britton.
Dons0's
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #10 by A_K » July 24th, 2013, 11:59 am

There's nothing special about Delmonico. Just a run-of-the-mill mid-level prospect. Decent bat with no position.

That said, 20 innings of a reliever who isn't very good in the first place doesn't really do anything for me either. Would have rather packaged Delmonico for a better player of some sort, or traded an even worse prospect for bullpen depth with less name recognition.

And it doesn't help that K-Rod beats up women. Not a guy that I'll be rooting for.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #11 by ofahn » July 24th, 2013, 5:45 pm

LA Detective wrote: One of the two must moves we needed. A power RH pen guy and a DH.

I posted the story where a team official claims their "tapped out" financially so if we get a RH DH it's NOT going to be a premier player.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by ofahn » July 24th, 2013, 5:47 pm

LA Detective wrote:I might stay with the Brewers for the DH spot with either Aoki or Ramirez (if believed to return 100 pct soon ). I'm curious on the price prospect wise. Aoki is a solid hitter. Ramirez would be another big bat. I don't see much else out there that I would want Both would be for next yr although about 15 mill apart. If Ramirez hits like he did in 2011 & 2012 he is worth the contract.

With the team crying poverty there's NO WAY their going to shell out the money for Ramirez. Even if we got him for free this year the rest of his inflated contract would wreck this team's payroll next year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by ofahn » July 24th, 2013, 5:50 pm

Old Sneakers wrote: Can we get a decent minor league prospect for Matusz?

I'd see what we could get for Patton this winter and allow Matusz, Britton, Pettit, Belfiore, and Chris Jones to fight it out for the two LH bullpen spots next spring.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by ofahn » July 24th, 2013, 5:51 pm

Dons0's wrote:
And Britton.

See above.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by ofahn » July 24th, 2013, 5:54 pm

A_K wrote:There's nothing special about Delmonico. Just a run-of-the-mill mid-level prospect. Decent bat with no position.

Probably an accurate assessment although the bat had some real upside. I wish we had three more like him in our farm system because, along with pitchers that can throw 98 MPH or better, they're the kind of prospects that other teams seem to over value when evaluating a trade.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles