Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Just for Fun (Maybe Not) : Betemit Spectulation

Re: Just for Fun (Maybe Not) : Betemit Spectulation

PostPost #16 by ofahn » July 18th, 2013, 12:17 pm

1. Wilson Betemit
2. Brian Roberts
3. Nate McLouth
4. Jason Hammel
5. Scott Feldman
6. Tsuyoshi Wada ($5MM option)

It would not surprise me at all were none of those resigned.

I could see Roberts resigned as a bench player/PT DH, Wada resigned to a low guarantee w/ incentives, and McLouth made a qualified offer so we can get a draft pick.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #17 by captainjack » July 18th, 2013, 12:28 pm

I read somewhere that Betemit will not be back this year. We need to sign a legit DH for the stretch drive 8-)
captainjack
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #18 by osforlife » July 18th, 2013, 8:24 pm

ofahn wrote:I could see Roberts resigned as a bench player/PT DH, Wada resigned to a low guarantee w/ incentives, and McLouth made a qualified offer so we can get a draft pick.

1. Honestly, I don't want Brian Roberts anywhere near this team after this year. He's a great guy, I love him to death; he and Nick Markakis were my favorite players as a little kid. But, it would be best to not rely on him AT ALL after this year. A 25-man roster spot would be putting a slight reliance on him. After his last three seasons, I most certainly do not want a injury prone, noneffective veteran on the roster.

2. I'd like to resign Wada to a lesser deal too. He's probably just getting the feel for things down in AAA now. The moment he needed tommy john was the moment his contract turned into a bust. But, if he'd come back and agree that he's not guaranteed a rotation spot, I'd be all for it. Wada did have an ERA below 3.00 and a K/9 above 8 in Japan. IMO, he could definitely provide value somehow in the big leagues, whether that's as a starter, swing man, or strictly a reliever.

3. Next year, the Orioles will have an opening at LF. If Nate McLouth accepts his qualifying offer, the Orioles could ease LJ Hoes into action by platooning him with McLouth & letting Adam Jones/Nick Markakis DH a little against RHP. Hoes hits LHP to an astonishing .288/.447/.411 rate. If Nate McLouth declines his qualifying option, LJ Hoes can simply slide into a full time left field role.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #19 by Seafordeagles » July 18th, 2013, 8:42 pm

Let's see, Urritia or Hoes. I'm certainly not picking Hoes.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #20 by osforlife » July 19th, 2013, 10:20 am

Seafordeagles wrote:Let's see, Urritia or Hoes. I'm certainly not picking Hoes.

First of all, it's Urrutia.
Second of all, neither of them are considered top tier prospects with sky high ceilings. They are both considered borderline major league outfielders, probably 4th outfielders. Fortunately for them, hitting well in the minors can do nothing but help their cause.
Third of all, LJ Hoes is a better defender and base-runner.
Fourth, who says we have to pick one or the other? Both of them could be on the roster next year, even if Nate McLouth returns, and both could still get a signifiant amount of at-bats.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by Seafordeagles » July 19th, 2013, 11:27 am

osforlife wrote:First of all, it's Urrutia.

That statement is totally uncalled for.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #22 by ofahn » July 19th, 2013, 12:19 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:

I was raised that when someone does you a favor you say thank you, not get angry.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by ofahn » July 19th, 2013, 12:22 pm

osforlife wrote: I don't want Brian Roberts anywhere near this team after this year.

I disagree.

There's no question that Roberts is brittle, but he is a leader on this team and players look up to him. IMO he would be an asset on a contract with a modest base and incentives as along as he accepts that he's not the regular 2B anymore.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by ofahn » July 19th, 2013, 12:34 pm

osforlife wrote:neither of them are considered top tier prospects with sky high ceilings. They are both considered borderline major league outfielders, probably 4th outfielders. Fortunately for them, hitting well in the minors can do nothing but help their cause.

,,,LJ Hoes is a better defender and base-runner.

If Hoes can provide above average to plus defense in LF and he and Urrutia can be high OBA hitters then they would make this team better. We REALLY need those kind of players if we want this to be a championship team.

Perhaps this winter we can convert JJ Hardy into 2B Kolten Wong and Jim Johnson into 3B Nick Castellanos. You would be subtracting a low OBA player for one that has had a consistently high OBA at AA and AAA along with an average of one SB for about every 25 ABs. Castellanos is still only 21, but he has shown solid plate discipline and could improve in that area.

THESE are the kind of players we should adding to this team, not the Adam Dunns of this world. We have enough of those kind of all or nothing hitters and that's a big part of our problem.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #25 by osforlife » July 19th, 2013, 12:36 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:

I wasn't mocking you, I was simply correcting you. I'm sorry if it seemed that way, I just wanted to correct your spelling error.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by osforlife » July 27th, 2013, 6:30 pm

ofahn wrote:I disagree.

There's no question that Roberts is brittle, but he is a leader on this team and players look up to him. IMO he would be an asset on a contract with a modest base and incentives as along as he accepts that he's not the regular 2B anymore.

I can see your point of view, but Roberts hasn't played anything but second base in over ten years. He's averaged 38 games the last three years and he'll be 36 years old in a couple months. As for on-field production, I have a very hard time imagining he'll hit for power or steal bases. I'd say he was an above-average defender in his prime, but is he still? I don't think so. Schoop will most likely need more time in the minors, if it were up to me, until he's ready to become a major league producer. But, a Kelly Johnson or Omar Infante in orange intrigues me.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles