Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Recall Danny Valencia And May Recall Urrutia

Orioles Recall Danny Valencia And May Recall Urrutia

PostPost #1 by ofahn » July 18th, 2013, 3:01 pm

Roch Kubatko is reporting in two posts today that the Orioles are recalling RH Danny Valencia, and have flown LH Henry Urrutia to Texas to meet the team when they begin their series with the Rangers tomorrow. It appears that the team is going to make substantial changes to the DH position, which many of the members of this site have been clamoring for.

The big questions is which players will these two replace. Roch is suggesting Flaherty and Reimold, although he also mentions Chris Dickerson as a possibility. IMO sending Flaherty back to Norfolk where he can get to play everyday is in his best interest and putting Reimold on the DL allows the team to audition Urrutia, yet avoid losing Reimold.

I'll be watching the game tomorrow night.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... texas.html

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... texas.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Orioles Recall Danny Valencia And May Recall Urrutia

PostPost #2 by osforlife » July 18th, 2013, 8:28 pm

1. Ryan Flaherty should have been optioned the day Brian Roberts was brought back.

2. Danny Valencia should have never been sent down.

3. I guess it's fine for Urrutia to come up so soon. He is 26 so might as well ink value from his prime. Reimold is definitely not getting it done.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by rudyrooster » July 18th, 2013, 11:14 pm

Bringing up Urrutia is a bold move at this juncture. It's the type of "roll-of-the-dice" decision that they made last season with Machado. Hammerin' Hank (as Buck likes to call him) is not a power hitter. His game at the plate is predicated on base hits and doubles in the gaps. The O's simply have to get more production from the DH position. Perhaps bringing up Urrutia and Valencia is the answer. Maybe they catch "lightning in a bottle"--maybe not. I'm glad to see the organization taking this risk. It's gonna get real interesting for these final 66 games...
rudyrooster
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #4 by Old Sneakers » July 19th, 2013, 4:35 am

This is a surprise to me. I thought he would get a lion's share of outfield work in the minors this season so he might prove valuable there next year in Baltimore. Hopefully this is proves a good move.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #5 by Dons0's » July 19th, 2013, 9:15 am

rudyrooster wrote:Bringing up Urrutia is a bold move at this juncture. It's the type of "roll-of-the-dice" decision that they made last season with Machado. Hammerin' Hank (as Buck likes to call him) is not a power hitter. His game at the plate is predicated on base hits and doubles in the gaps. The O's simply have to get more production from the DH position. Perhaps bringing up Urrutia and Valencia is the answer. Maybe they catch "lightning in a bottle"--maybe not. I'm glad to see the organization taking this risk. It's gonna get real interesting for these final 66 games...

Urrutia has probably proven all he can at the Minor league level(Hitting wise). He might not have hit a HR a Norfolk but he is flat out raking the ball.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.js ... pid=625329

Reimold probably will never get back to his form that he showed promise for a quarter of a season a couple years back. He looks lost at the plate and I think many O's fans are ready to move on.If Urrutia and Valencia can come up and hit at least .240-.260 it will be way better than what Reimold will produce the remainder of the season.
Dons0's
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #6 by captainjack » July 19th, 2013, 12:51 pm

Seems like they both have a two week trial before deadline.
captainjack
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #7 by ofahn » July 19th, 2013, 12:53 pm

captainjack wrote:Seems like they both have a two week trial before deadline.

I don't see what the trade deadline has to do with anything. There's virtually nothing out there worth trading for.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Return to Baltimore Orioles