Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Henry Urrutia contract

Henry Urrutia contract

PostPost #1 by bushwick » July 11th, 2013, 11:18 am

Can anyone tell me what kind of contract he signed and how long we have control of him. I see after last nights 5 for 5 he is hitting .365 in AAA which matches his .365 he hit in AA. I wish we had a place for him to play for us right now. With those numbers and watching Puig do what he is doing it is a exciting thought.
bushwick
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Henry Urrutia contract

PostPost #2 by rudyrooster » July 11th, 2013, 2:08 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTuG-vnL1W0

Perhaps this will answer some questions.
rudyrooster
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #3 by ofahn » July 11th, 2013, 2:15 pm

Urrutia is making good contact at AAA, but he's not squaring up on the ball for power yet. Here's a link to his stats this year. Let's give him at least two more weeks in Norfolk and see whether the doubles and the homers become more common.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minor ... ruti000hen
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » July 11th, 2013, 2:54 pm

My prediction: he is our DH by Aug. 1 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by bushwick » July 11th, 2013, 3:58 pm

rudyrooster wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTuG-vnL1W0

Perhaps this will answer some questions.

Yes that was very helpful thank you!!
bushwick
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #6 by dan72 » July 11th, 2013, 6:38 pm

I think it's a safe bet that we will see him in Baltimore sooner than later. Keep in mind that Urrutia is 26 so it does not surprise me to see him move through the system so quickly.
In 2014 I expect Urrutia to be starting in LF...... Mclouth will play himself out of Baltimore. In other words Angelos won't pay him.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #7 by rudyrooster » July 11th, 2013, 11:59 pm

I see Urritia being called up in early August and placed in the #5 or #6 hole. The O's (in my opinion) have hit the "jackpot" in this guy. He is a hitting machine!!! He may only have moderate power but so does Machado. Bottom line is that he hits the dang ball and often with positive results. He's killing RH and LH pitching at AAA thus far. I really think this 26 year old Cuban is the "REAL DEAL"....
rudyrooster
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #8 by Old Sneakers » July 12th, 2013, 3:42 am

I see him in Baltimore when they do it and not one second before. This isn't Mickey Mantle so please keep your expectations realistic. He may well end up a starting LF or 4th OF/Utility man. We really just do not know yet.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #9 by Seafordeagles » July 12th, 2013, 8:33 am

Mickey mantle got sent back to the minors after 1st being called up. So did Willie Mays...................
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #10 by osforlife » July 12th, 2013, 9:03 am

Orioles prospect Henry Urrutia is "getting closer" to being an option, Buck Showalter told reporters, including Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun (Twitter link). Urrutia entered the season as the Orioles' No. 13 prospect, according to Baseball America, but has likely upped his stock with a big performance at Double-A and Triple-A. The Cuban defector is hitting .365/.429/.536 with seven homers in 280 minor league plate appearances this season.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/e ... rutia.html

With Betemit, Dickerson, and Pearce disabled, Reimold will continue to get DH at-bats. I am positive he will heat up; he's got too much talent not to. Valencia will get called up sooner or later and do his usual mashing against LHP. I can see why right now Urrutia would seem like an intriguing option, but once some of these guys return and/or hit better, I think the best course of option is for Henry to continue getting at-bats in the minors. When the minor league season is over, sure call him up. But, he'll have his time. He might be competing for left field next year with LJ Hoes.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #11 by ofahn » July 12th, 2013, 11:26 am

Seafordeagles wrote:So did Willie Mays...................

I believe the story was that after he started out 0 for 12 he asked his manager to send him back to the minors, but he was told no and in his first AB in his next game he hit a HR and never looked back.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by ofahn » July 12th, 2013, 11:37 am

dan72 wrote:Mclouth will play himself out of Baltimore. In other words Angelos won't pay him.

I have posted before that if McLouth can finish the season with an OPS of at least .800 then we should make him a qualified offer. I understand that it's a a gamble that McLouth might take it, but he will almost certainly turn it down in order to try to find a multi-year deal and we would get a first round draft choice if he does. If he takes the qualified offer we should be able to at least trade away the contract and probably get a usable piece for him.

Of course, the BIG question is whether Angelos will ALLOW DD to take that gamble. His track record says no which is why our farm system is so empty. Angelos just isn't willing to make that kind of investment in it.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by birdwatcher55 » July 12th, 2013, 11:42 am

I think Buck likes him a lot and he will be back. There are no organization solutions for LF and haven't been for years. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #14 by ofahn » July 12th, 2013, 11:55 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:I think Buck likes him a lot and he will be back. There are no organization solutions for LF and haven't been for years. 8-)

He would only be back if he's made a qualified offer and accepts it. If someone else offers him a multi-year deal he's gone. His position is the ONLY spot on the diamond that we actually have a surplus of decent prospects.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles