Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

What do the Orioles have in Chris Dickerson?

Re: What do the Orioles have in Chris Dickerson?

PostPost #16 by ofahn » June 5th, 2013, 11:56 am

A_K wrote:
Not that I can remember. You're probably associating him with Hoes, since his and Avery's names always seem to be uttered in the same sentence ever since Hoes switched to outfield.

I believe that were also drafted back to back.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #17 by birdwatcher55 » June 5th, 2013, 3:16 pm

A_K wrote:
Not that I can remember. You're probably associating him with Hoes, since his and Avery's names always seem to be uttered in the same sentence ever since Hoes switched to outfield.

That's probably it. Thanks 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #18 by osforlife » June 5th, 2013, 4:45 pm

Matt Angle has also played second base. Xavier Avery was promoted to AAA a couple weeks ago. Obviously, he's above AA, as he slashed .300/.391/.406 with 9 net steals in 39 games. The Orioles outfield should get pretty interesting in the next couple of years. We have many candidates for playing time. Nate McLouth, Adam Jones, Nick Markakis, Chris Dickerson, Nolan Reimold, Xavier Avery, LJ Hoes, and Henry Urrutia. Nick Markakis is eligible to leave after the 2014 season. I'd hate to see him go. I've grown up watching him my entire childhood. But, from a business standpoint only, it looks as if Henry Urrutia could take over right field in 2015. Chris Dickerson is likely not an everyday player, Nolan Reimold has not hit well this year, while Xavier Avery and LJ Hoes are by no means hitting the over off the ball with .272/.363/.369 & .274/.363/.365, respectively. Our best option would be to re-sign Nate McLouth, but he will be expensive if he keeps playing this way. Could we be looking at a competition in 2014 LF?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #19 by mikezpen » June 7th, 2013, 8:31 am

plus Avery is left-handed

that w/b interesting!
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

PostPost #20 by LA Detective » June 17th, 2013, 4:35 pm

He has cooled after a hot start. The left handed DH spot for us is struggling right now. Any consideration to giving Travis Ishikawa a shot? He has been Hot and he gets on base. He also provides us with our only real depth at 1b in the organization and could spell Davis a game or two and Davis DH. Dickerson is replacable with players within the organization or out of it.

Just hoping for lightling in a bottle type of situation until late July when WB is back or we make a trade for the DH spot.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #21 by birdwatcher55 » June 18th, 2013, 12:13 pm

I think it's time to cut bait with Dickerson 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by osforlife » June 18th, 2013, 3:35 pm

Yes he has cooled down. He seems like a perfect fourth outfielder. Decent defense, has a little speed, has a little power. But, we are in a pennant race and if he doesn't start performing he could get cut. Steve Pearce is a backup outfielder anyway. The Orioles need to get Travis Ishikawa on the roster anyway.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by ofahn » June 18th, 2013, 3:59 pm

osforlife wrote:Yes he has cooled down. He seems like a perfect fourth outfielder. Decent defense, has a little speed, has a little power. But, we are in a pennant race and if he doesn't start performing he could get cut. Steve Pearce is a backup outfielder anyway. The Orioles need to get Travis Ishikawa on the roster anyway.

He's the DH tonight.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by Seafordeagles » June 18th, 2013, 3:59 pm

osforlife wrote:The Orioles need to get Travis Ishikawa on the roster anyway.

He's starting tonight as the DH.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #25 by A_K » June 18th, 2013, 4:39 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
He's starting tonight as the DH.

Chris Davis' defense has been better than expected, but it's really bizarre to have him in the lineup at the same time as noted plus defender Ishikawa and have Davis play 1B. It's not like a little rest as a DH would be the worst thing for him anyway.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #26 by ofahn » June 18th, 2013, 4:43 pm

A_K wrote:
Chris Davis' defense has been better than expected, but it's really bizarre to have him in the lineup at the same time as noted plus defender Ishikawa and have Davis play 1B. It's not like a little rest as a DH would be the worst thing for him anyway.

I was thinking the same thing, but maybe they wanted to allow Ishikawa to get comfortable at the plate first, or maybe Buck was sending a message to Davis that he has all the confidence in the world in his defense. Regardless,I would expect them to do just what you suggested in the next few games.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by LA Detective » June 18th, 2013, 4:43 pm

I was hoping for a change.

As for CDavis at first I think Buck wants to make it clear that CD is his 1b...Now if Ishikawa hits a bit and becomes the lefty DH for an extended time, I think making CD the DH once a week wouldn't be all bad.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #28 by osforlife » June 19th, 2013, 12:13 pm

I would not be surprised at all if Travis Ishikawa produces fairly well. His bat isn't really good enough to ideally start, especially because he plays 1st base, but him and Valencia should make a productive two-headed DH. Ishikawa has been very consistent in his career; it seems like every year he has hit very close to his career .262/.326/.403. He hits RHP to a .264/.332/.413.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #29 by birdwatcher55 » June 20th, 2013, 6:50 pm

I really like Valencia ... Seems to make good contact.....if only he could play 2nd base 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #30 by osforlife » July 10th, 2013, 9:37 am

Outfield Thoughts...

I'm glad to see Dickerson staying around. He hasn't hit well by any means, but likely good enough for a 4th outfielder.

Other than the fact that he already has as many home-runs as he did last year, Crush Davis already has as many walks as he did last year. Meanwhile, Adam Jones has walked nine times this season, and only once since May 18th. I think it is pretty obvious which slugger took the next step.

It's somewhat confusing why Nolan Reimold is in Baltimore, while Danny Valencia is in Norfolk, and the O's have three second basemen. I don't really have a problem with substituting Reimold for Valencia, because of the desire to control both inside the organization, and Reimold has tons of talent. But, it seems pretty absurd to me that the O's have three second basemen, while one of the biggest threats to LHP in the organization rots in AAA.

Although I do not agree with the all-star selection technique, and I do not agree that Nick Markakis should have been an all-star this year, it is odd that #21 has never been voted in to go the all-star game. I'm not going to go dive into research, but Nick Markakis played on a very crappy Orioles team from 2006 to 2011, and hit very very well in that time period. In order, Miguel Tejada, Brian Roberts, George Sherrill, Adam Jones, Ty Wigginton, and Matt Wieters were picked over Nick during that time.

In 2008, George Sherril was selected to go the all-star game as the Orioles' lone representative. Sherril finished that year with a 4.73 ERA, 1.5000 WHIP, and a whopping 0.1 WAR. Meanwhile, Nick Markakis proceeds to hit .306/.406/.491, and produces a 7.2 WAR. The whole procedure is a joke.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles