Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

This is not a playoff team.

This is not a playoff team.

PostPost #1 by Dons0's » July 8th, 2013, 8:22 pm

This is a good ball club, but it is not a playoff team. The pitching ranks almost dead last in every category.

The hitting numbers can be skewed in my opinion, especially if the O's aren't hitting the longball. It seems this team has a degree of difficulty playing small ball. Driving in runner with 1 out by a base hit/double.

Buck trying to make everyone happy instead of playing the right players. Flaherty was finally turning the corner only to have Brob come back and take away his at bats. Of anything, Roberts should have been strictly DH, Flaherty should be starting at 2nd.
Reimold coming back and taking away ABs from McLouth. Anything, Reimold should be in the minors for the rest of the season to prove he can stay healthy.

Bucks refusal to move Davis to the 4 spot and Manny to the 3. I think it would be much more of a dangerous lineup. Also, Markakis is a good hitter from the leadoff spot, but I would rather have him at the 2 spot and Roberts/McLouth lead off the game.

The lack of improvement of the starting pitching rotation being smarter about the pitch count. Numerous times this season, starters have bbeen in the 5th inning only to have a pitch count of almost 85. Thus, BP getting worn down and over used.

I know I will get flamed for this thread but it is my opinion and I believe we won't make the playoffs this season. I think we finish +13 above .500. Unless somehow, the pitching turns it around after the AS break and the offense can score runs more than one way, I don't see it happening. Yes, I'm blaming Buck for some of the struggles also.
Dons0's
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: This is not a playoff team.

PostPost #2 by ofahn » July 9th, 2013, 12:26 pm

Dons0's wrote:I know I will get flamed for this thread but it is my opinion and I believe we won't make the playoffs this season.

I've been saying that for months. IF the FO wastes some of our better prospects the team MIGHT make the playoffs, but it's just not championship caliber. Too many weak spots.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by dan72 » July 9th, 2013, 1:06 pm

I think that this team could make the playoffs as a wild card with 92-94 wins. There they will run into another teams ace ie. Verlander, Sabathia etc. and that would be as far as we go. Good pitching almost always beats good hitting.
Throughout the history of the game there has only been a few exceptions to this.

I agree to many weak spots: pitchers allowing to many HR's, bullpen, offense at the c, 2b and dh positions......
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #4 by ofahn » July 9th, 2013, 1:35 pm

At some point over the next three weeks the FO is going to half to make hard choices about whether to mortgage the future on a NON championship team or make the trades necessary to build a one BEFORE Davis' and Wieters' control periods end after the 2015 season.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » July 9th, 2013, 2:20 pm

Dons0's wrote:This is a good ball club, but it is not a playoff team. The pitching ranks almost dead last in every category.

The hitting numbers can be skewed in my opinion, especially if the O's aren't hitting the longball. It seems this team has a degree of difficulty playing small ball. Driving in runner with 1 out by a base hit/double.

Buck trying to make everyone happy instead of playing the right players. Flaherty was finally turning the corner only to have Brob come back and take away his at bats. Of anything, Roberts should have been strictly DH, Flaherty should be starting at 2nd.
Reimold coming back and taking away ABs from McLouth. Anything, Reimold should be in the minors for the rest of the season to prove he can stay healthy.

Bucks refusal to move Davis to the 4 spot and Manny to the 3. I think it would be much more of a dangerous lineup. Also, Markakis is a good hitter from the leadoff spot, but I would rather have him at the 2 spot and Roberts/McLouth lead off the game.

The lack of improvement of the starting pitching rotation being smarter about the pitch count. Numerous times this season, starters have bbeen in the 5th inning only to have a pitch count of almost 85. Thus, BP getting worn down and over used.

I know I will get flamed for this thread but it is my opinion and I believe we won't make the playoffs this season. I think we finish +13 above .500. Unless somehow, the pitching turns it around after the AS break and the offense can score runs more than one way, I don't see it happening. Yes, I'm blaming Buck for some of the struggles also.

You won't get flamed by me. I couldn't agree with you more. Points!!! 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 9th, 2013, 2:53 pm

I disagree with you all. The team's in a decent spot in the standings as is and I think the pitching staff will improve as the year goes on (especially with the additions of Feldman and Chen to the rotation). They've hit a rough stretch and lost a few close games in the past couple weeks but overall they've done well despite their first half rotation woes. I strongly believe they'll be right in the middle of the race for the division title/WC spots in late September and will claim one of those spots.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #7 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 9th, 2013, 3:07 pm

Dons0's wrote:Bucks refusal to move Davis to the 4 spot and Manny to the 3.

I would not move them in the lineup. They're both clearly comfortable in their current slots, why mess with success? It also keeps the RHs and LHs separated which helps those hitters get better match ups late in games. Buck is brilliant with this sort of thing and I trust those types of decisions fully.

ofahn wrote:At some point over the next three weeks the FO is going to half to make hard choices about whether to mortgage the future

They don't need to mortgage the future to boost the team, they just picked up a solid SP in Feldman for spare parts and bonus slots they apparently weren't going to use. That addition should show in improvement as the season goes on. Any notion that they should sell at the deadline is absurd IMO. They're in good position for the playoff hunt moving into the second half of the season.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #8 by Dons0's » July 10th, 2013, 8:17 am

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:I would not move them in the lineup. They're both clearly comfortable in their current slots, why mess with success? It also keeps the RHs and LHs separated which helps those hitters get better match ups late in games. Buck is brilliant with this sort of thing and I trust those types of decisions fully.

How do we really know? Manny and Davis are the only two batters I believe who were hardly ever moved this season in the lineup. Buck has moved every other player around in the lineup Weiters,Hardy,Markakis,Roberts,McLouth etc. If anything, Buck should realize that McLouth struggles down in the lineup, now all of a sudden he isn't our leadoff guy, where he has excelled at?

I believe Manny is to good of a hitter not to be able to adjust to the 3 spot. Davis can handle the 4 spot well if they put Jones behind him. It would get him extra at bats also, I would rather have Davis getting more ABS than Jones personally. At least Davis knows how to walk occasionally.
Dons0's
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by Old Sneakers » July 10th, 2013, 1:48 pm

ofahn wrote:At some point over the next three weeks the FO is going to half to make hard choices about whether to mortgage the future on a NON championship team or make the trades necessary to build a one BEFORE Davis' and Wieters' control periods end after the 2015 season.

Somewhat conflicted on this one. If the team can get a first rate return on Weiters you move him. With Davis... Wow! I think you try to lock him up and offer some incentives. I do not want another Mark Reynolds, Luke Scott, Aubrey Huff, Wilson Betemit, Derrek Lee, Ty Wiggington or Kevin Millar type of carousel again (My God, I could probably list more if I researched it). Also because JJ Hardy is hot the talk of moving him at the deadline seems to have died down. My question is "Why?" He's talented enough to land a very good return and is not so expensive that he would wreck any payroll.

The team will have to make some longer term commitments in regards to keeping it's best talent. That means a higher payroll. The only other real alternative is to get far more out of the draft and international signings. Then literally selling all your most talented players in trades. Right now the team absolutely does not (nor has it in decades) have enough talent in it's minor league system to do that.

I am perfectly OK with selling for the right return. I am also OK with the team trying it's best to remain competitive now without destroying it's future. That future is going to mean some mediocre ball clubs unless some pieces are moved though.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » July 11th, 2013, 11:16 am

Crush is slumping badly of late. Is he the real deal or just a first half meteor destined to burn out?? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Seafordeagles » July 11th, 2013, 12:08 pm

He's got the flu. Don't you think that could make a difference???
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #12 by birdwatcher55 » July 12th, 2013, 11:44 am

Just asking a question. :D
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by ofahn » July 12th, 2013, 11:52 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:Just asking a question. :D

Oh, it was a question. I just thought you were joking.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by LA Detective » July 13th, 2013, 12:07 pm

Agree as we stand now. Disagree because I think DD/Buck will cover most of the holes. I also think they will do this without giving up one of our top 5 prospects.

We need: a #1 SP, a DH, and another power arm in the Pen.

I do believe we will trade for a bat who can at least fill the 6th spot in the order. Someone who isn't a strike out guy who can carry a good ave. and .800+ OPS.

To fill the power arm in the Pen, I think its 50/50 that it comes from a trade.

I can't see us trading for a #1. Just not out there and/or cost too much for our future. I think our staff is fresh and not overworked for the 2nd half and will pitch well enough to get in the playoffs. Problem is we don't match up in games #1 and #5 in almost any series. I really believe Hammel is the key. He gets back into last years form and we could be real tough. I this a 50/50 chance as it looks now.

Gausman will factor into our success the 2nd half. Could be as a starter but I think most likely as that power arm we need in the Pen.

I would like to see Markakis go back to leading off. Stats show that it brings out the best in him. I will take that .330/.380+ OBA to get things going.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #15 by Dons0's » July 13th, 2013, 7:48 pm

I wish Hammel would get his act together. Pretty pathetic this year.
Dons0's
DSL Orioles

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles