Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Expect Wieters to Hit Free Agency

Orioles Expect Wieters to Hit Free Agency

PostPost #1 by birdwatcher55 » July 1st, 2013, 3:09 pm

This according to ESPN last night. What do you think?? Perhaps we now know why the O's draft four catchers in June. Personally I would trade him after 2014 and make sure we lock up Crush and Manny long term 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Re: Orioles Expect Wieters to Hit Free Agency

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » July 1st, 2013, 3:56 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:This according to ESPN last night. What do you think?? Perhaps we now know why the O's draft four catchers in June. Personally I would trade him after 2014 and make sure we lock up Crush and Manny long term 8-)

Actually that is what Buster Olney thinks. Maybe he just might want to keep the Orioles front office in the loop...................95% of what Olney writes about doesn't come true anyway.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #3 by Old Sneakers » July 1st, 2013, 9:35 pm

The only way Matt Weiters remains an Oriole long term. Is if Matt Weiters really want to be one. His agent is going to parade him out and get him signed to the highest paying contract he can get. The "Mauer with Power" hype is just that. While a fine defensive catcher... I just don't see him worth the big money. Trading him is an option. But you will need a replacement and you do not know that one year of Weiters is going to land you a huge talent.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » July 2nd, 2013, 12:30 pm

I would agree with you. I expect to see him dealt ala Bedard after next season 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by mikezpen » July 2nd, 2013, 2:32 pm

If you could get a package like Bedard got, do it.They s/be able to sign a catcher who can hit .250 and do decently behind home plate w/o mortgaging the future. That's all Wieters will do.

If it's one or the other I'd be more interested in sighing Chris Davis.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

PostPost #6 by ofahn » July 2nd, 2013, 3:18 pm

mikezpen wrote:If you could get a package like Bedard got, do it.They s/be able to sign a catcher who can hit .250 and do decently behind home plate w/o mortgaging the future. That's all Wieters will do.

Let's see where the Mets are this winter. If their fan base is pressuring them to make big moves then trading D'Arnaud and Wheeler for Wieters might be the way to please their fan base without signing another stupid Jason Bay type contract.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by Dons0's » July 2nd, 2013, 10:06 pm

Is it me, or does it seem that Wieters just doesn't care this year at the plate??
Dons0's
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #8 by dan72 » July 3rd, 2013, 1:54 am

Its not as simple as Boras gets the best deal and thats where Matt goes, Matt has to live with the deal. Personally speaking, staying on or going to a team that is in the playoff hunt would be my top priority.
There are reasons to stay in Baltimore:
Team is on the rise, great manager, familiarity with staff.....etc
I think that the Orioles could very easily replace his offense for substantially less money than Wieters/ Boras will ask for. Could there be slight drop off defensively? Sure, but as other posters have pointed out, I see Machado as the bigger prize, and he will be the richest Oriole in history if we can get a deal done. If you had a checkbook to manage and you knew you could only sign 2 out of the 3, Machado, Davis or Wieters, which 2 would you choose? Now we know Davis is under control, but he is going to get crazy money in arbitration, so it seems logical to want to sign him. Odd man out for me would be Wieters.....
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #9 by ofahn » July 4th, 2013, 10:57 am

dan72 wrote:Its not as simple as Boras gets the best deal and thats where Matt goes, Matt has to live with the deal.

If that were the case then this deal would probably already be done. I have little doubt that IF Wieters wanted to stay the Orioles would offer him a fair contract that would extend through his first three free agent years, and maybe a reasonable vesting option for a fourth.

I'm afraid your wishin and hopin has run into the brick wall known as Boras' negotiating tactics.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Seafordeagles » July 4th, 2013, 1:45 pm

Can anyone recall if a Boras client ever signed an extension before they were to become a free agent? I can't think of any.

In my opinion Wieters will try the free agent waters. I think the Orioles will be his #1 priority when that time comes but the Orioles will have to pay the going rate.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #11 by ofahn » July 4th, 2013, 1:55 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Can anyone recall if a Boras client ever signed an extension before they were to become a free agent? I can't think of any.

I KNOW the answer is yes, but I can't think of any specific players right now. It doesn't happen often, though; and the PLAYER has to want it. That's the hold up with Wieters.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by dan72 » July 5th, 2013, 5:04 pm

I'm not hoping or wishing, my opinion on Wieters is that he has been a big disapointment. In my opinion he is worth no more than 8 million per year. If he wants to play here for that great, if not he can move on. There is no shortage of catchers that can hit .225 with no power and a bad OBP......
Defensivelty I love Wieters and that the only reason I would go as high as $8 million. If he move on that fine, thats more money I have to work with.

Taking my GM cap off now.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #13 by A_K » July 5th, 2013, 7:18 pm

Wieters is currently 10th in WAR among catchers.

So, there actually kind of is a shortage of catchers who can do what he does. There are 9 others out there.

He was fifth last year. So, there was even more of a shortage last year.

In 2011, he was first in WAR among all catchers. Back then, there were literally zero players capable of doing what he was capable of doing. (A far cry from "no shortage," clearly).

He's not the best player in the sport, as we were promised. Let's not ignore that the actual version of him is still a very good player.
Last edited by A_K on July 5th, 2013, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #14 by Seafordeagles » July 5th, 2013, 7:28 pm

He's got 42 rbis before the all star break. We used to have catchers that the most they had all year was 42. He will play everyday if it was up to him.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #15 by birdwatcher55 » July 8th, 2013, 2:26 pm

I think Wieters turns it on in the second half; no question; he's a August/September kind of guy. But I suspect, as I noted earlier, he's in Baltimore one year and then is on a light rail out of town ala Bedard after 2014 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles