Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Bud Norris on our radar?

Bud Norris on our radar?

PostPost #1 by birdwatcher55 » July 4th, 2013, 9:23 am

Dan, from all reports, likes him. Do you puLl the trigger? And if so, at what cost?
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Re: Bud Norris on our radar?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » July 4th, 2013, 10:53 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:Dan, from all reports, likes him. Do you puLl the trigger? And if so, at what cost?

I hope not. Why trade some of the few solid prospects we have for another #4 SP?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by dan72 » July 4th, 2013, 11:03 am

He should be on our radar, and the radar of about 10 other teams as well. The problem is depth in our farm system. We do have depth in Outfielders, and maybe catcher, Delmonico doesn't really have a position but he is highly regarded.
Having said that, I feel like a deal for Norris would be tough. Now that Bundy is backed up to 2015 we will need all of the SP depth we can get. Jurgens and Freddy G are not the answer......

I would prefer to see a deal for a good bullpen arm as I feel that our pen is being worked to much. I like Gausman out of the pen because he doesn't have a lot of innings on his arm so far this season. He should be good to go 150-175.
If I were DD, my energy would be focused on a proven reliever.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #4 by ofahn » July 4th, 2013, 11:07 am

dan72 wrote:Now that Bundy is backed up to 2015

You do mean he'll be rehabbing in 2015, right? IMO the only way he'll make any real extended contribution in Baltimore that year will be as reliever in August or September.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by osforlife » July 4th, 2013, 8:16 pm

I don't see a need to acquire another starter. Our current rotation is Hammel, Tillman, Gonzalez, Feldman, and Britton. Chen will be back very shortly and I'd expect Britton to be optioned. He's a solid 6th starter, from what I've seen so far. Steve Johnson will also be back soon and is a prototype swing man. We have enough depth. Hammel will pitch better; I know it. Regression often means a period of sustained success to return back to carrer norms. Hammel isn't pitching as well as he could be and has shown over the past couple years. Plus, Bud Norris' ERA is currently better than ever before, even though his peripherals are the equal to or less than previous years & he has several controllable years left, so the Astros don't HAVE to trade him. I'd suspect they'd ask for a large package in return.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » July 6th, 2013, 9:34 am

Dan..I agree gausman needs to be that seventh or eighth inning power arm option...I see his role expanded after AS break 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles