Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Trade Arrieta And Strop To Cubs For Feldman And Clevenger

Re: Orioles Trade Arrieta And Strop To Cubs For Feldman And Clevenger

PostPost #16 by ljmillar22 » July 2nd, 2013, 3:10 pm

Ok 1-1 birdwatcher55, i would do that deal.
ljmillar22
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #17 by ofahn » July 2nd, 2013, 3:14 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Now understand this: Delmonico, Wright and Arrieta would have probably gotten you Garza

That's what I would have offered for Jeff Samardzija, not Garza.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #18 by Seafordeagles » July 2nd, 2013, 3:16 pm

osforlife wrote:I'd option Flaherty and put Clevanger on the roster.

You have totally lost me here.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #19 by ljmillar22 » July 2nd, 2013, 3:32 pm

Im not a Jeff Samardzija fan so i wouldnt be interested in him, but thats just my opinion, he does have a friendly contract though. I was going to suggest Travis Wood but he is due $5.5m this year and he has a higher flyball percentage than groundballs
ljmillar22
DSL Orioles

PostPost #20 by ljmillar22 » July 2nd, 2013, 3:34 pm

What would we have to give up to have a shot at Bud Norris?
ljmillar22
DSL Orioles

PostPost #21 by ofahn » July 2nd, 2013, 3:37 pm

ljmillar22 wrote:What would we have to give up to have a shot at Bud Norris?

WAAAYYY more than we should spend, or even have to spend in prospects.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #22 by ljmillar22 » July 2nd, 2013, 3:52 pm

Found this on ESPN think it might be of use to people. Its the list of groundball/flyball ratios for pitchers

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitching/_ ... expanded-2
ljmillar22
DSL Orioles

PostPost #23 by osforlife » July 2nd, 2013, 7:19 pm

Just to clear a few things up:

(1) Jeff Samardzija is a better pitcher than Scott Feldman, Matt Garza, Travis Wood, Joe Saunders, Bud Norris, and everybody in the Orioles' organization

(2) Scott Feldman is better than Joe Saunders

(3) I understand Flaherty has hit better as of late, but no team needs three second basemen. Clevanger has very good numbers at AAA, which Flaherty does not have. Casilla and Roberts can't be removed from the roster without having a chance to lose them. With Clevanger on the roster, Wieters could DH more. Matt is probably in line with the DH production so far this year, and that is in a career worst year. Hopefully DHing more could get his offensive production up. Not that Flaherty has been bad, Clevanger could just indirectly make the team better IMO.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #24 by Old Sneakers » July 2nd, 2013, 8:44 pm

For me Arrieta will always be "what could have been..."

That said we gave up a talented guy for a half season rental. Losing Strop won't hurt. International bonus money might just. What can you say? If Feldman gives us close to100IP and is dependable and healthy it's likely a good gamble on the team remaining in position for another playoff birth.

If the team tanks and Feldman doesn't hold up then obviously it is a what were they thinking move.

I think it was the best move to make and the trigger got pulled.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #25 by dan72 » July 3rd, 2013, 2:08 am

Neither Strop or Arrieta figured into our long term plans so I'm ok with giving them up. I think the real meat and potatoes of the deal is weather the Orioles resign Feldman.....if its a good fit for him and we can get a deal done after the season than that would be a long term fix. For now we have band-aided the situation of starting pitching quality.
I applaud Dan Duquette for following my advise and being the first dog at the bowl. They got the guy they wanted, for the price they wanted and we will get at least 3 more starts out of him versus waiting until the deadline.
Very happy with this trade.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #26 by A_K » July 3rd, 2013, 1:05 pm

Enthusiastic approval of the trade (for both teams) by Dave Cameron at Fangraphs.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/orioles- ... ocking-up/

Over the winter, Feldman was one of my favorite undervalued free agent options. I wrote a piece comparing him to Brandon McCarthy, which in turn led to McCarthy noting that their similarities were due to his copying of Feldman’s transformation when they were in Texas together. Feldman has gone on to justify the faith that article placed in his skills, and is another recent example of the power of DIPS theory.

While Feldman’s results have made him a nifty trade piece for the Cubs, there’s really nothing different about him now than there was several months ago. His walk rate is hanging around 7% as always, his strikeout rate remains at around 18%, and he’s getting his normal share of ground balls. This is who Scott Feldman is, and has been for quite a while. Last year, though, his .318 BABIP led to a 5.09 ERA, while this year’s .255 BABIP has led to a 3.46 ERA.

You know the drill at this point; Feldman is better than his ERA suggested last year and not as good as his ERA suggests this year. Ignoring the year to year fluctuations in results show the new-and-improved Feldman to be roughly a league average starting pitcher. Since 2011, when he returned with the cut fastball as a new weapon and changed his approach to pitching, Feldman has thrown 247 innings and posted a 103/92/96 (ERA-/FIP-/xFIP-) line. Opposing hitters have posted a .304 wOBA against Feldman during that stretch.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #27 by birdwatcher55 » July 4th, 2013, 9:33 am

ljmillar22 wrote:What would we have to give up to have a shot at Bud Norris?

I wonder myself. :?:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles