Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Roberts Return

Roberts Return

PostPost #1 by LA Detective » June 28th, 2013, 5:14 pm

What would you do with the roster/line up when this happens?

For me I would DFA Dickerson.

BRob would DH against righties and play 2b against lefties. RyanF would play 2nd against RHP and Valencia would DH against LHP.

Believe or not based on the last 30 days and right now, RyanF is the best bat we have for an option at leftside DH.

This would keep BRob fresh and less chance of injury.
RyanF is a better defender.
And if there is an injury in the OF or anywhere, RyanF can move there from 2b during a games.

I would still rather have a real DH but I think this is our best option right now.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

Re: Roberts Return

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » June 28th, 2013, 5:50 pm

LA Detective wrote:What would you do with the roster/line up when this happens?

For me I would DFA Dickerson.

I emphatically disagree. Ishikawa needs to be the one that leaves. Dickerson is a excellent fielder, very good baserunner and brings so much more that Ishikawa will ever do for the orioles
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #3 by osforlife » June 28th, 2013, 8:09 pm

I've actually been thinking about it for awhile and I'm not really sure who to cut. It would be one of Chris Dickerson, Travis Ishikawa, Ryan Flaherty, Alexi Casilla, and Danny Valencia. This is just what I'd do.
Danny Valencia- He's killer off of LHP. He's had to hit against RHP, and he just can't do that. If a LHP is in the game, one will want Danny Valencia in the line-up. Keep.
Chris Dickerson- If the Orioles were to cut Dickerson, they'd basically have no depth in the outfield. Plus, he hasn't been terrible. Quality defender, good speed, has a little pop. Keep.
Travis Ishikawa- It's a shame for Ishikawa that Davis is on the team. Weak performance so far but should come around in time as he's been very consistent in his career. On The Bubble.
Alexi Casilla- Typically back-up player. Great defender, great speed. Probably wouldn't even be that bad playing 2B full time. Out of options too. Keep.
Ryan Flaherty- He's been hot of late, but somebody has to go, and it'll be good for Ryan to get fulltime AB's, which he won't get with Brian Roberts on the roster. On the Bubble. I'd cut either Travis Ishikawa or Ryan Flaherty, preferably Ryan Flaherty.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #4 by ofahn » June 29th, 2013, 10:40 am

osforlife wrote: I'd cut either Travis Ishikawa or Ryan Flaherty, preferably Ryan Flaherty.

I RELUCTANTLY agree.

IMO Flaherty has done nothing to earn a demotion, but he would be the right choice; right now. Ishikawa is probably on thin ice when Betemit returns.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by LA Detective » June 29th, 2013, 12:23 pm

Flaherty is hitting .294 with an OPS just below .800 since his return on May 29th. As long as he continues hitting like he is we need him in the line-up. Dickerson and Ishikawa have been automatic outs.

The 8th and 9th hitters would be
Flaherty/Valencia
Robersts
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #6 by Seafordeagles » June 29th, 2013, 5:30 pm

All moot points, Ishikawa is gone and not Dickerson.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #7 by dan72 » June 29th, 2013, 6:26 pm

Just wondering why Roberts cant remain in Norfolk for a couple of weeks. I feel he should have to earn a spot on this team. I bet that two weeks of every day play lands himyet another injury..... just a hunch.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #8 by Rising O's » June 29th, 2013, 8:16 pm

Still wasting time on Brian Roberts...
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #9 by OriolesRedskins28 » June 29th, 2013, 8:40 pm

dan72 wrote:Just wondering why Roberts cant remain in Norfolk for a couple of weeks. I feel he should have to earn a spot on this team. I bet that two weeks of every day play lands himyet another injury..... just a hunch.

Especially with how well Flaherty has been playing. Buck gives a lot of respect to his veterans though. Since Roberts is going to be the starter I would like to see Flash at AAA getting regular ABs.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » July 1st, 2013, 3:03 pm

Nice to see BRob back. It's really makes our lineup very dynamic. Love him hitting ninth, bringing speed and production, and forcing the pitcher to make multiple pitches with great plate discipline. He has to be the toughest #9 guy in anybody's lineup 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles