Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

What is your main concern about this season so far?

Re: What is your main concern about this season so far?

PostPost #31 by osforlife » June 25th, 2013, 4:24 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I like this order but bottom line: our RISP hitting sucks 8-)

Actually, the Orioles avg. with RISP is actually good for 4th in baseball, at .284. So no, the Orioles are very good at hitting with RISP.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #32 by Seafordeagles » June 25th, 2013, 4:54 pm

osforlife wrote:Actually, the Orioles avg. with RISP is actually good for 4th in baseball, at .284. So no, the Orioles are very good at hitting with RISP.

Good post, nothing like "real" stats to defend the Orioles. I kind of scratched my head after he posted that our RISP sucks.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #33 by ofahn » June 25th, 2013, 5:50 pm

Championship teams know how to manufacture runs when they need them. In THAT regard we're not a championship team, yet.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #34 by Seafordeagles » June 25th, 2013, 6:12 pm

The first 3 hitters in the lineup are quite good at manufacturing runs and they've done that on numerous occasions. It's the bottom of the lineup that should be doing a better job.

They're near the top or real close to the top in just about every offensive category in major league baseball through June 24th and Birdwatcher says they suck at RISP.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #35 by ofahn » June 25th, 2013, 6:44 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:The first 3 hitters in the lineup are quite good at manufacturing runs

I agree, but we have some serious holes below that. Jones (#4), Hardy (#6), and Wieters (now #7) are all or nothing guys who seem like they can't, or won't, consistently give themselves up to move up or score the runner. Valencia and Dickerson have some of the same tendencies and Flaherty isn't yet a good enough hitter to to consistently make that kind of contribution.

DD has done a very good job of rebuilding this lineup, but he still has some work to do.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #36 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 25th, 2013, 11:40 pm

ofahn wrote:
I agree, but we have some serious holes below that. Jones (#4), Hardy (#6), and Wieters (now #7) are all or nothing guys who seem like they can't, or won't, consistently give themselves up to move up or score the runner. Valencia and Dickerson have some of the same tendencies and Flaherty isn't yet a good enough hitter to to consistently make that kind of contribution.

DD has done a very good job of rebuilding this lineup, but he still has some work to do.

Jones hasn't walked in his last 149 PA.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #37 by Seafordeagles » June 26th, 2013, 8:21 am

I'll take Adam Jones just the way he is. Sure he doesn't manufacture enough runs or walk enough like has been posted here. I'll take him though for the beast he is.

I have nothing but good things to say about the 4 and 5 batters in the Orioles lineup. They are doing their jobs. They are not there to manufacture runs.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #38 by ofahn » June 26th, 2013, 9:36 am

Seafordeagles wrote:I have nothing but good things to say about the 4 and 5 batters in the Orioles lineup. They are doing their jobs. They are not there to manufacture runs.

In other words you want a softball team that will NEVER get to the World Series, much less win it.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #39 by Seafordeagles » June 26th, 2013, 11:20 am

ofahn wrote:
In other words you want a softball team that will NEVER get to the World Series, much less win it.

Yep, that's just what I said, I want a softball team that will NEVER get to the World Series, much less win it.

Whatever you say, you're always right.
Last edited by Seafordeagles on June 26th, 2013, 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #40 by birdwatcher55 » June 26th, 2013, 11:37 am

osforlife wrote:Actually, the Orioles avg. with RISP is actually good for 4th in baseball, at .284. So no, the Orioles are very good at hitting with RISP.

.284?? I'm totally shocked after watching the weekend series in Toronto and Monday's debacle 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #41 by osforlife » June 26th, 2013, 7:31 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:.284?? I'm totally shocked after watching the weekend series in Toronto and Monday's debacle 8-)

Don't look at one series as judgement for an entire season. Baseball is not a sport of small sample sizes, unless one is looking at the most important part of the season, the playoffs. lol
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #42 by ofahn » June 29th, 2013, 10:56 am

Seafordeagles wrote:
Yep, that's just what I said, I want a softball team that will NEVER get to the World Series, much less win it.

Whatever you say, you're always right.

As it all too frequently occurs you have focused on the WORDS I posted and not their MEANING.

Championship teams know how to manufacture runs and do so to complement THEIR good pitching and beat their OPPONENTS' good pitching. This pretty much explains why the Cardinals have won two recent World Series and the Rangers have not and the Tigers did not last year. Even the Yankees championship team of 2009 knew how to manufacture runs when the game was on the line.

Until all or noting hitters like Jones, Wieters, and Hardy make the adjustments that Davis has, or we replace them, or we fill out the rest of the lineup with players that do know how to take a walk when it's needed or advance the runner and score them with an out we will not be a championship team.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #43 by birdwatcher55 » July 1st, 2013, 3:04 pm

Anybody worried about JJ right now?? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #44 by Seafordeagles » July 1st, 2013, 3:53 pm

ofahn wrote:
As it all too frequently occurs you have focused on the WORDS I posted and not their MEANING.

Then say exactly what you mean instead of the little put-downs. I think I'm supposed to focus on what is posted. If you mean something else then how about saying what you really mean and I'll bet we won't have a problem with your "words that you posted".
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #45 by ofahn » July 1st, 2013, 5:48 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
Then say exactly what you mean instead of the little put-downs. I think I'm supposed to focus on what is posted. If you mean something else then how about saying what you really mean and I'll bet we won't have a problem with your "words that you posted".

If you're uncertain about what someone has posted perhaps you might ask for a clarification.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles