Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

What is your main concern about this season so far?

Re: What is your main concern about this season so far?

PostPost #16 by ofahn » May 29th, 2013, 2:48 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:The longer you wait, the more expensive this kid gets. It's really that simple. Step up DD and and let's get this done 8-)

What part of this do you disagree with or otherwise not willing to accept?

Don't you think Machado and his agent have some small say in that process? IMO the only way he would consider signing beyond his arbitration years would be a contract like Tulowitski or Gonzales got from Colorado. Can anyone see Angelos agreeing to that kind of deal?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #17 by birdwatcher55 » May 29th, 2013, 2:52 pm

I'm not getting into a p****ing contest with you. It's really simple: the longer you wait, the more expensive Machado becomes. I think Angelos and Duquette are smart enough to understand that fact. Tampa was smart to lock up Longoria when he was a rookie. We need to do the same 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #18 by ofahn » May 29th, 2013, 3:03 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I'm not getting into a p****ing contest with you. It's really simple: the longer you wait, the more expensive Machado becomes. I think Angelos and Duquette are smart enough to understand that fact. Tampa was smart to lock up Longoria when he was a rookie. We need to do the same 8-)

Again, what part of this do you not agree with or are willing to accept?

Don't you think Machado and his agent have some small say in that process? IMO the only way he would consider signing beyond his arbitration years would be a contract like Tulowitski or Gonzales got from Colorado. Can anyone see Angelos agreeing to that kind of deal?

He has to WANT to sign that extension, just like Wieters.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #19 by birdwatcher55 » May 31st, 2013, 2:46 pm

I have no problem handing him a ten year contract right now. He is a star in the making and a cornerstone of your franchise. You lock those guys up (read my lips) LONG TERM!!! 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #20 by ofahn » May 31st, 2013, 3:20 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I have no problem handing him a ten year contract right now. He is a star in the making and a cornerstone of your franchise. You lock those guys up (read my lips) LONG TERM!!! 8-)

Then go ahead and write the check because I'm not sure Angelos will.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by birdwatcher55 » June 4th, 2013, 12:20 pm

Have you checked with Angelos yet?? Surely you must have him on speed dial, don't you? :lol:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by OriolesRedskins28 » June 23rd, 2013, 12:34 pm

Back to Wieters' lack of offense - I would like to see him moved down in the order. Hitting behind Chris Davis he gets plenty of pitches to hit but he does nothing with them. It's very frustrating watching CD get the IBB to load the bases and Wieters pops up an elevated 2-0 fastball. If you think about it it's been VERY rare to see Wieters actually square a ball up.

If you swap him and Hardy it still keeps the lefties and righties split up and would ideally give Hardy more pitches to hit while lowering Wieters a spot in the order. Who knows it might even be good for him to hit in a spot that carries slightly less importance.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #23 by ofahn » June 23rd, 2013, 12:37 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:If you swap him and Hardy it still keeps the lefties and righties split up and would ideally give Hardy more pitches to hit while lowering Wieters a spot in the order.

I've been wandering the same thing.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by dan72 » June 23rd, 2013, 2:30 pm

Wieters is not the hitter he was advertised to be, and any contract offer should reflect his lack of offense. Garcia in the #5 starter spot is aweful. We have to upgrade our starting pitching, that need has been well documented here. Another concern that seems to grow daily is our bullpen. Everyone in the pen has gone through a slump, some worse than others. Strop is taking up a roster spot. Both starters and relievers are giving up way to many homeruns.
I don't really care if I ever see Roberts or Riemold again, anything you get from Betimit at this point is a bonus. Wada will never through a pitch in the majors.
Every team has a similar laundry list of concerns by this point in the season. We shold be very thankful to be a couple games out given our lack of pitching. I still think we are one decent starter and a bullpen arm away from the playoffs. Could Chen, Gausman and Johnson be those arms? I have my doubts. I guess we will see.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #25 by Dons0's » June 23rd, 2013, 8:14 pm

I'm starting to worry about Weiters approach at the plate. Yes, he is a good defensive catcher, but he should be better at the plate than what he is OBP and BA wise. Now, Jones can't lay off sliders down and away all of a sudden. I think the lack of pitching is making this offense press to much.
Dons0's
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #26 by ofahn » June 23rd, 2013, 8:42 pm

Dons0's wrote:I'm starting to worry about Weiters approach at the plate. Yes, he is a good defensive catcher, but he should be better at the plate than what he is OBP and BA wise.

I have made the comment before that Wieters appears to be on a career path similar to Dave Duncan. http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... da01.shtml Duncan was considered a plus defender and could hit for occasional power, but his OPS wasn't the level of an impact bat. Click the link and compare the numbers from 1970 through 73 with where Wieters is now. Wieters is putting up better RBI numbers, but that's probably as a much a sign of where he's been hitting in the lineup and the DH era than anything else.

If you use Yadier Molina's 5/75M contract as a bench mark then Wieters would probably be worth 5/60M, but he isn't using Scot Boras as his agent because he wants to sign a reasonable contract.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by osforlife » June 24th, 2013, 11:26 am

The bullpen hasn't been terrible. Obviously, it's not as good as last year, but who honestly expected a team bullpen to repeat its magnificent production? It's very streaky, and lacks the magic touch it had in 2012. Not surprisingly, O'Day and Hunter have been very good. After early season hiccups, Patton and Johnson have been on a roll lately. Brian Matusz and TJ McFarland have been respectable lefties, although the former doesn't get RHH out enough to be a true back of the bullpen pitcher, and the latter is riding on the edge with a high WHIP and low strikeout rate. Then, there leaves Pedro Strop. Why Pedro Strop is in the majors right now and not "rehabbing" in the minors is beyond me. DD can't go on with this much longer. Yeah, he has a electric arm, so did Henry Rodriguez, and the Nationals DFA'd him. Fernando Rodney has an stellar arm and stellar stuff, and can't convert a clean save. Keep in mind, the Orioles bullpen is 8th in innings pitched in the MLB, so that means some of them might not be entirely fresh. It really is time to bring up Jairo Asencio.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #28 by LA Detective » June 24th, 2013, 1:04 pm

I worry about Hunter being on pace for 85 innings. He has a starters base still but that is too high. Mid 70s for him. JJ and ODay arent too bad at a pace for close to 75. What is killing us is Strop's role and his pace for just over 40. He is suppose to protect those 5-1 leads that keeps the back 3 from having to go. His lack of innings is going to catch up with us. And the lack of the starters going deep of course.

On a positve note: With 10 days to go in ST we had 12 starters that looked like we coluld draw from during the season. The first half everything that could go wrong, did. The positive is that all of our starters are not high on the IP count going into the second half and should be fresh. Tilman would be the only slight concern on this. This could be huge when others teams starters start tiring down the stretch as is often the case when they are headed to the 190+ IP pace.

Bottom line is that last year DD/Buck didnt make any big moves but still plugged some huge holes. They have less holes this year. I have to believe they will fill them. Our success will lie with the SP and who steps up. The fact they are fresh could be the difference maker.

And we need a DH who can hit 6th in the order...
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #29 by ofahn » June 24th, 2013, 2:43 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:Back to Wieters' lack of offense - I would like to see him moved down in the order. Hitting behind Chris Davis he gets plenty of pitches to hit but he does nothing with them. It's very frustrating watching CD get the IBB to load the bases and Wieters pops up an elevated 2-0 fastball. If you think about it it's been VERY rare to see Wieters actually square a ball up.

If you swap him and Hardy it still keeps the lefties and righties split up and would ideally give Hardy more pitches to hit while lowering Wieters a spot in the order. Who knows it might even be good for him to hit in a spot that carries slightly less importance.

Good call. Hardy is batting six and Wieters seventh tonight.

For the Orioles
Nate McLouth LF
Manny Machado 3B
Nick Markakis RF
Adam Jones CF
Chris Davis 1B
J.J. Hardy SS
Matt Wieters C
Travis Ishikawa DH
Ryan Flaherty 2B

Zach Britton LHP

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... oster.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #30 by birdwatcher55 » June 25th, 2013, 12:17 pm

I like this order but bottom line: our RISP hitting sucks 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles