Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Take A Look At Zelous Wheeler & Buck Britton.?

Take A Look At Zelous Wheeler & Buck Britton.?

PostPost #1 by osforlife » June 24th, 2013, 11:35 am

Although Ryan Flaherty has been hot as of late (five game hit streak), Zelous Wheeler and Buck Britton both have experience at second base. The former is hitting .296/.369/.432 while the later is hitting .300/.353/.436 at Norfolk. Neither of them project to be more than utility players, but they are hitting well and deserve a shot if Ryan Flaherty returns to his pre-streak ways.
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1622
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 59

Re: Take A Look At Zelous Wheeler & Buck Britton.?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » June 24th, 2013, 12:02 pm

osforlife wrote:Although Ryan Flaherty has been hot as of late (five game hit streak), Zelous Wheeler and Buck Britton both have experience at second base. The former is hitting .296/.369/.432 while the later is hitting .300/.353/.436 at Norfolk. Neither of them project to be more than utility players, but they are hitting well and deserve a shot if Ryan Flaherty returns to his pre-streak ways.


WHAT? Do you work at the NSA?

I was just thinking about both of those guys last night and wondering if they'd get a chance this year.

With that being said IMO it would be a bad idea to exchange either of them for Flaherty. Yes; he's hitting below the Mendoza Line, but his defense has been plus and I value that as about 200 OPS points. Let's be honest, even if we did improve 2B it wouldn't address our real problems - STARTING PITCHING.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Take A Look At Zelous Wheeler & Buck Britton.?

PostPost #3 by osforlife » June 24th, 2013, 12:44 pm

ofahn wrote:
WHAT? Do you work at the NSA?

I was just thinking about both of those guys last night and wondering if they'd get a chance this year.

With that being said IMO it would be a bad idea to exchange either of them for Flaherty. Yes; he's hitting below the Mendoza Line, but his defense has been plus and I value that as about 200 OPS points. Let's be honest, even if we did improve 2B it wouldn't address our real problems - STARTING PITCHING.

Flaherty's defense has been a pleasant surprise. I expect him to go on a hot streak, but if he didn't, I'd have no problem swapping Ryan out with on of these guys. Jordan's scouting report on Britton states he is super versatile with good hands. But, just because our starting pitching is the real problem, doesn't mean the Orioles shouldn't attempt to make a costless upgrade at second base. As A_K said:
Just because I need to eat three meals by the end of the day doesn't mean I should pass on breakfast because it'll only count as one.
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1622
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 59

Re: Take A Look At Zelous Wheeler & Buck Britton.?

PostPost #4 by LA Detective » June 24th, 2013, 1:12 pm

Don't look now but RyanF is hitting .264 (about the same as AJones) with a 724 OPS the last 30 days...I will take that out of the 9 spot cuz of the great D if he maintains that level.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 293
Joined: July 2011
Reputation Score: 14

Re: Take A Look At Zelous Wheeler & Buck Britton.?

PostPost #5 by ofahn » June 24th, 2013, 1:26 pm

osforlife wrote:Jordan's scouting report on Britton states he is super versatile with good hands.


I've seen Britton play. He's a hard nosed, face in the dirt, gamer that any team would be lucky to have, but that doesn't make up for the fact that he lacks the range that Flaherty has.

It's a damn SHAME that we have to carry seven relievers in our bullpen because Britton is just the kind of guy you'd really like to have ready on the bench.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Take A Look At Zelous Wheeler & Buck Britton.?

PostPost #6 by LA Detective » June 24th, 2013, 1:58 pm

Sounds like Britton could have a future with us at some point over the next year or so as a super utility
LA Detective
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 293
Joined: July 2011
Reputation Score: 14

Re: Take A Look At Zelous Wheeler & Buck Britton.?

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » June 25th, 2013, 12:23 pm

RF's defense is vital and lately he has been hitting. Not ready to pull the plug yet 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11



Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron