Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Back from the ledge!

Re: Back from the ledge!

PostPost #46 by A_K » June 13th, 2013, 12:21 pm

ofahn wrote:We're probably saying the same thing, but I wouldn't trade any of our top five prospects for a SP unless the rest of our pitching gets its act together.

Yeah, I don't think any of the types of veterans we're talking about would even come close to costing that much.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #47 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 13th, 2013, 11:57 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Not even for Garza??? 8-)

He's overrated. He's had a bunch of decent season in his career, and only one great one.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #48 by dan72 » June 14th, 2013, 2:43 pm

I agree that Garza is over rated. Biggest issue with him is the time he spends on the DL. Could you imagine the fans disapointment should we finally go out and make a deal and then to have the pitcher go down with an injury. Heartbreaker for the fans.
Additionally he doesnt go as deep into games as I would like to see from a star caliber guy. I heard some talk on MLB radio where the Cubs would take a mid level prospect for him. I also heard talk that Jeff Samardzija may also be available. Seems that Rizzo is the only player not up for grabs in that organization.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #49 by ofahn » June 14th, 2013, 4:54 pm

dan72 wrote:I also heard talk that Jeff Samardzija may also be available.

Now THIS is a guy we should SERIOUSLY consider if he's actually available. He would probably benefit from pitching to Wieters and in front of the Orioles' defense. The problem is that the Cubs aren't going to be willing to accept a mid level prospect for him and we don't have any upper level prospects we could spare. If we could talk Chicago into any three of the following group - Arrieta, Strop, Mike Wright, and Eduardo Rodriguez - then both teams would get good value. Strop and Arrieta need time to work out their problems and the Cubs could afford to be patient with them. Wright could be in their rotation next year and Rodriguez by the middle of the following year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #50 by Old Sneakers » June 15th, 2013, 12:55 am

Samardzija- I would be floored if they could acquire him. I just don't see it happening.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #51 by ofahn » June 15th, 2013, 9:42 am

Old Sneakers wrote:Samardzija- I would be floored if they could acquire him. I just don't see it happening.

Yeah, I'm skeptical, too, but I would rather focus on trying to put together a trade for someone like that - who would be a real part of our future - than a rental that is unproven in our league or division.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #52 by OriolesRedskins28 » June 15th, 2013, 1:09 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Samardzija- I would be floored if they could acquire him. I just don't see it happening.

I agree if they were to give up any real value for him which is of course what they would have to do. I'm always skeptical of the NL to AL East transition (especially at OPACY). Not saying he couldn't be successful but too risky for any real value IMO.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #53 by osforlife » June 15th, 2013, 7:37 pm

Jeff Samardzija is a stud. He's under Cub Control through 2016; it won't be easy to get him.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #54 by birdwatcher55 » June 20th, 2013, 6:59 pm

ofahn wrote:
Now THIS is a guy we should SERIOUSLY consider if he's actually available. He would probably benefit from pitching to Wieters and in front of the Orioles' defense. The problem is that the Cubs aren't going to be willing to accept a mid level prospect for him and we don't have any upper level prospects we could spare. If we could talk Chicago into any three of the following group - Arrieta, Strop, Mike Wright, and Eduardo Rodriguez - then both teams would get good value. Strop and Arrieta need time to work out their problems and the Cubs could afford to be patient with them. Wright could be in their rotation next year and Rodriguez by the middle of the following year.

I would not be inclined to give up Rodriguez 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #55 by birdwatcher55 » June 20th, 2013, 7:02 pm

dan72 wrote:I agree that Garza is over rated. Biggest issue with him is the time he spends on the DL. Could you imagine the fans disapointment should we finally go out and make a deal and then to have the pitcher go down with an injury. Heartbreaker for the fans.
Additionally he doesnt go as deep into games as I would like to see from a star caliber guy. I heard some talk on MLB radio where the Cubs would take a mid level prospect for him. I also heard talk that Jeff Samardzija may also be available. Seems that Rizzo is the only player not up for grabs in that organization.

Then send them a mid level prospect!!! 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #56 by dan72 » June 20th, 2013, 8:44 pm

If it were up to me it would have been done by now. There is something to be said for being the first dog to the food bowl. The longer you wait, the fewer kibble in the bowl. Having said that Garza is not my first choice given his issues, but he is well worth a mid level prospect. Like I said the Cubs are going to go into complete tear down/ rebuild mode and there are some guys on that team that could help us.
It seems that there is a lot of fans calling for a pitching aquisition, and I think something will get done. Like most teams where we need to upgrade is the number 5 starter. Freddy has done better than I expected, but he is the obvious weak link. Another bull pen arm should not be out of the question also.
Look for moves to happen soon as Riemold, Roberts and Betemit all get healthy.
dan72
GCL Orioles

PostPost #57 by ofahn » June 20th, 2013, 9:00 pm

dan72 wrote:Garza is not my first choice given his issues, but he is well worth a mid level prospect.

Why would the Cubs be in a hurry to give up Garza for a mid level prospect when they can wait until the trading deadline trying to get something better and settle for a mid level prospect if they have to?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #58 by birdwatcher55 » June 22nd, 2013, 8:34 am

I see a bidding war for garza. I,m sure the cubs see the same way 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #59 by osforlife » July 10th, 2013, 8:44 am

Tsuyoshi Wada has made a major improvement in Norfolk. His last four starts have been splendid; he has thrown 24.67 innings, given up 19 hits, allowed six earned runs, walked four, and has struck out twenty. He may be up in Baltimore soon.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #60 by dan72 » July 10th, 2013, 4:30 pm

My expectations for Wada are Nada.... so if he contributes anything that would be great. I have been following the race for Garza closely. I figured the Orioles would not be a plyer for Garza even though he is regarded as the best available pitcher at the dead line. In my opinion Cliff Lee is the better pitcher but his contract is astronmical.
Looking at Garza in detail he is an average to slightly above average pitcher. For his career he is 3 games above .500 in the win column, he allows nearly 1 hit per inning, in the AL his Whip is 1.315 and 1.202 in the NL. His Era is .50 higher in the American league. He has decent post season experience, 2-1 3.48 and an ALDS MVP award.
Recently I read that the Cubs will be looking for 1 top prospect for Garza, while a couple of weeks ago the price was a mid level prospect. So as we get closer to the deadline the price will go up and I suspect a contending team will pull the trigger. Garza has also said that he would like to stay with the Cubs so if the Cubs don't get what they want for him they are fine with keeping him and building around him.

I know there isn't much support for Alfonso Soriano here, but I think the Orioles could use his bat. With most of the team going cold right now, we could use the fresh bat as a DH.
Not a fan of Reimold or Roberts. Its more than coincidental that the team went cold when they came into the line up. Roberts made a bad flip last night on what should have been an easy double play. Both players should have reported to Norfolk and then made to play their way onto this team. Flaherty was just starting to hit before he was benched. What makes matters worse is that when we go on a run and win a few games, the Redsox just keep winning. If the bats don't get going soon we will wake up and be 10 games back.... Then is it time to sell?
dan72
GCL Orioles

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles