Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Henry Urrutia's role w/the Os?

Re: Henry Urrutia's role w/the Os?

PostPost #16 by osforlife » June 17th, 2013, 11:28 am

I’ve said before that the Orioles outfield situation could get interesting in the next couple years. Adam Jones is here to stay for a while, so the Orioles have one outfield spot covered. After the 2013 season, like Old Sneakers said above, Nate McLouth will be getting a fat, likely multi-year contract from a major league baseball team. Nate really is a game changer. His only flaw is that he can’t hit LHP. But, I’d let McLouth move on and use our resources elsewhere. Nick Markakis is under the Orioles control through the 2014 season, with a club option of $17.5mil or a $2mil buyout. The Orioles may or may not exercise that option, and they may or may not re-sign him to altered conditions. Either way, there could be an opening in left field as early as 2014, and/or there could be an opening in right field as early as 2015.

Regarding current bench players and AAA players, I don’t believe Chris Dickerson or Jason Pridie would handle full time jobs very effectively. Those two just seem like classic 4th outfielders. At this point, who knows what will happen to the three right-handed-hitting outfield amigos in Steve Pearce, Lew Ford, and Nolan Reimold. There future to me is unknown. Trayvon Robinson is only hitting .235/.321/.355.

IMO, the answer has been underneath us the whole time. LJ Hoes is hitting .291/.395/.402 in AAA. Maybe he could provide the Orioles with average defense, 15 net steals, and a .275/.360/.350. I’d have an open competition for LF in 2014, but basically be giving the position to Hoes while Xavier Avery is dangled as trade bait.

Down lower on the farm, it is disappointing to see Brendan Webb having an awful season. But in AA, Henry Urrutia is the only currently playing for the Baysox that could make a difference. He is a weird case too. If I were GM, I’d still have him spend the rest of the year in AA, then spend at least most of 2014 in AAA, then have him contend for right field/DH in 2015. Maybe, he won’t even be that good. He wasn’t supposed to be that great when he was signed.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #17 by A_K » June 17th, 2013, 1:03 pm

Good lord I hope the Orioles don't voluntarily decide to pay Nick Markakis $17.5 million in 2015. Insane.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #18 by ofahn » June 18th, 2013, 4:27 pm

A_K wrote:Good lord I hope the Orioles don't voluntarily decide to pay Nick Markakis $17.5 million in 2015. Insane.

In effect, the team will only be paying him 15M because the 2.5M buyout is already spent money. That being said Nick Markakis will be a year younger than Nick Swisher in 2015 and the Indians will be paying HIM 15M. A LOT of people on this forum wanted us to sign Swisher last winter, and IMO I wouldn't trade Markakis for Swisher.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #19 by ofahn » June 18th, 2013, 4:30 pm

osforlife wrote:Down lower on the farm, it is disappointing to see Brendan Webb having an awful season.

It's a shame, but he's unable or unwilling to fix the numerous holes in his swing. Unless he makes a dramatic turnaround this season I will no longer consider him a prospect.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #20 by birdwatcher55 » June 22nd, 2013, 9:04 am

Bigger issue right now is Chris Davis markakis will be on decline in two years. We need to lock up our cornerstones like Davis and machado long term like we did with adam :D
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #21 by birdwatcher55 » June 22nd, 2013, 9:07 am

A_K wrote:Good lord I hope the Orioles don't voluntarily decide to pay Nick Markakis $17.5 million in 2015. Insane.

I don't see that happening with manny and Davis pending 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by mikezpen » June 25th, 2013, 10:43 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I don't see that happening with manny and Davis pending 8-)

...and Wieters
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

PostPost #23 by birdwatcher55 » June 26th, 2013, 3:03 pm

After the recent draft top heavy in catching and Joseph emerging, I'm starting to think they let Wieters walk. Just not worth the big bucks. They spend the money in other areas like Manny and Davis 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by osforlife » June 26th, 2013, 7:40 pm

It's great that Caleb Joseph is hitting, but he is 27 years old playing in AA. If the Orioles didn't have an obsession over AAA catchers, Joseph would be in Norfolk by now. I think everybody in the organization sees him as a utility(C, 1B, LF, RF, DH), and/or a backup catcher in the majors. The Orioles don't really have a impact catcher in the system now, although they did draft four catchers this year. But, I don't think any of them will be ready in two years, so the Orioles may need a stop gap. Hell, maybe Joseph is the stop gap, but it isn't a good idea to plan on that. Michael Ohlman is absolutely smoking the ball in Frederick, maybe he is the stop gap.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #25 by A_K » June 28th, 2013, 2:31 pm

ofahn wrote:
In effect, the team will only be paying him 15M because the 2.5M buyout is already spent money. That being said Nick Markakis will be a year younger than Nick Swisher in 2015 and the Indians will be paying HIM 15M. A LOT of people on this forum wanted us to sign Swisher last winter, and IMO I wouldn't trade Markakis for Swisher.

I would love to trade Markakis for Swisher. Swisher's been significantly better in each of the last three seasons. What possible reason would you have for not wanting to trade for an objectively superior player?
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #26 by ofahn » June 28th, 2013, 3:26 pm

A_K wrote:What possible reason would you have for not wanting to trade for an objectively superior player?

This, we do NOT disagree on.

A_K wrote:I would love to trade Markakis for Swisher. Swisher's been significantly better in each of the last three seasons.

This, we DO.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by A_K » June 28th, 2013, 7:04 pm

ofahn wrote:This, we do NOT disagree on.

This, we DO.

Right, but it's not really open for disagreement. Swisher has provided more value as a baseball player in each of the last three seasons than Nick Markakis. That's an irrefutable fact.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #28 by ofahn » June 29th, 2013, 10:41 am

A_K wrote:Right, but it's not really open for disagreement. Swisher has provided more value as a baseball player in each of the last three seasons than Nick Markakis. That's an irrefutable fact.

I believe we disagree on Swisher's value.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles