Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

A pessimist chimes in

A pessimist chimes in

PostPost #1 by docjj » April 7th, 2011, 10:21 pm

I'm pleased as punch that we're 5-1. But I see a LOT of problem areas.

First and foremost, the rotation. I have very little faith in Tillman and Bergesen. Tillman inexplicably has lost 8 MPH on his fastball. His 86 MPH heat just won't cut it in the big leagues. Bergesen has the occasional solid outing, but mostly resembles batting practice fodder.

Second, injuries are already exposing our lack of depth. Seeing Izturis tonight made me miss Hardy.

I'm starting to worry that I've been wrong about Wieters all this time. I've said for the past 2 years he'll emerge into a Joe Mauer with power and anchor the middle of the lineup. He looks like he forgot how to hit. He swings are slow deliberate swings trying to spray the ball around. I'd like to see him take some meaningful hacks and target the fences more.
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: A pessimist chimes in

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » April 8th, 2011, 6:04 am

I have no clue what happened to Tillman and I agree sitting in the mid to upper 80s is not going to fly! Bergesen has always been a command type guy. When he has it he could at least keep the team in a ballgame. When he doesn't he's just a replacement player. This sort of thing keeps up and you can bet that Mark Connor is going to be under a great deal of scrutiny.

As for Weiters, he's already an above average Catcher. The power hasn't shown up yet but he's still young and it's only six games in.

I get your concerns though, Adam Jones still doesn't have patience at the plate and depth on the team is paper thin.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #3 by Shorebirdfan » April 8th, 2011, 6:04 am

I'll agree with you on one thing...you're a pessimist.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #4 by joecap1946 » April 8th, 2011, 7:09 am

Guys we are 6 games into the season. We have had numerous injuries. I think the remaining pitchers are trying to do too much. The fact the Bergy was wild, and Tillman didn't pitch another no hitter doesn't bother me.

Vlad is starting to heat up, Jones had a great game on the field and with the bat, Reynolds is raking again and Lee hit a homer the other night. We are 6-1, yes 6-1. Why would you ever be a pessimist?? Last year you would be jumping for joy.

Long season, lets play the game one at a time. BTW, Weiters may not be hitting like a "Mauer", and I think the comparison is silly. But the sure knows how to handle the pitchers and call a game.

Relax, gonna be just fine. Hey we could be TB or Boston.

Go O's
joecap1946
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #5 by docjj » April 8th, 2011, 7:19 am

Boston may have stumbled out of the gate, but they're going to be in the playoff hunt in the end. Do you really think a lineup with Youkilis, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Crawford, Gonzales, Ortiz, Drew, is going to hit .130 for the whole year?

I don't know why people were writing off the Yankees before the season began. So the rotation had a few question marks after Sabathia. The lineup is as murderer's row as ever. I think I could notch a few wins in the rotation with that lineup.

As far as the O's, I don't think Bergesen and Tillman are that good. Bergesen has had some success in the past. But his stuff is marginal and he needs to be perfect with it to get by. Tillman has had an inexplicable loss of velocity from 95 MPH to 86 MPH on his fastball. An 86 MPH fastball will not work at the Major League level- especially when it is as straight as an arrow. He shut down the over-anxious Rays because they pathetically hacked at pitches way out of the strike zone. A more disciplined, patient team would gladly take the 10 walks he would have issued.

It's great to see the hot start. And I don't think the offense has clicked on all cylinders yet. But I think we're going to come crashing down to earth soon. Especially because we face the best team in the American League this weekend, and I'm going to the games (and everytime I go to a game, it ends in a blowout loss!)
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #6 by joecap1946 » April 8th, 2011, 11:07 am

Ok docjj, I was merely pointing out of the poor starts TB and Boston got off to. I know that when the end is near, both will be fighting for the playoff spot.

We have a nice team, one that can make some noise after all is said and done. You lucky stiff getting to go to the games. I live in Florida and have to settle for MLB.TV.

New tradition, they will start winning for you. :mrgreen: I did make two games last year, and they won both for me. Enjoy the games, Go O's.

BTW, how is the weather in Baltimore ?. Looks like rain.

Have fun and I'll be thinking of you, watching the O's hand Texas their first loss.
joecap1946
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #7 by Old Sneakers » April 8th, 2011, 1:39 pm

Just out of curiosity, does anyone recall what Tillman was hitting on the radar gun in spring training? I agree it's just the first week here, but mid 80s fastballs are beyond worrisome.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

Return to Baltimore Orioles