Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

ERA leaders with min. 9 starts June 7, 2013

ERA leaders with min. 9 starts June 7, 2013

PostPost #1 by adonijah1510 » June 8th, 2013, 5:16 pm

adonijah1510
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 8

Re: ERA leaders with min. 9 starts June 7, 2013

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » June 9th, 2013, 7:18 am

With Rodriguez and especially Hader you have to temper excitement as both are young as well as the level they are playing at. Both have had pretty decent years though. Rodriguez went from being completely unknown to legitimate prospect last season. As for Hader, you can color me guilty as I thought he was just a local kid given a chance. He's got talent which is evident. You would just like to see him reduce the walks a little. Regardless it's nice to see the team find two lefties that weren't highly touted and have something (barring injury) of a major league future. I'm not sure either figures to be decent strike out type guys someday. What important is that they do prove durable.

As for Wright, he still needs some development time in the minors. I don't think he's going to become a big name someday. I think he's a shot at become a nice workhorse though. When you look at pitchers, that is what separates them. A guy that can give you ordinary results with 175+ IP per year. Is worth a great deal more than a guy that offers you 100 IP with great results. It seems I constantly tell people "Be patient" Slowly bring guys along and not rushing them seems to yield far better long term results.

I say that as if you've seen the Orioles rotation issues the past 5-6 years you should know that Jeremy Guthrie was a great deal better than he was given credit for. He was the team's only real starter for what seemed like an eternity. In 2009 he was the best player on a terrible team. Fans dished out so much negativity on him and it was completely stupid. He still managed 200 IP that year. The only real knock on him is that he gave up too many home runs. I guess my point is, there is no need to rush. We are going to need Mike Wright sooner rather than later. I'd hope that once he reaches the majors he isn't shuttled back and forth to a minor league affiliate.

With Britton, he always profiled as a ground ball inducing back end starter. He was never going to be spectacular but a lefty that is a ground ball machine at OPACY is a pretty good asset to have. What exactly has held him up from any sort of long term success... Somewhat of a mystery. We can sit here and point to command until time ends. What I know is that once he gets sent back to Norfolk he slowly gets better and better. Then you think he's ready. He earns the promotion and then the wheels come off. Much the same with Arrieta. I keep wondering if something is wrong at Norfolk. I realize there is a huge talent jump from AAA to the major leagues. Though these guys should not get shelled like they have been and should not have hugely inflated pitch counts like they do. Is it pitch sequencing? I know Arrieta is far better when he's aggressive.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #3 by ofahn » June 15th, 2013, 9:59 am

Old Sneakers wrote:With Rodriguez ... you have to temper excitement as both are young as well as the level they are playing at.

Just a reminder that Rodriguez is pitching effectively at High A and he just turned twenty. You don't find those kind of prospects very often. Combine that with fact that he already touches 93-94 MPH and he has a developing change up and you REALLY have something.

At 6' 2" and about 180 lbs he has plenty of room to fill out with good nutrition and a proper workout routine. Add a couple of MPHs to the FB and improve that change up to a plus pitch along with an above average slider and you have the upside of a LH #2 SP. IMO that makes him untouchable except where would get back a quality SP that we would control for at least two more years.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Old Sneakers » June 15th, 2013, 2:38 pm

Oh there is lots to like in Rodriguez. Please have no doubt I am just as high on him as everyone else. I just do not want unrealistic expectations to dictate his development. At the end of next season (with luck and a lot of hard work) he will have gotten through a full season at AA and getting much closer to Baltimore. I just want him having a full season at each level before being given a few starts at the major league level. He like every pitcher is going to have things to work on. I think David Price was the last really good prospect to put it all together quickly.

I look at it the same way with all of them.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #5 by ofahn » June 15th, 2013, 3:25 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Oh there is lots to like in Rodriguez. Please have no doubt I am just as high on him as everyone else. I just do not want unrealistic expectations to dictate his development. At the end of next season (with luck and a lot of hard work) he will have gotten through a full season at AA and getting much closer to Baltimore. I just want him having a full season at each level before being given a few starts at the major league level. He like every pitcher is going to have things to work on. I think David Price was the last really good prospect to put it all together quickly.

I look at it the same way with all of them.

It just bothers me that some fans might be willing to trade him for some broken down rental that won't make a difference.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by mikezpen » June 17th, 2013, 2:20 am

It just bothers me that some fans might be willing to trade him for some broken down rental that won't make a difference.

I feel the same way about Henry Urrutia.I think there are other guys you could package to get that rental SP if you want to go that route.Hoes and Avery come to mind.
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #7 by LA Detective » June 17th, 2013, 4:57 pm

Britton 4 good starts in a row. In the last 3: 19ip, 19ks and only 5 walks. I still hold out hope he can help us
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

Return to Minor Leagues