Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Ricky Nolasco

Ricky Nolasco

PostPost #1 by dan72 » June 14th, 2013, 2:49 pm

This quote from MLB trade rumors
Interested to hear your thoughts
•The Orioles and Yankees are "leading the parade of teams that already have interest" in Miami's Ricky Nolasco. The 30-year-old is easily the highest-paid Marlin, and should have about $7.7MM remaining on his contract at the trade deadline. Nolasco has a 3.61 ERA in 82 1/3 innings, and sports his best strikeout rate since 2010.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: Ricky Nolasco

PostPost #2 by ofahn » June 14th, 2013, 4:43 pm

dan72 wrote:The Orioles and Yankees are "leading the parade of teams that already have interest" in Miami's Ricky Nolasco.

The problem with Nolasco as I see it is that:

1) There's NO guarantee that he would be effective in the American League East.
2) He's a free agent at the end of the year and we wouldn't get a draft pick as compensation.
3) The Marlins got Jacob Turner from the Tigers for Anibel Sanchez last year and will be looking for a similar value for Nolasco. We don't have ANY quality prospects we can spare and Miami would probably be looking for something like Mike Wright and Henry Urrutia from us. For a team with an empty farm system that's a big price to pay.
4) Nolasco can't fix TWO rotation spots and that's how many we need fixed right now.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by A_K » June 14th, 2013, 4:55 pm

1) There's no guarantee of anything
2) The fact that he's a free agent after the season is a good thing, as is his lack of attached draft pick compensation. Both have the effect of deflating the price he could fetch in a trade.
3) Sanchez was two years younger and much better than Nolasco. Why would they require similar compensation?
4) Just because I need to eat three meals by the end of the day doesn't mean I should pass on breakfast because it'll only count as one.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #4 by ofahn » June 14th, 2013, 4:57 pm

A_K wrote:Sanchez was two years younger and much better than Nolasco. Why would they require similar compensation?

Accepting that as a given for argument's sake, which prospect(s) would you be willing to offer? I remind you that we have a VERY thin farm system.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Seafordeagles » June 14th, 2013, 4:59 pm

A_K wrote:1) There's no guarantee of anything
2) The fact that he's a free agent after the season is a good thing, as is his lack of attached draft pick compensation. Both have the effect of deflating the price he could fetch in a trade.
3) Sanchez was two years younger and much better than Nolasco. Why would they require similar compensation?
4) Just because I need to eat three meals by the end of the day doesn't mean I should pass on breakfast because it'll only count as one.

Skip lunch, breakfast is your most important meal....................
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #6 by A_K » June 14th, 2013, 8:34 pm

ofahn wrote:
Accepting that as a given for argument's sake, which prospect(s) would you be willing to offer? I remind you that we have a VERY thin farm system.

For a guy like Nolasco you certainly aren't talking about anything special. Usually it would just be someone a scout in the other organization likes a little bit. Someone like Tim Berry or Miguel Chalas. Wouldn't cost much.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #7 by Old Sneakers » June 15th, 2013, 12:07 am

"leading the parade"

That could translate into a phone call or two just to get a feel in what it would take to get him. The cost in prospects must remain low as this anything but a sure thing. As well as just half a season on the team. Additionally it's a not like it's a nothing salary for half a season.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #8 by mikezpen » June 15th, 2013, 6:16 am

There's very little I'd trade Henry Urrutia for. And this guy ain't one.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #9 by thezeroes » June 15th, 2013, 7:17 am

When trading for a Ricky Nolasco type or any other player you should look at the forty man roster and ask yourself who on here would you trade for this guy.

You need to make room on the forty for these players and if you have no one to place on the Sixty Day DL someone will get the boot.

Just roster construction 101.

If you trade a mid level prospect that is not on the forty and then have to DFA a player from the forty to make room, would you not then being trading two for this player??
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 15th, 2013, 8:58 am

mikezpen wrote:There's very little I'd trade Henry Urrutia for. And this guy ain't one.

I'd deal Urrutia for Nolasco without hesitation.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #11 by dan72 » June 15th, 2013, 9:04 am

As would I. Urritia is 26 years old and he is not ever going to be Yoennis Cespedes. At best he could be a starting corner outfielder, at worst he is a 4th outfielder. Even average #3 ro 4 Starting pitchers have more value. Nolasco plus the return of Chen would sure up our rotation.......
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #12 by ofahn » June 15th, 2013, 9:21 am

A_K wrote:Someone like Tim Berry

Even Tim Berry would be big expense for us because he's one of the few projectable SPs we have in our system.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by ofahn » June 15th, 2013, 9:21 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I'd deal Urrutia for Nolasco without hesitation.

We don't agree on this.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Rising O's » June 15th, 2013, 4:02 pm

We traded a bullpen arm for Saunders last year. You can expect the same for Nolasco. The Marlins want to be rid of that 4 million.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #15 by ofahn » June 15th, 2013, 4:06 pm

Rising O's wrote:We traded a bullpen arm for Saunders last year. You can expect the same for Nolasco. The Marlins want to be rid of that 4 million.

If the Marlins are willing to accept Strop for Nolasco I'd make that trade in a minute, but I doubt it.........................
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles