Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles are calling up Kevin Gausman

Re: Orioles are calling up Kevin Gausman

PostPost #61 by birdwatcher55 » June 11th, 2013, 12:23 pm

I think Chen's return sends him to Bowie and then to Norfolk by August 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #62 by OriolesRedskins28 » June 15th, 2013, 12:48 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:does he go back to AA where he belongs or do you "push" him in Norfolk?

That's a stretch. With many people who had actually seen him pitch in AA believing he was ready for his ML call up I wouldn't say he belongs in AA or is being pushed by being sent to AAA.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #63 by OriolesRedskins28 » June 15th, 2013, 12:58 pm

Looks like Gausman has been sent to AAA to make room for Arrieta. I like everything that has happened so far for his development. He got called up to the majors and learned some things he wouldn't have been able to learn in AA and is now likely going to get at least a couple starts at AAA to work on some of those things.

I don't think his 5 ML starts have "ruined" him as a prospect or shattered his confidence, if anything I think it will help him down the road. He got to prove that he's able to pitch at the ML level by his stretches of dominance against ML hitters but that there are also some things he still needs to work on. He'll be at a level that he's never pitched at before that's also above the AA level he was at before.

So because of those 5 starts he got a positive learning experience that I believe would not have happened had he remained at AA and the Orioles went 2-3 in his starts. Hardly the end of the world.

I loved the way the Orioles have handled the entire situation so far.

An excerpt from Roch Kubatko's post on the matter:
"Showalter didn't make any promises to Gausman. He could be back quickly, he could stay in Norfolk all season - though the latter scenario seems highly unlikely. The Orioles want Gausman to go down there, at a level he's never pitched at, and earn another promotion. They also don't want the other starters to feel as though Gausman is ahead of them.

"If we had played nine innings, Gaus would have stayed," Showalter said. "I told him that last night, probably a little too up front about it. But I also told him there were no assurances. The good side of it is, he leaves with a good outing and it gives him a chance to take a deep breath and kind of think about some things.

"See what the needs are going to be here. I told him to go down there and present himself as an option for us. It's all in his hands. We have other people that we like, too, and that's good to know. That's a good feeling. He could go down there and pitch well and present himself as a good option and still not (return). That's kind of the way it works."

Pitching coach Rick Adair talked to Norfolk pitching coach Mike Griffin today about "some things we want to fine-tune a little bit and some areas of emphasis," Showalter said. "And Gaus knows."

This isn't just a paper move. Gausman will report to the Tides "and settle in there," Showalter said, "unless somehow a situation presents itself that he would be needed to come back before the 10 days or after 10 days."
"
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #64 by LA Detective » June 17th, 2013, 4:46 pm

I do think he was rushed but I think this experience will only make him better faster. He may stay down for 5 or 6 starts or he might be back up but I do see him as a weapon for us in the 2nd half. He seems to be learning each time.

What I would like to see is a little more downward movement on his FB. It seems he goes to at least 5 pitches on every hitter even when he has good command. If he misses over the plate he gets crushed. A little more movement might make his mistakes less damaging. It will also help his pitch count. He might get some easier 2 or 3 pitch outs instead of the 5 or 6 pitch K everytime. Not to take away from him being a K pitcher just to get a few easier outs as he navigates thru the lineups during the game.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #65 by birdwatcher55 » June 18th, 2013, 12:12 pm

Gausman really needs to develop that third pitch whether it be a curve or a slider. He is still very much a work in progress. I would prefer he not pitch in Baltimore again this year unless it is in an eighth inning role where he is coming in and strictly throwing gas 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #66 by ofahn » June 24th, 2013, 2:39 pm

Gausman was just recalled.

Kevin Gausman is listed among the Orioles' relievers for tonight's game against the Indians. Freddy Garcia is no longer listed among the starters and said he has been put on waivers.

More accurately, he has been designated for assignment.

The Orioles haven't made an announcement, but one is pending.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... oster.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #67 by birdwatcher55 » June 25th, 2013, 12:20 pm

What role I wonder??? Bullpen??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #68 by LA Detective » July 1st, 2013, 5:04 pm

Gausman thur, Chen Fri, Tilman Sat and Britton again on Sunday? 2 lefties against the yanks and keeps the pitchers from going on 4 days rest again. The fact that Gausman is still with us leads to this. Unless Chen isnt pitching Friday?
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #69 by birdwatcher55 » July 2nd, 2013, 12:33 pm

Is Gausman a definite in Chicago Thursday????? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #70 by mikezpen » July 2nd, 2013, 2:41 pm

Hopefully the Feldman acquisition w/move Gausman back to the minors and left undisturbed.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

PostPost #71 by ofahn » July 2nd, 2013, 3:10 pm

mikezpen wrote:Hopefully the Feldman acquisition w/move Gausman back to the minors and left undisturbed.

If you include Gausman in the group we currently have six SPs and that will be seven when Chen comes back. The idea of allowing Gausman to come in late in the game and throw 98 MPH is really enticing, but I think the team is better suited allowing him to learn how at AAA to take a game into the eighth inning or later with some consistency.

That being said, they might allow him to stay in Baltimore until Chen comes back because the bullpen is currently a man short.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles