Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Hobgood

Re: Hobgood

PostPost #46 by dan72 » June 11th, 2013, 4:23 pm

Ofahn- we agree completely on this topic. The only difference between the two is that Matusz was completely dominant in A and AA before being pre maturely sent to Baltimore.
If we had that to do over again, Brian should have spent time at AAA where some of his short comings would have been detected prior to reaching Baltimore. While Brian provides a glimmer of being an effective short reliever at the MLB level, I would bet against ever seeing Hobgood reach the majors. I don't think the talent is there. Couple that with the type of injury he sustained and you have a bad recipe for reaching the show.
I think that the way these kids were managed or lack there of has forever damaged both of them. I also think Britton and Arrieta were hurt by the lack of good developmental coaches. Amazingly Tillman has survived and seems to be on a good track. Could be because he was brought through Seattles system prior to ours. I think Tillman would have prospered sooner with better coaching as well. What a shame, two high profile draft picks and almost nothing to show for it.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #47 by mikezpen » June 15th, 2013, 6:21 am

When you look back and see that the Orioles have developed almost nothing in the way of starting pitching since Mike Mussina, it becomes obvious that the coaching in the Orioles' system has been lousy for many years-try two decades.It's only with the coming of Rick Peterson that I begin to have any hope at all.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #48 by birdwatcher55 » June 18th, 2013, 12:24 pm

I think Matusz is and never will be anything but a situational lefthander out of the bullpen. That is huge and rock like fall from being the #4 pick in the draft a few years ago. Just awful 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #49 by Rising O's » September 7th, 2013, 11:02 am

Matt Hobgood has had an overall successful stint at A+. 30IP 29H walk rate is down and K rate is up from A level. Otherwise everything else is holding steady. Is it enough to start him at AA next year?
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #50 by dan72 » September 7th, 2013, 11:16 am

His combined ERA this year between two levels is 4.34 and his WHIP is 1.3 and 1.4. He is 23 which is just about right for AA, he maybe just a tad behind. I would start him at AA and see what happens. His WHIP indicates that he is pitching with runners on base more than I would like. Worst case scenario he has to go back down.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #51 by osforlife » September 7th, 2013, 1:33 pm

Hobgood didn't have a good season, but the key component here is that he stayed healthy. He should probably start the year at Frederick as a one-inning reliever.
4.32 ERA
1.37 WHIP
8.6 H/9
0.4 HR/9
3.7 BB/9
6.9 K/9
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #52 by ofahn » September 7th, 2013, 2:34 pm

osforlife wrote: He should probably start the year at Frederick as a one-inning reliever.

Yeah, I'd probably do that with him, but I wouldn't make him stay more than a couple of months if he's dominant.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #53 by Rising O's » September 11th, 2013, 12:58 pm

If he his healthy I believe the Orioles should allow Hobgood to start at A+ and move up to AA quickly with even average results.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #54 by ofahn » September 16th, 2013, 6:28 pm

Rising O's wrote:If he his healthy I believe the Orioles should allow Hobgood to start at A+ and move up to AA quickly with even average results.

If you mean league average I'm OK with that, but he should be required to show he can out perform the level of competition he's playing at.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #55 by Old Sneakers » September 16th, 2013, 10:16 pm

I would have thought they would keep him in Frederick and try to work him as a starter.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

Previous

Return to Minor Leagues