Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Hobgood

Re: Hobgood

PostPost #31 by Rising O's » May 17th, 2013, 10:06 pm

He's not getting hit hard and the walks are way down after a poor start commanding the zone. The return of plus velocity is nice, but its really going to be about improving that change-up and getting the curve over for strikes. But its a very promising return for Matt. I would love to see some video.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #32 by birdwatcher55 » May 20th, 2013, 12:49 pm

How has he been doing of late??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #33 by Rising O's » May 20th, 2013, 7:47 pm

0 Hr 1 XBH in 25IP.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #34 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 21st, 2013, 9:42 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:How has he been doing of late??? 8-)

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.js ... pid=571784
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #35 by Old Sneakers » May 27th, 2013, 10:30 pm

~In pirate voice~~

Arrr! The laddy threw a stinker last night!

1.1IP 6H 4R 4ER 1BB 2SO

No clue if this was just a bad night or what. Needless to say it's a nasty blemish on an otherwise decent start to the season.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #36 by dan72 » May 28th, 2013, 10:13 am

Just looking at his stats and wondering why so many 1 inning appearances? He has gone 3+ innings a few times with good success. I am curious to see how batters will do against him the second or third time through the line up. I know that his innings are closely monitored following surgery, I just wonder how many of those 1 inning outings were against the bottom of the line up? Situational numbers can easily be skewed as success.
Provided he continues to pitch well I'd like to see him against tougher competition ie. a promotion.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #37 by birdwatcher55 » May 28th, 2013, 12:30 pm

I read Hobgood said he was tired after an eight hour bus ride!! Man anybody would be punchy after doing that 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #38 by ofahn » May 28th, 2013, 3:30 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I read Hobgood said he was tired after an eight hour bus ride!! Man anybody would be punchy after doing that 8-)

Winning pitchers find ways to overcome that, and he was facing low A ball hitters.

It's his career. He'll need to step it up if he's going to be MLer.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #39 by osforlife » May 29th, 2013, 4:38 pm

Still, it has been a productive, and most importantly, HEALTHY start to the season for Hobgood.
2.25 ERA/2.89 FIP/1.13 WHIP/6.47 H/9/2.00 SO/BB
He is still only 22 years old. I'd say he is almost definitely a reliever going forward, but there is nothing wrong with letting him try to attempt being a starter again.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #40 by ofahn » May 29th, 2013, 4:42 pm

osforlife wrote:there is nothing wrong with letting him try to attempt being a starter again.

He needs to build innings, but he should spend at least half of his season at Frederick and be successful there for the team to consider him in their long term plans as a SP.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #41 by birdwatcher55 » May 30th, 2013, 1:00 pm

I would keep him as a reliever with long term closer possibility. He reminds me of Jim Johnson in his infant stages of development 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #42 by Old Sneakers » May 30th, 2013, 1:55 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I would keep him as a reliever with long term closer possibility. He reminds me of Jim Johnson in his infant stages of development 8-)

His velocity would have to be over the top to succeed there. I would say keep him in long relief and "If" he proves durable and efficient with his pitches a shot at starting. Regardless of role he can achieve the main thing is he reaches the major leagues and stays there holding a position the team can build around.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #43 by A_K » June 3rd, 2013, 3:54 pm

ofahn wrote:
He needs to build innings, but he should spend at least half of his season at Frederick and be successful there for the team to consider him in their long term plans as a SP.

I'd be surprised to hear that he's in anyone's long term plans, as a SP or anything else.

He's under contract, and his signing bonus has already been paid. Certainly they'll make every effort to squeeze some value out of him. But given the regime change and the number of years it's been since he resembled the guy they thought they were drafting, I'd be shocked to hear he was seen as anything other than a standard long reliever in single A.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #44 by OriolesRedskins28 » June 11th, 2013, 3:22 pm

I wouldn't even consider him in the future as a SP. After a major shoulder surgery he's damaged goods. Shoulder surgeries are not like Tommy John where the pitcher can return to being effective and durable. Hopefully he can develop as a reliever but I certainly won't be getting my hopes up.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #45 by ofahn » June 11th, 2013, 4:01 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:I wouldn't even consider him in the future as a SP.

At the beginning of the year he was effective in short stints, but as he started going through the lineup a second time he became hittable. I now agree that the best we'll probably see from him is as a reliever.

IMO Hobgood and Matusz are similar cases. Both of them were brought into a JOKE of a development system that had NO concerns about a prospect's nutrition or conditioning. The summer that Hobgood was drafted and signed he put on a large amount of weight and fell out of any shape he might have been in. Then, in an effort to justify his bonus, he was allowed to pitch like he WAS in shape and he hurt his shoulder. CA - CHING!! Now you're left with the upside of a middle reliever and 2.4M down the drain.

Matusz didn't get fat, but he was as soft as a roll of Charmin so he was normally limited to about 80 to 100 pitches per outing regardless of the number of innings that took. And then, because he was promoted through the system without ever being required to learn how to get through an inning on a limited number of pitches, his conditioning became a factor in the majors. Combine that with the failure he encountered by being asked to be a SP in the ML when he wasn't properly developed and CA - CHING, you're left with the upside of a middle reliever and another big signing bonus down the drain.

Thank you Peter Angelos.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Minor Leagues