Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Choose RHP Hunter Harvey (HS) With Their First Round Pick

Orioles Choose RHP Hunter Harvey (HS) With Their First Round Pick

PostPost #1 by ofahn » June 6th, 2013, 8:25 pm

He's the son of former Angel's Closer Bryan Harvey.

With all of the college SPs available I'm surprised we picked someone who will need four or five years to reach the ML.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Orioles Choose RHP Hunter Harvey (HS) With Their First Round Pick

PostPost #2 by birdwatcher55 » June 6th, 2013, 8:26 pm

I love this pick!,,,
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #3 by ofahn » June 6th, 2013, 8:42 pm

This is MLB.com's scouting report on Harvey.

6'03" 175lbs DOB: 12/09/94 | The son of former All-Star closer Bryan Harvey, this North Carolina high school product has used a strong spring to move up Draft boards. He's gained some strength and has a fresh arm after not playing summer ball. Harvey will throw his above-average fastball up to 94 mph. He throws a curve and a changeup, both of which are a bit inconsistent but have the chance to be Major League average pitches. And he has more room to add strength, so there might be more in the tank. That projectability, to go along with his Major League bloodlines, will surely have many teams interested come Draft day.

Here's a link to his scouting video. http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?topic_id=4039 ... d=25872387
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by osforlife » June 6th, 2013, 8:57 pm

ofahn wrote:He's the son of former Angel's Closer Bryan Harvey.

With all of the college SPs available I'm surprised we picked someone who will need four or five years to reach the ML.

With the way the Orioles move there arms through the system, I seriously doubt the Orioles will have Harvey spending four+ years in the minors. Not saying he will be ready in less than four years. I'm just saying, I do not think he will spend almost a year at every level.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #5 by Rising O's » June 6th, 2013, 9:54 pm

Lot of college talent still available in round 2. Plus a couple of HS arms. Might get another good upside player.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #6 by Rising O's » June 6th, 2013, 10:28 pm

Hunter Green here? Crap.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Rising O's » June 6th, 2013, 11:03 pm

Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Old Sneakers » June 7th, 2013, 12:38 am

Surprised to be honest. Not because I dislike Harvey as a prospect. More because of age. He's going to require real time to move up through the minors an easy 5-6 years. What worries me is that the Orioles are so really aggressive moving top prospects up quickly. I don't want to see the kid get shelled.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #9 by mikezpen » June 7th, 2013, 2:39 am

Kid seems to have good talent but will require a lot of polishing on his mechanics.The chances of the Orioles' system accomplishing this seem dubious to me given the fact that they haven't developed a good starting pitcher in almost literally ages.

They could have gone college and gotten more of a finished product. But at #24 there might not have been any really good ones left on the board and the only way to get top potential was to take a HS kid.I guess that was their thinking.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #10 by Old Sneakers » June 7th, 2013, 3:13 am

mikezpen wrote:They could have gone college and gotten more of a finished product. But at #24 there might not have been any really good ones left on the board and the only way to get top potential was to take a HS kid.I guess that was their thinking.

They picked 22nd and 37th. But truth be told there was still loads of college talent still on the board. Certainly sign-ability was a factor in the selection but it was not at all as if Harvey was any kind of reach. He's long figured to be in or very close to a first round talent. The team is never going to have too much pitching talent/depth. I like the selection. It's all about the development time as this is a very young man.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #11 by Rising O's » June 7th, 2013, 10:01 am

If Harvey is willing to sign for a discount, you could see the Orioles drafting a player today that would normally be un-signable.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by ofahn » June 7th, 2013, 10:46 am

Rising O's wrote:If Harvey is willing to sign for a discount, you could see the Orioles drafting a player today that would normally be un-signable.

Great minds (LOL) think alike. I just got finished posting almost the exact same thing before I saw this post.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to MLB Draft