Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Back from the ledge!

Back from the ledge!

PostPost #1 by docjj » June 2nd, 2013, 10:40 pm

Davis' unbelievable season has me back from the ledge!

Question regarding Wada- Are the O's contractually bound to call him up at a certain point? How much time does he have left in the minors before we have to call him up? What if he's still stinking it up at Norfolk? What do we do with him then?
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: Back from the ledge!

PostPost #2 by birdwatcher55 » June 3rd, 2013, 11:24 am

Let him pitch in Norfolk or release him would be my guess. Buck is not going to trust a guy who is essentially batting practice 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #3 by ofahn » June 3rd, 2013, 12:47 pm

docjj wrote: Are the O's contractually bound to call him up at a certain point? How much time does he have left in the minors before we have to call him up?

A rehab assignment has a maximum period of 30 days and I believe we're about halfway through that. He certainly isn't pitching well or even showing any improvement.

He has a clause in his contract that requires his permission to be OPTIONED to the minors (a rehab assignment is NOT being optioned). If he still isn't pitching well when his rehab time is done I could see the team working out some kind of agreement with him that would allow them to option him, but with an opt out clause in thirty days or so. Wada wouldn't be doing himself any favors to demand that he be released if he's not placed on the 25 man roster because, IF the team does release him, any other team that signed him would almost certainly do so on a minor league contract until he became effective again.

The team invested over 8M in his two year contract. They're NOT going to release him unless they have NO other choice.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » June 4th, 2013, 10:51 am

You have already eaten close to $6 million for a guy who has not thrown a pitch for you. What's another $2 million unless you strictly want him to mop up??? If that's the case, who gets cut??? If you don't trust this guy to start for you and he's essentially a starter, then you have a worthless situation. I can't see the Orioles (a) wasting roster space; and (b) Buck trusting him enough to pitch in a playoff race 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Rising O's » June 4th, 2013, 11:09 am

But he still needs to be placed on the 25 man in order to be optioned to the minors because he signed a major league contract.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #6 by ofahn » June 4th, 2013, 11:13 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:You have already eaten close to $6 million for a guy who has not thrown a pitch for you. What's another $2 million unless you strictly want him to mop up??? If that's the case, who gets cut??? If you don't trust this guy to start for you and he's essentially a starter, then you have a worthless situation. I can't see the Orioles (a) wasting roster space; and (b) Buck trusting him enough to pitch in a playoff race 8-)

Did you read anything I wrote? It answers all of your questions.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » June 4th, 2013, 12:12 pm

I read it and like I wrote: you have a worthless situation right now. Call it what you want, and do any procedural move you want with him but the bottom line is this guy has not thrown an inning for you in two years and likely never will on the major league level. He's become a massive $8 million dollar hit 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by ofahn » June 4th, 2013, 1:16 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I read it and like I wrote: you have a worthless situation right now. Call it what you want, and do any procedural move you want with him but the bottom line is this guy has not thrown an inning for you in two years and likely never will on the major league level. He's become a massive $8 million dollar hit 8-)

All of that is true and none of is relevant to what you posted earlier.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by birdwatcher55 » June 5th, 2013, 11:26 am

It is totally relevant when you're p*****g away $8 million!!
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by dan72 » June 8th, 2013, 11:10 pm

While you are back from the ledge, I am moving out to the ledge. Our lack of pitching, and Dan Duquettes inability to improve the team last winter has me very concerned. Until our lack of pitching is addressed, this Orioles team is handcuffed against the competition. Only because of the offense has this team stayed competitive. Even though we have won 11 of the lat 17 games, the teams in front of us are winning at an even better pace.
I have one question, who is happy with 4th place? Certainly not this fan.... I see this team as just a couple arms away from the playoffs. Had we resigned Saunders and aquired one more front line starter, we could be at the front of the AL east. No one should be pleased with 4th place.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #11 by birdwatcher55 » June 9th, 2013, 7:57 am

I'm not happy either, some thoughts:
-- Losing Chen has REALLY hurt. This guy was probably our best pitcher, at least the most consistent.
-- Angelos wasn't going to increase payroll. I think Dan had a budget and did what he could do within it.
-- I think losing Bundy really hurt as well. I think Duquette viewed him as an impact kind of guy who would settle into the rotation by mid-season.
-- I think Saunders could end up back here at deadline IF Gausman is sent back as one would expect now.
-- Lastly I don't see Dan sitting idly here. We're 3.5 back. This division is very winnable.
8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by ofahn » June 9th, 2013, 8:24 am

dan72 wrote:Had we resigned Saunders and aquired one more front line starter,

I hope you understand that is a rhetorical statement and either wasn't a realistic possibility without overpaying.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Old Sneakers » June 9th, 2013, 8:44 am

ofahn wrote:
I hope you understand that is a rhetorical statement and either wasn't a realistic possibility without overpaying.

Re-signing Saunders would've been good business. Getting a front line starter would have been far to costly. The team needs inning eating starting pitching or we are going to remain mediocre at best.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #14 by ofahn » June 9th, 2013, 9:01 am

Old Sneakers wrote:
Re-signing Saunders would've been good business. Getting a front line starter would have been far to costly. The team needs inning eating starting pitching or we are going to remain mediocre at best.

Just a reminder that he wanted TWO years to resign with us. That would have been a bad contract.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by birdwatcher55 » June 9th, 2013, 11:13 am

As bad as Wada??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles