Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles are calling up Kevin Gausman

Re: Orioles are calling up Kevin Gausman

PostPost #46 by OriolesRedskins28 » May 29th, 2013, 10:35 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:If you check Gausman's game log, he's struggled in his first few starts at each level.

Excellent point.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #47 by mikezpen » May 30th, 2013, 11:09 am

I wouldn't go much longer w/Gausman. Two starts max.Sending him out there to be shelled every time isn't helping his development a bit.The prospect of watching him against Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder Sunday isn't exactly making my mouth water, BTW.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #48 by dan72 » May 30th, 2013, 11:26 am

If I were an opposing batter, my strategy would be to jump on his fast ball. With only two pitches hitters can narrow down what they have to look for. Love his delivery, nice major league fastball with movement, just needs to learn pitch placement and work on secondary pitches.
He will be fine, he is running into some tough lineups early.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #49 by birdwatcher55 » May 30th, 2013, 12:05 pm

Gausman needs to develop and work on a breaking ball to reach his full potential. Kid has a great change and FB but he needs that third pitch. I wonder if Peterson comes up to the varsity for a stretch and works with him 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #50 by osforlife » May 30th, 2013, 2:28 pm

I'd like our young pitchers to almost take a year at every minor league level, like the Rays do, but management obviously has no interest in doing that. For example, look at Jeremy Hellickson's, Wade Davis', and Alex Cobb's minor league statistics. That is how I would like our young pitchers to be developed. Maybe Kevin Gausman is ready, maybe he isn't ready. We have been told young pitchers are ready before, and have been shown otherwise. I just hope he doesn't become overwhelmed, go down to the minors, and start tweaking a bunch of things. But, man he is fun to watch; a 96-98 mph fastball with life, a DIRTY change-up, and a developing slider does not come around very often.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #51 by birdwatcher55 » May 30th, 2013, 2:52 pm

Curious why DD didn't want Bundy throwing sliders last year and yet he's okay with Gausman. What's up with that??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #52 by A_K » May 30th, 2013, 3:47 pm

DD didn't let Bundy throw cutters. Sliders are fine.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #53 by Old Sneakers » May 30th, 2013, 11:38 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Curious why DD didn't want Bundy throwing sliders last year and yet he's okay with Gausman. What's up with that??? 8-)

Great article from Don Olsen (whom we've not seen much of this year unfortunately)
http://bullpenbanter.com/why-limit-a-pitchers-arsenal-specifically-a-cutter/

The coolest thing about Mr Olsen are his own thoughts on player development. I seem to recall him saying something to the effect of arbitrary decisions made for a prospect will ultimately alienate them as players/prospects running the risk of ruining them. Really wish Don here here on the board as he had been in the past. I always enjoyed his opinions and insights. I would certainly say going back and digging through Bullpen Banter articles and reading what the man has to say is worthwhile.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #54 by birdwatcher55 » May 31st, 2013, 11:21 am

A_K wrote:DD didn't let Bundy throw cutters. Sliders are fine.

Thanks..you are absolutely right 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #55 by birdwatcher55 » June 3rd, 2013, 11:31 am

Gausman was sparkling on Sunday. Very impressed. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #56 by ofahn » June 3rd, 2013, 12:55 pm

The first two innings he was at least keeping the ball down, but he wasn't trusting his stuff and his pitch count showed it. Then he must have realized that he wasn't going to make it through the fifth if he didn't stop nibbling and settled down. From that point on he was fine.

With his stuff he's only going to get hit hard if he doesn't have his command that day, and he can minimize that issue by focusing on repeating his delivery. I hope his next start he just decides from the first batter: Here it is, if you can beat my best stuff you deserve to win and goes after each and every hitter. If he does THAT we will really have something.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #57 by birdwatcher55 » June 4th, 2013, 12:15 pm

Nice story this week in Baseball America on Gausman and some interesting comments by Peterson. Very good reading!! 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #58 by Seafordeagles » June 8th, 2013, 6:53 pm

I'm not one that thinks a player needs to play at every level in the minor leagues but it's really clear to me that Gausman is not ready for the majors.

I think the Orioles lead the majors in hitting home runs and home runs allowed by our pitching staff.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #59 by birdwatcher55 » June 9th, 2013, 8:00 am

Time to pull the plug on Gausman?? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #60 by Old Sneakers » June 9th, 2013, 8:09 am

Perhaps, though my issue is monitoring innings pitched (workload). The call up was premature to begin with. He's in Baltimore now though and if you option him, who do you replace him with? Then, does he go back to AA where he belongs or do you "push" him in Norfolk?

You can never have enough SP depth. Proven once again by your Baltimore Orioles.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles