Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Chase Utley: possible target for the O's?

Re: Chase Utley: possible target for the O's?

PostPost #16 by ofahn » May 27th, 2013, 7:50 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:How about Dustin Ackley who was just sent down to AAA by the Mariners. Seattle promoted Nick Franklin (a top 100 prospect) and he's supposed to see most of his playing time at second base according to Rotowire. Ackley had an abysmal season last year hitting just .226 with a lowly .622 OPS in 668 plate appearances as well as .205 with a paltry .516 OPS in 171 PAs this year. That is no small sample size which would lead me to believe that Ackley, the former #2 overall pick in 2009, may be available for a reasonable price.

According to both defensive metrics offered on fangraphs.com Ackley is a stud defender at second and he put together a nice offensive season between AAA and the ML in 2011. I think his struggles can be partially blamed by the awful team he's been on the past year and a half. Over that time frame he's been in a god awful lineup, in an extreme pitcher's park (home/road wOBA splits are .213 for home, .255 away), and has been in an all around poor organization that has likely provided little help for his development and certainly provided a losing environment.

These reasons lead me to believe that he would be an excellent buy low option for the O's who are currently depending on Cassilla and Navarro to hold down 2B. If Ackley could be had for a reasonable price I would jump on the offer, what about you all?

Arrieta might be a fair price. One disappointment for another.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #17 by mikezpen » May 28th, 2013, 6:01 am

Right now Navarro is smokin' the ball but yeah-maybe.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #18 by birdwatcher55 » May 28th, 2013, 12:12 pm

I would not deal Arrieta without first auditioning him as a setup man 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #19 by ofahn » May 28th, 2013, 3:32 pm

mikezpen wrote:Right now Navarro is smokin' the ball but yeah-maybe.

The bat plays well, but we've already seen the glove issues. IMO he's not an everyday ML 2B.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #20 by OriolesRedskins28 » May 28th, 2013, 5:43 pm

ofahn wrote:Arrieta might be a fair price. One disappointment for another.

I think that would be a great deal for both sides not only in principal but in future results. Giving Arrieta a fresh start in a pitchers park and giving Ackley a fresh start going from a pitchers park to a hitters park and into a good lineup would be great for both parties. That being said it is extremely unlikely and I still think Arrieta can get it together with this team.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #21 by osforlife » May 30th, 2013, 2:57 pm

Although I'd love to get Dustin, it won't be easy to pry Ackley away from the Mariners. I'd say he still in considered a future piece for the Mariners, he just needs a little tweaking in the minors. Nick Franklin could become their shortstop next year, as Brendan Ryan is a free agent after this season, and the shortstop free agent market it always weak. He plays very good defense, as well as a little bit of both speed and pop in his bat. He doesn't have drastic splits against pitchers, and has hit to a .684 OPS out of SAFECO. In 2011, he posted a 3.7 WAR in 90 games. In 2012, he posted a 2.8 WAR over a full season, per baseball-reference. He was the #12 prospect in baseball just two years ago. If we got him, the O's could transition Schoop over to third and life a whole lot easier.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #22 by ofahn » May 30th, 2013, 6:13 pm

osforlife wrote:Although I'd love to get Dustin, it won't be easy to pry Ackley away from the Mariners.

At first I thought Arrieta would be fair compensation, but then I remembered that what the Mariners need is offense. Maybe they would consider Hoes. His style of hitting would be perfect for that park and Urrutia probably has made him a spare piece with us.

Ackley needs to stay in AAA and figure things out. If he has by September 1st then bring him up. Otherwise, have him work with Brady Anderson this winter and give him a shot at 2B in ST.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by birdwatcher55 » May 31st, 2013, 11:25 am

Ackley for Arrieta.. hmmm .. very interesting 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by A_K » May 31st, 2013, 12:11 pm

Ackley's an interesting player and I'd normally like to see the O's go after a player like that, but I don't understand it as a deadline move aimed at helping the O's get to the playoffs.

O's should be looking for older, currently productive veterans on the last year of their deals. There are guys out there who fit that mold who could easily help upgrade the team at 2B, DH, SP and RP, and all at little cost (both in dollars and prospects).
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #25 by ofahn » May 31st, 2013, 1:47 pm

A_K wrote: I don't understand it as a deadline move aimed at helping the O's get to the playoffs.

Neither do I. He's a reclamation project.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by birdwatcher55 » May 31st, 2013, 2:41 pm

.. reclamation projects are right up our alley (McLouth, Gonzo, Teagarden etc)...This one is worth exploring 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by A_K » May 31st, 2013, 6:18 pm

McLouth and Gonzo were free agents signed to minor league contracts for virtually nothing. Teagarden isn't good.

Trading for Ackley wouldn't be anything like any of those moves. If you like bringing him in as a reclamation project, that's fine. Makes sense. If you see him as a way to strengthen the team at the deadline to make a playoff run, it doesn't make much sense at all.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #28 by dan72 » June 2nd, 2013, 7:38 pm

While we are talking about reclamation projects, I'm suprised the Orioles did not claim Ricky Romero when Toronto placed him on waivers. He is another Jair Jurgens type, had some success a couple of years ago.......and somehow lost "it"
I know Romero is more expensive than Jurgens but if we could straighten him out, he would certainly help our cause.....

by the way Utley is a firm NO, and Ackley is a nice thought but I doubt that the Mariners part with him on the cheap. It would still be costly to aquire him.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #29 by ofahn » June 2nd, 2013, 8:38 pm

dan72 wrote:I'm suprised the Orioles did not claim Ricky Romero

The Blue Jays would have said goodbye to him on a waiver claim faster than they did to Alex Rios or Tony Batista (anyone remember him?). That contract is a train wreck at this point. Be patient. Toronto will put him on waivers again after August 1st and when he clears then they will see how much of his contract they can unload on someone.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #30 by birdwatcher55 » June 3rd, 2013, 11:26 am

I would pass on Romero. I still think Saunders could come back here at deadline 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles