Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Pull the Plug on Jim Johnson

Pull the Plug on Jim Johnson

PostPost #1 by dan72 » May 27th, 2013, 5:10 pm

I think that with 4 blown saves in the last 30 days it is time to replace JJ as the closer. My observation is that he has lost his command. I think that a closer that pitches to contact is flirting with disaster anyway. While JJ had an awesome season last year I don't see how Buck can continue to go with him in close games.
Question is who should go into the closer role?
Oday
Arrieta
Hunter
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: Pull the Plug on Jim Johnson

PostPost #2 by OriolesRedskins28 » May 27th, 2013, 5:35 pm

I think he should remain the closer. Believe me that's not what I was screaming at my TV after that disgusting performance Sunday against Toronto, but rationally I think he should keep the job unless he continues to struggle. It keeps the rest of the bullpen in their proper roles. O'day should remain the 8th inning guy which is MORE important than the closer. If there's two on and one out in the 8th inning of a one run game I want the best pitcher on the mound and that's O'day. With all that being said, one more blown 3 run leave and I'll be first in line to remove him from the role for good.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by birdwatcher55 » May 28th, 2013, 12:15 pm

I'm solidly behind Jim Johnson. All relievers have tough stretches. Look at Mr. Perfect in Tampa. He's had his woes as well. I have all the confidence in the world in JJ and my name is NOT Buck Showalter 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #4 by ofahn » May 28th, 2013, 3:39 pm

dan72 wrote:at with 4 blown saves in the last 30 days it is time to replace JJ as the closer.

Probably a little premature to make that kind of decision, but I have never believed in the closer concept. I liked Earl's philosophy of going with the hot hand and I think we should consider doing that.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by mikezpen » May 29th, 2013, 2:32 am

The Orioles burned out Greg Olsen by overwork and they're doing it to Johnson. It's not the number of innings they pitch; it's the fact that they do a lot of throwing w/o taking many days off.

If they get Johnson back, don't go running him out there 3 days in a row and 5 of 6. Let O'Day be the secondary closer.
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » May 29th, 2013, 2:36 pm

JJ will be fine. I don't get all this panic on the board over a few blown saves 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Old Sneakers » May 29th, 2013, 2:38 pm

mikezpen wrote:The Orioles burned out Greg Olsen by overwork and they're doing it to Johnson. It's not the number of innings they pitch; it's the fact that they do a lot of throwing w/o taking many days off.

If they get Johnson back, don't go running him out there 3 days in a row and 5 of 6. Let O'Day be the secondary closer.

Jim Johnson unlike Greg Olson was seen as a potential starter. Johnson's move to the pen and eventual position as a closer was more because in short stints he could get a quick ground ball or two and the occasional strike out. Olson was always going to be either a set up guy or closer. He was never seen as a big durable innings eater. Olson's health ultimately put an end to his career. However, you have to remember few closers are really durable for the long haul. Most flame out quickly.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #8 by birdwatcher55 » May 29th, 2013, 2:46 pm

I don't think that is the case here with Johnson. He's been a closer less than two years. I would say he is far from burned out if that is what you are getting at.. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 29th, 2013, 10:26 pm

Johnson's fine. Every now and then he's going to have some bad outings because he doesn't K a ton of batters. BABIP will get you every once and a while.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #10 by mikezpen » May 30th, 2013, 11:00 am

I think Olson's health was bad because he got run out there too often.And after last year and the early stages of this when he was used a heck of a lot, I think Johnson was fried a bit. Also, his stuff was slipping (or so I read somewhere).

What I w/do is use O'Day as a second closer-maybe when you have a 3-run lead anyway.I'd use him to close tonite in fact.Take some of the load off Johnson.The back end of the Orioles' bullpen has to be strong or they're finished as a contender.
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

PostPost #11 by A_K » May 30th, 2013, 3:50 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Johnson's fine. Every now and then he's going to have some bad outings because he doesn't K a ton of batters. BABIP will get you every once and a while.

Bingo.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #12 by osforlife » May 31st, 2013, 2:44 pm

Whether or not you believe Jim Johnson should stay the closer or not, or whether the closer role is the most important in the bullpen, a little regression was expected. You don't save 51/54 games and not come back to earth. He's good, but he's nothing special. Trading him would have been the best course of plan. Darren O'Day is the best relief pitcher on the Orioles and has been since the start of the 2012 season.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #13 by birdwatcher55 » May 31st, 2013, 2:44 pm

Johnson's stuff is slipping?? That is a joke! He has been inconsistent of late but when he's on, he's filthy. I don't see a guy ready for the scrap pile 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by dan72 » July 6th, 2013, 7:52 pm

The all star brake can't come soon enough for Jim Johnson. Jim has appeared in 43 games tied for 4th most. I think some of the issues maybe fatigue related. Some nights he is spot on while other nights he just doesn't have it.
Johnson now has 6 blown saves, and with 7 loses this year, that is more loses than his previous 3 seasons combined..... I have a feeling the team that gets the 2 wild card spots will be decided by a game or two. You see where I am going with this. It looks like Buck is going to stick with JJ at least for now, so how many more saves does he get to blow before we cast him off like we did Kevin Gregg... Who by the way is having a nice season for the Cubs.
Last nights loss may have been his worst. I think after the first two batters got on base, we all knew how that thing was going to end up.
Dumpsterfire...... It will be time to pull the plug soon if he doesn't get it together.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #15 by osforlife » July 6th, 2013, 8:32 pm

This isn't very surprising at all. Jim Johnson is really not that good. He is an average-to-above average relief pitcher, nothing more. One had to expect major regression.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles