Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Someone talk me off the ledge....

Re: Someone talk me off the ledge....

PostPost #16 by Rising O's » May 30th, 2013, 10:14 am

Its a perception thing. Because the Orioles shut down opponents late in the game, there were no "oh my god" emotional plunges to endure. Its something we have to get used to again.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #17 by Rising O's » May 30th, 2013, 10:18 am

Wrote 2014, should have written 2015, before you decide to jump off a ledge. The Orioles have time, could be very good next year if Gausman is ready and Bundy is ready by mid-year.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #18 by birdwatcher55 » May 30th, 2013, 12:09 pm

This is a very solid team - outstanding 1-6 hitters - and virtual airtight defense. I would not waste this year and look to 2014. I would look to move some prospects for a TOR guy. The future is NOW 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #19 by A_K » May 30th, 2013, 12:34 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:This is a very solid team - outstanding 1-6 hitters - and virtual airtight defense. I would not waste this year and look to 2014. I would look to move some prospects for a TOR guy. The future is NOW 8-)

I actually mostly agree with you. Machado's and Davis' emergence give this team legitimate reason to see itself as a playoff team. I don't think we have enough prospects to get a legitimate TOR pitcher, but given the circumstances I think Duquette should generally look to improve the roster with some combination of a starting pitcher, designated hitter and second baseman.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #20 by ofahn » May 30th, 2013, 12:50 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:This is a very solid team - outstanding 1-6 hitters - and virtual airtight defense. I would not waste this year and look to 2014. I would look to move some prospects for a TOR guy. The future is NOW 8-)

So, let me get this straight. Despite the fact that we have no clear successors at two IF positions, inconsistent SP with no clear solution this year, the pending departure of one of our best SPs this winter with no proven successors, and virtually nothing in the upper farm system for depth you think the future is NOW. Interesting.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #21 by birdwatcher55 » May 30th, 2013, 12:55 pm

I'm starting to think we will have to eat money in lieu of prospects if we are to get a solid TOR guy 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by ofahn » May 30th, 2013, 12:59 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I'm starting to think we will have to eat money in lieu of prospects if we are to get a solid TOR guy 8-)

OK. Which TOR SP with a bad contract do you see being available?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by birdwatcher55 » May 30th, 2013, 1:01 pm

I don't know.. you will have to check with Dan. He runs the ballclub 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by Seafordeagles » May 30th, 2013, 1:37 pm

Cliff Lee will become available. That's already been reported. With his age (he'll be 35 in august) and high dollar salary the Phillies would probably do a salary dump and not require high end prospects in return. Angelos has already said he will take on more salary for a playoff run.

The Phillies will trade him and Papelbon if they see they won't make the playoffs this year.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #25 by ofahn » May 30th, 2013, 2:08 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I don't know.. you will have to check with Dan. He runs the ballclub 8-)

OK, so you must have been thinking about at least one TOR SP when you posted you "think we will have to eat money in lieu of prospects if we are to get a solid TOR guy". Which one was it?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by ofahn » May 30th, 2013, 2:13 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Cliff Lee will become available. That's already been reported.

It's also been reported on multiple occasions on MLB Trade Rumors that they won't trade him.

Seafordeagles wrote:With his age (he'll be 35 in august) and high dollar salary the Phillies would probably do a salary dump and not require high end prospects in return. Angelos has already said he will take on more salary for a playoff run.

I'm not so sure of that. The Phillies had the chance to dump his entire salary on the Dodgers last year and decided not to. I could see them making him available this July if they think they can get a pile of prospects for him, but if they don't get what they think is fair by eating a bunch of money they may just put him on waivers again in August and tell some team to take his entire salary.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by birdwatcher55 » May 30th, 2013, 2:53 pm

I don't see Lee coming here. He would be very co$tly.. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles