Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Someone talk me off the ledge....

Someone talk me off the ledge....

PostPost #1 by docjj » May 29th, 2013, 10:39 am

Ugh...What a bad year. Johnson and Strop haven't been anywhere near as effective as last year. We still don't have a DH or second baseman. Wieters still can't put together a sustained offensive game. The rotation is a mess. Our best prospects- Delmonico, Schoop and Bundy are all hurt....

I'm heading out on to the ledge...
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: Someone talk me off the ledge....

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » May 29th, 2013, 11:03 am

To docjj:

This is why every year we bug the daylights out of the front office to be aggressive and wise in the draft and international signings. It's why we go ape $h*t when a prospect is rushed. It's why we temper our expectations with reality.

The team is simply going to have to realize this is not a perennial contender until it amasses a larger amount of young talent that is pushing it's way into Baltimore instead of being hurried out of desperation.

Jim Johnson isn't this bad. However, I really do not think he's going to have a long run as the team's closer. Few closers do. As for Strop yeah well, what can you say? Second Base and the rotation are frustrating to say the least. Patience grasshopper.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #3 by ofahn » May 29th, 2013, 11:25 am

Old Sneakers wrote:The team is simply going to have to realize this is not a perennial contender until it amasses a larger amount of young talent that is pushing it's way into Baltimore instead of being hurried out of desperation.

VERY...WELL...SAID. POINTS!

DocJJ; I feel your pain, but I wonder how you allowed yourself to believe that this might be a playoff or better team. EVERYTHING went right last year, and you honestly can't expect that every year. Some things have gone right this year but others have not. The offense is getting better, but it doesn't know how to manufacture runs with consistency. IMO the three most important skills for any team to be a consistent winner are in the order of importance:

Pitching
Defense
The ability to manufacture runs

I see the pitching as less than I expected and the defense as better; however, we came into the season with a big question mark about manufacturing runs and it's still there.

What may be the best course of action for this team is another trade like we made with the Yankees in 1976. We moved important pieces from a team that had shaky playoff hopes in order to build a consistent winner. Within two years we came within one game of a WS title and four years later we did. The three years in between would have have been good enough for a wildcard spot in today's game.

Trading guys like Hardy and Jim Johnson in order to build a perennial winner may be the best thing we could do this year. Restocking the farm system and becoming more aggressive in the international market MAY allow us to build a farm system like the Rangers or Cardinals. How many post seasons have THOSE teams been in recently?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » May 29th, 2013, 2:32 pm

JUMP!!!!! .. Seriously I would not worry too much. This is still a very good team. Our best prospects will get better. Bundy is supposedly pain free now. JJ will rebound. The sky is NOT falling. DD will make the necessary moves to keep us in playoff contention. Book it 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by ofahn » May 29th, 2013, 2:37 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:DD will make the necessary moves to keep us in playoff contention.

As long as that doesn't cost us our future..............
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » May 29th, 2013, 2:54 pm

If you are a legitimate contender and you have the chance to make a deal that puts you over the top, you need to consider ALL options when a World Series is at stake because those opportunities don't come along every year 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #7 by ofahn » May 29th, 2013, 3:01 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:If you are a legitimate contender

...and there's where we differ in opinion.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by LA Detective » May 29th, 2013, 3:47 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Seriously I would not worry too much. This is still a very good team. Our best prospects will get better. Bundy is supposedly pain free now. JJ will rebound. The sky is NOT falling. DD will make the necessary moves to keep us in playoff contention. Book it 8-)

I believe we are contenders. We are in so much better shape than we were last yr at this time even though we had a better record. Are we front runners no but, I do believe that DD/Buck will make the right moves for us to make it and not handcuff us for the future.

We have great D...

We still have a very good Pen but it will need some tweaking which I am confident will be done as we head to the 2nd half.

Offensively..yes we have missed some opportunites but I think this has more to do with guys toward our bottom of the line up batting so poorly. I do believe we will go get a DH for the 2nd half that will not break us for the future. It doesn't have to be a Butler type but someone that can produce near the middle of the order. There will be some names available. We do so and we can compete with any team here.

For me its all the starting pitching. I do think DD/Buck will find the right Five combination even if it is going outside the organization. But if someone doesnt step up and join Hammel and Chen and sometimes Gonzo in the top two or three we probably wont make it. a trade for a #2 type without hurting our furture isnt impossible but is doubtfull. Fine line here between real contenders and falling just short. It lies in our SP
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #9 by ofahn » May 29th, 2013, 3:52 pm

LA Detective wrote: a trade for a #2 type without hurting our furture isnt impossible but is doubtful

I respect your optimism, but I'm curious as to which #2 SP you think might be available without costing us any of our best prospects.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by LA Detective » May 29th, 2013, 4:23 pm

I really dont think there is one. That is why I think it will be near impossible to do without putting us in a bad contract or giving up someone we regret...Could there be a Hammel type that Buck/DD and staff see that I don't? I didn't see the Hammel deal before hand in the first place. Maybe there is one out there but again, I am with you. I just don't see it.

And as far as someone in the organization doing this it looks thin too. Asking way too much of Gausman right now and as each day passes Arrieta or Britton or anyone else stepping up is doubtful.

My optimism comes from trusting in DD/Buck and the staff which has turned us around very quick and seem to pull the right buttons. They can only do so much though. We are close but this is such a big piece that we could end the year in frustration.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #11 by Seafordeagles » May 29th, 2013, 6:33 pm

LA Detective wrote:For me its all the starting pitching. I do think DD/Buck will find the right Five combination even if it is going outside the organization. But if someone doesnt step up and join Hammel and Chen and sometimes Gonzo in the top two or three we probably wont make it. a trade for a #2 type without hurting our furture isnt impossible but is doubtfull. Fine line here between real contenders and falling just short. It lies in our SP

This omission of Chris Tillman by you really baffles me. Last year his E.R.A was 2.93 and this year he has the 2nd best e.r.a. (3.68) of all the Orioles starters. The really good thing about Tillman is that he is only 25 years old. Chris has STEPPED UP his game the last 2 years, and his "quality starts" is very good. I also realize he gave up a home run in the 1st inning tonight.

Maybe Hammel needs to step up like Tillman and Chen.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #12 by Seafordeagles » May 29th, 2013, 7:39 pm

Wow, here I try to build up Tillman and he tanks tonight's game. My bad, it won't happen again..........
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #13 by Rising O's » May 29th, 2013, 7:45 pm

Offensively the Orioles will be entertaining for until at least until the 2015 season. Wait until the middle of that year before jumping.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #14 by Rising O's » May 29th, 2013, 8:28 pm

Like I said, an exciting offense
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #15 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 29th, 2013, 10:31 pm

I don't understand all of the panic. The Orioles are 2.5 games out of first place, and have an outstanding offense. The pitching hasn't been great, but Chen will be back soon, Hammel seems to be better, Tillman is decent, Gonzalez is solid, and Gausman should perform soon. Machado is insane. Davis is a top 5 hitter in the league.

There are still 109 games left and the Orioles are 2.5 games out. That's nothing, and they'd be in first if not for a few Johnson blown saves.

I have no idea how anyone can call this a bad year.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles