Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

What is your main concern about this season so far?

What is your main concern about this season so far?

PostPost #1 by Dons0's » May 23rd, 2013, 11:06 pm

Hey all, before I get started I'm new to the site and like to say hello.

Now, I know I'm not feeling as comfortable this season as I was last season with how things are going. I think the O's are just going through a funk right now. The lack of production and starting pitching has been well below par from last season. The young arms we hoped for this season and seasons to come have come up short on the expectations that us fans had for them, Matusz/Arietta/Bergeson/Patton. Yes, they are doing well coming out of the pen, but I think the organization had higher hopes of them being the starters for the future which is now.

Not trying to play Buck here. I think the lineup needs shaken up a little. The best hitter should be hitting 3rd in the lineup, Machado should be in that spot. The lack of walks and strikeouts from Jones isn't getting the job done. He is a good hitter but not in key situations.

Lineup in my opinion.

1. Mclouth
2. Jones
3. Machado
4. Davis
5. Markakis
6. Weiters
7. Hardy
8. Valencia/Navvaro
9. Dickerson

Back to pitching. The concern I have is if Gausman or Bundy do not pan out, that means the only pitcher we have that was capable of keeping a starting job was Tillman. If that happens, which I hope doesn't. Does that mean we go back to signing washed up vets? The Millwoods of the world who just eat innings? I hope not.

By any means, there is no right or wrong answer for this. This is just what your concern is with the club. Id like to see a package deal for Garza, even though it wont happen.
Dons0's
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: What is your main concern about this season so far?

PostPost #2 by birdwatcher55 » May 24th, 2013, 11:33 am

No 1 concern right now: STROP!!! :x
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #3 by Dons0's » May 24th, 2013, 11:42 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:No 1 concern right now: STROP!!! :x

That's the one thing that is different from last season. JJ was lights out in closing situations, and the bullpen was money. I know it is still only May, but if the pen doesn't come around to last years form and the starting pitching continues to struggle going deep into games, you can kiss the playoffs goodbye.

What the heck is going on with Weiters offensively also?
Dons0's
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by A_K » May 24th, 2013, 11:45 am

Designated hitter.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #5 by osforlife » May 24th, 2013, 3:14 pm

DH, 2B, and the back end of the starting rotation have been atrocious.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #6 by Dons0's » May 24th, 2013, 3:39 pm

Anyone else concerned about Weiters bat this season?? His defense is outstanding, just seems that his offense has plateaued instead of improving. I think Matt is spending a lot of energy with the pitching staff that should have been up to par right now.
Dons0's
DSL Orioles

PostPost #7 by ofahn » May 24th, 2013, 4:10 pm

Dons0's wrote:Hey all, before I get started I'm new to the site and like to say hello.

Welcome. Please share your views and observations with us.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 25th, 2013, 8:27 pm

Dons0's wrote:Anyone else concerned about Weiters bat this season?? His defense is outstanding, just seems that his offense has plateaued instead of improving. I think Matt is spending a lot of energy with the pitching staff that should have been up to par right now.

Solid article on this topic: http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/matt-w ... just-fine/
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #9 by OriolesRedskins28 » May 25th, 2013, 11:25 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Solid article on this topic: http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/matt-w ... just-fine/

I was beginning to get concerned but after reading that article I feel a little better. It's seemed to me that Wieters has been fairly streaky over the past year or two so he may be due for a hot streak.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #10 by LA Detective » May 27th, 2013, 5:47 pm

Wieters needs to stay in the 6th spot to protect CDavis. No matter what his average I think teams will be less likely to pass on Davis with Wieters behind him. He will be fine. I still believe he will end up over .260 and 25+ HRs

Starting Pitching is the main concern. Some pieces are starting to come together but the fact that Arrieta, Britton or SJohnson have not made a step forward is for me the biggest disappointment thus far in the year.

The pen has shown some holes and some tiredness, but I think they will right the ship as the season moves on. I think there might even be 2 or 3 suprise additions (Wada, Arrieta, a trade?) in the future.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #11 by mikezpen » May 28th, 2013, 6:09 am

Johnson's my main concern. If he tanks, the team tanks.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

PostPost #12 by birdwatcher55 » May 28th, 2013, 12:07 pm

Sign Machado long term and DO IT NOW!!! 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by birdwatcher55 » May 28th, 2013, 12:07 pm

Jim Johnson is going to be fine!! He is a great reliever 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by ofahn » May 28th, 2013, 3:37 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Sign Machado long term and DO IT NOW!!! 8-)

Don't you think Machado and his agent have some small say in that process? IMO the only way he would consider signing beyond his arbitration years would be a contract like Tulowitski or Gonzales got from Colorado. Can anyone see Angelos agreeing to that kind of deal?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #15 by birdwatcher55 » May 29th, 2013, 2:37 pm

The longer you wait, the more expensive this kid gets. It's really that simple. Step up DD and and let's get this done 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles