Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

need pitching now

Re: need pitching now

PostPost #16 by dan72 » May 24th, 2013, 11:15 pm

Still without an ace, how far do you think this or any team can go? In a short series, who do we have that we can ride? No Sabathia, verlander, price, king felix here. Huge disadvantage throughout the season but even more apparent in the playoffs.
I'm hoping that all of our pitchers get on track and Gausman gives us the shot in the arm we need. We will see how it plays out.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #17 by ofahn » May 25th, 2013, 6:28 am

dan72 wrote:Still without an ace, how far do you think this or any team can go?

You make a valid point, but (1) where do you suggest we get an ace and; (2) what makes you think that fixing just one problem will solve our other needs?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #18 by thezeroes » May 25th, 2013, 9:46 pm

The two headed question that seems to go unanswered by all of those that want an "ACE" pitcher is what qualifies a pitcher as an "ACE and how many of these are in the Majors at this point in time???

Verlander, King Felix, CC Sabathia, David Price all are deemed "ACES". After that the playing field of "ACES" seems to tail off. Potential "ACES" are all over the map on various teams because of a better than baseline start to their respective seasons. Other aged veterans are losing their elite status because of wear and tear and the age factor.

Shipping out pieces of the forty man and MiLB rosters to get one of theses "ACE" pitchers for a 12 to 15 game of potential starts for a high dollar amount seems to be a total waste.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #19 by OriolesRedskins28 » May 25th, 2013, 11:15 pm

thezeroes wrote:The two headed question that seems to go unanswered by all of those that want an "ACE" pitcher is what qualifies a pitcher as an "ACE and how many of these are in the Majors at this point in time???

Verlander, King Felix, CC Sabathia, David Price all are deemed "ACES". After that the playing field of "ACES" seems to tail off. Potential "ACES" are all over the map on various teams because of a better than baseline start to their respective seasons. Other aged veterans are losing their elite status because of wear and tear and the age factor.

Shipping out pieces of the forty man and MiLB rosters to get one of theses "ACE" pitchers for a 12 to 15 game of potential starts for a high dollar amount seems to be a total waste.

Well said! What we want is more consistency all around from the current group. Sure a 5 game series is a short series but it's still best of 5.

Moving along deeper into the season I would like to see Hammel smooth things out a bit (not expecting him to revert to last year's form but if he can give consistent innings with an ERA around 4 that's good enough for me), Chen get healthy, Gonzalez round into form now that his blister is gone, Tillman continue to become more consistent as he gets more experience, Arrieta to get it together, Britton to get it together, Gausman to grow and prosper in the ML, S Johnson to pitch to his capabilities, and dare I say Bundy get healthy and advance to the point where he can contribute if need be (if not the rotation, in the bullpen).

If 3-5 of those scenarios take place (all of which are perfectly reasonable) then I'll be feeling good about the rotation.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #20 by osforlife » May 26th, 2013, 8:50 am

Just for fun, I'd say the sure cut aces in MLB are...
Jered Weaver, Adam Wainwright, Clayton Kershaw, Felix Hernandez, Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, David Price, Justin Verlander, CC Sabathia. I'd say there are on the bubble guys like Stephen Strasburg, Gio Gonzalez, Jordan Zimmerman, Madison Bumgarner, Yu Darvish, Johnny Cueto, and Chris Sale.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #21 by dan72 » May 27th, 2013, 4:33 pm

Just for fun I would add the following to the list of aces and guys on the bubble of being an ace: Shields, Moore, Holland, Harvey, Latos, Corbin, Minor, S.Miller, Bailey.......

In a short series currently we would run out there Hammel, Chen, Gausman would be my guess. How does that stack up against Tampa, NY, Boston, Texas, Oakland, Detroit, Cleveland?
dan72
GCL Orioles

PostPost #22 by LA Detective » May 27th, 2013, 5:36 pm

Add Gonzo to the 3.

I still believe Hammel will pitch like a second tier Ace.

We're asking alot of Gausman to be so good so soon. It wouldn't be a shocker to see him deliver.
If he doesn't we will probably need a #2 type starter to go deep in the playoffs. I am not sure if obtaining one that wont hurt us for the future will be possible.

We wont have a dominating #1 like a CC or Verlander that is an automatic 2 wins in a series but we could possibly have enough to keep us in a series. Too early to tell. Alot can happen.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #23 by birdwatcher55 » May 28th, 2013, 12:13 pm

We're not going to get a TOR type guy without giving up a ton in prospects 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #24 by ofahn » May 28th, 2013, 3:31 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:We're not going to get a TOR type guy without giving up a ton in prospects 8-)

...which, of course, we DON'T have.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #25 by dan72 » June 1st, 2013, 7:17 pm

Hammel looked great today (sarcasm)
I am real curious what the asking price would be for Cliff Lee, at least he matches up with Sabathia and some of the other aces we will see. I honestly think that our pitching is the weak link by a wide margin over 2b and dh.
I do have a feeling that DD will get an arm in here, most likely a releiver, should we stay in contention. I have seen some press that links the Orioles to Bud Norris as well.
Today was just a glaring reminder of how inconsistant Hammel can be......
dan72
GCL Orioles

PostPost #26 by birdwatcher55 » June 3rd, 2013, 11:30 am

Hammel had a bad day. I have faith in him. Lee is going to be terribly expensive. I would love Shields but the Royals can pick up his option next year for $12mil so I don't think that is going to help us. I'm starting to think Saunders might come back here 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles