Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles are calling up Kevin Gausman

Re: Orioles are calling up Kevin Gausman

PostPost #31 by OriolesRedskins28 » May 23rd, 2013, 3:57 pm

A_K wrote:
Again it's worth noting that this is the view of apprehensive fans, not of the professional talent evaluators who have scouted him. The publicly available opinions of the latter group universally hold that he is currently ready to pitch in the majors and isn't being rushed at all.

YES!!! Exactly!

RE Gausman's efficiency: Without even taking into account for the fact that he's been pitching in front of a AA defense, his pitches per inning come in at around 15.5/inning. That number is more efficient than Matt Cain, Madison Bumgarner, and Stephen Strasburg have been so far this year. The reason he hasn't gotten that deep into games has been by design, the O's have limited his pitch counts and innings (which I believe was an intelligent decision that will allow him to pitch deeper into the season).

My favorite quote from the previously mentioned fangraphs article:

"He worked both sides of the plate with easy and showed no restraint when throwing inside. When he misses his spot, he misses down in the strike zone. For most minor league strikeout artists, their swing and misses are a product of good stuff and inducing swings on pitches outside the zone. Gausman, however, attacks hitters. He pounds the lower half of the zone with his fastball and his strikeouts are the product of getting a head of hitters and complementing his fastball with two lethal secondary offerings."

He is NOT another Briant Matusz, Chris Tillman, or Jake Arrieta. I definitely remember Brian Matusz's dominance of the minors in his first pro season but I would imagine that had a lot to do with inexperienced hitters chasing pitches out of the zone. According to that quote Gausman is pitching in a way that will translate well to the major leagues: pitching down in the zone, to both sides of the plate (not to mention his dominant stuff).

I understand everyone's concern but I don't share it. Times are different now, I trust the Orioles coaches and development staff to have brought him along well so far and to help him continue to improve moving forward.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #32 by Seafordeagles » May 23rd, 2013, 4:00 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:He is NOT another Briant Matusz, Chris Tillman, or Jake Arrieta. I definitely remember Brian Matusz's dominance of the minors in his first pro season but I would imagine that had a lot to do with inexperienced hitters chasing pitches out of the zone. According to that quote Gausman is pitching in a way that will translate well to the major leagues: pitching down in the zone, to both sides of the plate (not to mention his dominant stuff).

I understand everyone's concern but I don't share it. Times are different now, I trust the Orioles coaches and development staff to have brought him along well so far and to help him continue to improve moving forward.

Nice post, thanks for the insight.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #33 by ofahn » May 23rd, 2013, 6:14 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:most of us were wrong to think the team had done enough in the off season

I thought they had done what they could with what was available at reasonable cost.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #34 by OriolesRedskins28 » May 23rd, 2013, 8:20 pm

ofahn wrote:
I thought they had done what they could with what was available at reasonable cost.

Agreed.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #35 by birdwatcher55 » May 24th, 2013, 11:36 am

Putting a rookie making his MLB debut in Toronto against a hard hitting lineup is a very tough assignment. I thought he held his own, despite lousy umpiring and 90 pitches/5 innings. Needs to get that pitch count down or he will be back in minors soon 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #36 by A_K » May 24th, 2013, 11:44 am

Filthy stuff that kid's got.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #37 by birdwatcher55 » May 28th, 2013, 12:16 pm

Gausman tonight??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #38 by Old Sneakers » May 28th, 2013, 8:40 pm

You fellas done yet?
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #39 by OriolesRedskins28 » May 28th, 2013, 9:18 pm

I still believe that every indication from both descriptions from scouts and his numbers at AA screamed that he was ready for the majors. Every indication so far from his first two ML starts however have screamed that he's not ready. Inconsistent command/control and a jeckyl and hyde slider seem like things he could have used more time in the minors to work on. He shows flashes of brilliance dotting the corners with mid 90s fastballs, a sometimes filthy changeup, and a sometimes filthy slider but the lack of consistency so far has been alarming.

It is only two starts though and I would love for him to step up to the plate against one of the best lineups in baseball in Detroit in his next start.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #40 by mikezpen » May 29th, 2013, 2:24 am

The kid cannot locate the ball consistently. If you can't, they'll light you up regardless of how good your stuff is. In college, location doesn't matter so much when you can throw 97.Gausman's entire minor league career consisted of 61.1 innings, and that simply wasn't enough time. Send him down to Bowie or Norfolk, and give him a chance to learn his trade w/o all the pressure of Major League ball.
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

PostPost #41 by Old Sneakers » May 29th, 2013, 2:42 pm

Guy's. Seriously, Gausman is not done as a starter anytime soon. He does however have things to work on in the minor leagues. Like Command/Control/Consistency.

I keep reading "Professional talent evaluators" with the tag "Ready now" Can anyone post a few articles where a "Professional talent evaluator" is actually quoted? I will bet you we won't see one valid article. Want to know why? It doesn't exist. This is once again the great hype machine at work.

He may well be a phenomenal talent. However, he's not a finished product. This is what AA and AAA are for.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #42 by birdwatcher55 » May 29th, 2013, 2:43 pm

I'd like to see him get two more starts before I think about sending him down. He knows what he needs to work on and so do the Orioles. Let's see what plays out. He does show a lot of upside in stretches. On the job training might not be the worst thing in the world for him right now. Just my two cents 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #43 by LA Detective » May 29th, 2013, 3:53 pm

I am glad he is getting another start. He may need to go down eventually but he might just have the talent and mindset to learn how to get major league hitters out while in the major leagues. Few can do it this way be he seems to be rare in alot of ways.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #44 by ofahn » May 29th, 2013, 4:00 pm

LA Detective wrote: He may need to go down eventually but he might just have the talent and mindset to learn how to get major league hitters out while in the major leagues.

First, he needs to learn how to get through a ML lineup at least twice.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #45 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 29th, 2013, 10:28 pm

If you check Gausman's game log, he's struggled in his first few starts at each level. AA to the majors is a big jump, and it's unrealistic to expect Gausman to post his Bowie numbers in Baltimore.

Give him some time and he will be fine. You guys have all seen the stuff. He just needs time to adjust.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles