Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles are calling up Kevin Gausman

Re: Orioles are calling up Kevin Gausman

PostPost #16 by ofahn » May 22nd, 2013, 2:54 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:There is little Kevin Gausman can learn by remaining in the minor leagues.

Except how to go from getting through an inning in about 13 pitches instead of 17 or so. That's the difference between laboring through the six and pitching into the eighth.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #17 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 22nd, 2013, 3:38 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Let's face it. The Orioles have been starting a lot of reclamation projects. Gausman is so much more.

Yup. He's ready and has some outstanding stuff. He's super fun to watch, too. I've already made sure I can watch tomorrow night.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #18 by Seafordeagles » May 22nd, 2013, 3:53 pm

ofahn wrote:
Except how to go from getting through an inning in about 13 pitches instead of 17 or so. That's the difference between laboring through the six and pitching into the eighth.

Sounds like that's what your typical major league pitcher does. Especially the Orioles starters.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #19 by dan72 » May 22nd, 2013, 4:55 pm

Like i said in another post, we need pitching now. I was hoping it would come in trade though. It sucks loosing years of service time in needing Gausman now. Thats the spot you put your self in as an organization when you do nothing in the off season to address the need for pitching. There are several teams that have bolstered their pitching through trade and free agency and now they are either serious contenders or division leaders.
Drafting arms is a VERY long process. Best case scenario, you get a college kid that is very advanced and he gets to the big leagues in 1 year (Gausman) otherwise you are looking at 2+ years before they help your mlb team.
For the team it does look a bit desperate.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #20 by ofahn » May 22nd, 2013, 5:04 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Sounds like that's what your typical major league pitcher does.

Fair enough, IF you're talking about a #3 or #4 SP; but Gausman is supposed to be a potential #1 or #2. Those guys are expected to get into the eighth with regularity.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by ofahn » May 22nd, 2013, 5:07 pm

dan72 wrote:Thats the spot you put your self in as an organization when you do nothing in the off season to address the need for pitching.

I won't criticize them for their relative inactivity this off season because (1) there really wasn't much available at a reasonable price to go after and; (2) they wanted to see what they had from Britton, Tillman, Arrieta, etc. Frankly, I think they handled this off season very sensibly.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by Seafordeagles » May 22nd, 2013, 6:20 pm

ofahn wrote:

Not one pitcher in the major league baseball averaged 13 pitches or less per inning in 2012. Here's the list for major league baseball for 2012:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitching/_ ... rder/false
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #23 by Rising O's » May 22nd, 2013, 8:44 pm

I'll be home to watch this game. I just hope I can find a stream. :)
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #24 by ofahn » May 22nd, 2013, 9:33 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Not one pitcher in the major league baseball averaged 13 pitches or less per inning in 2012.

...and probably none will this year either; however, #1 and #2 SPs are expected to be dominant and when they are they usually go at least eight innings. THOSE games you'll see them getting to that point on about 100 nor so pitches.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #25 by Old Sneakers » May 23rd, 2013, 9:08 am

The real issue here is that Gausman is being rushed. Just like Brian Matusz was. Maybe he fairs better for a longer stretch than Matusz. Maybe not. I just hate to see service time blown to mismanagement or ownership's age (or whims) being a factor.

The team had really good looking depth at the start of the season and that depth has apparently evaporated. Obviously most of us were wrong to think the team had done enough in the off season. Clearly an older if unspectacular arm that has proven durable even at a high price would have been the way to go.

To me this means Jake Arrieta is traded at the deadline and if the team is smart Matusz is also on the block. Neither of these guys managed to hold up for any length of time at the back end of the rotation. While LHSP is hard to get and develop LH relievers are not. But honestly, I would have preferred Arrieta taking his lumps until he figures it out (if ever). If the issue of an over used bullpen is the issue, then someone has to develop "Shoulder Soreness" and go on the 7-Day disabled list while the team purchases the contract of a minor league player. Why not give someone a brief stint with very little hope for a long lasting ML career?
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #26 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 23rd, 2013, 10:09 am

Rising O's wrote:I'll be home to watch this game. I just hope I can find a stream. :)

If you need, inbox me and you can borrow my MLB.TV subscription for the night.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #27 by birdwatcher55 » May 23rd, 2013, 12:10 pm

I'm praying our bats explode tonight and we get six solid innings from Gausman, before we turn it over for mop up duties 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #28 by LA Detective » May 23rd, 2013, 1:06 pm

Because his control appears to be very good his pitch efficiancy might actually improve at the big league level. I am sure that alot of pitches he threw to AA hitters just ended up as strikes and they didnt get a piece of him. Those same pithes might be made with contact at the big league level resulting in 2 or 3 pitch outs instead of 5 or 6 pitch strikeouts.

I do think he is a special talent. That FB/Change split in speed he has is top notch. They must feel he has improved the slider enough to pitch it at the ML level.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #29 by Seafordeagles » May 23rd, 2013, 2:45 pm

LA Detective wrote:Because his control appears to be very good his pitch efficiancy might actually improve at the big league level. I am sure that alot of pitches he threw to AA hitters just ended up as strikes and they didnt get a piece of him. Those same pithes might be made with contact at the big league level resulting in 2 or 3 pitch outs instead of 5 or 6 pitch strikeouts.

I do think he is a special talent. That FB/Change split in speed he has is top notch. They must feel he has improved the slider enough to pitch it at the ML level.

Here's a scouts take that was on MASN:

"His slider was great," the scout said. "Consistently sharper. There were times when it was a plus-plus pitch. Guys were swinging and missing. It was better than what I saw in spring training. He had a great changeup and fastball, and his breaking ball was just there. But that wasn't the case this time. It's come a long way in a very short amount of time. It can be a third plus-plus pitch for him."

Here's the link for the whole story:

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... usman.html
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #30 by A_K » May 23rd, 2013, 3:01 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:The real issue here is that Gausman is being rushed.

Again it's worth noting that this is the view of apprehensive fans, not of the professional talent evaluators who have scouted him. The publicly available opinions of the latter group universally hold that he is currently ready to pitch in the majors and isn't being rushed at all.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles