Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles are calling up Kevin Gausman

Orioles are calling up Kevin Gausman

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 21st, 2013, 10:09 pm

Sources: Orioles are calling up Kevin Gausman.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/337037726182424576
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Orioles are calling up Kevin Gausman

PostPost #2 by Rising O's » May 21st, 2013, 11:47 pm

Good luck Kevin.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #3 by mikezpen » May 22nd, 2013, 12:27 am

The organization hasn't produced a really good pitcher once since Mike Mussina, and they continue to rush their kid pitchers up here.
I don't like the move, but I guess they have no choice if they want to try and stay in the hunt.Arrieta, Jurrjens, Matusz, Johnson and Britton have all failed them.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #4 by Old Sneakers » May 22nd, 2013, 5:36 am

mikezpen wrote:The organization hasn't produced a really good pitcher once since Mike Mussina, and they continue to rush their kid pitchers up here.
I don't like the move, but I guess they have no choice if they want to try and stay in the hunt.Arrieta, Jurrjens, Matusz, Johnson and Britton have all failed them.

I have to agree with this 100%

However, Kevin Gausmann still has a bright future ahead of him and I would like for him to have the best success he can and learn he has a MLB future. I just do not want him shuttling back and fourth to and from the minor leagues.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #5 by ofahn » May 22nd, 2013, 9:55 am

Why NOW?

This has all the appearances of an ill advised act of desperation. Gausman is pitching reasonably well at AA, but he's not yet very efficient with his pitches, and IT'S AA. In his last outing he struck out 10 in six innings, but he threw too many pitches to go any farther. This profile is virtually identical to Tillman and Arrieta at that level. Tillman is out of options now, and still hasn't learned how to pitch into the eighth with regularity; and I don't think I need to review Arrieta's record. For proper development purposes alone I wouldn't bring up Gausman until he can consistently get into the eighth AT AAA.

Then we get into the issue of service time. Bringing him up now requires us to place him on the 40 man roster and start his options. We had the advantage of signing him to a minor league contract last year which put off that requirement for three more years, but we've now lost that advantage. If you think that's no big deal then consider the dilemma we may face with Dylan Bundy. Drafted and signed to a ML contract in 2011 we've already used two options on him. If his arm problems cause him to lose a full season or so we may be placed in a situation where he has to complete his recovery on a 25 man roster AND cause his conversion to a reliever because we can't rebuild his innings in the minors. We might have had to make a hard decision on Hobgood next year IF his options had started in 2010, the year after he was drafted.

Then we get to the service time issue. If he stays in the ML the rest of the year he would almost certainly become a super two arbitration case which would make him that much more expensive. No big deal you say? With the very modest budget this team seems to be working with it could make the difference between offering another solid player arbitration or being forced to non tender him; for at least three seasons in a row.

Considering all of the above, promoting him NOW just doesn't make much sense to me.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by Old Sneakers » May 22nd, 2013, 10:37 am

Again. I agree 100% Also you ask valid points. I don't have answers to them.

At the heart of all this I suspect ownership wants a winner now. Maybe that is wrong. However, it doesn't make great sense otherwise. I still do not think the team has a talent level to make a 3-5 year run at the playoffs. That said I think the team is creating more problems than it can take long term.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #7 by ofahn » May 22nd, 2013, 10:43 am

Old Sneakers wrote:I still do not think the team has a talent level to make a 3-5 year run at the playoffs.

I absolutely agree which is why I'm so opposed to using any of our best prospects for rentals this year.

Old Sneakers wrote:That said I think the team is creating more problems than it can take long term.

Very insightful. Both statements are worth points.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by birdwatcher55 » May 22nd, 2013, 11:26 am

We're due to nail one. Good luck Kevin!! 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #9 by A_K » May 22nd, 2013, 12:34 pm

Professional scouts who watched Gausman have been saying he was MLB ready since spring training. In fact, most during spring training said he was the best pitcher on the team.

There's patience, and there's timidity. You promote players when they're ready, not when they've reached an arbitrary time threshold in the minors that you can point to and say "see, we took our time." If the scouts say he's ready, bring him up.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 22nd, 2013, 12:42 pm

A_K wrote:Professional scouts who watched Gausman have been saying he was MLB ready since spring training. In fact, most during spring training said he was the best pitcher on the team.

There's patience, and there's timidity. You promote players when they're ready, not when they've reached an arbitrary time threshold in the minors that you can point to and say "see, we took our time." If the scouts say he's ready, bring him up.

Agreed. I've also spoken to a number of people who believe he's ready.

I saw him last year and even then there were only a few things he could have really improved on. I like the move.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #11 by ofahn » May 22nd, 2013, 1:06 pm

A_K wrote:Professional scouts who watched Gausman have been saying he was MLB ready since spring training.

Do I believe he can pitch successfully in the ML? Yes.

Do I believe he can be a successful ML SP at this point? A BIG question mark.

My concern is that I don't believe he has pitched into the eighth inning as a professional yet. I just see another Tillman or Arrieta disaster coming.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by OriolesRedskins28 » May 22nd, 2013, 1:30 pm

A_K wrote:Professional scouts who watched Gausman have been saying he was MLB ready since spring training. In fact, most during spring training said he was the best pitcher on the team.

Totally agree.

ofahn wrote:My concern is that I don't believe he has pitched into the eighth inning as a professional yet. I just see another Tillman or Arrieta disaster coming.

For one thing they've been working on slowly increasing his pitch count and building his innings (which is very smart b/c now he will be able to pitch deeper into the season) which makes reaching the 8th inning much more difficult. It's also likely that they have him working on specific things (ie specific pitches) that may ratchet up his pitch count in games. He actually has been pretty efficient as evidenced by his 1.06 WHIP and remember that's with a AA defense behind him.

Gausman is on a different level than Arrieta/Tillman were when they were promoted. As others have said, he's ready so why waste some of his innings at AA? It's also important to consider that the O's brass doesn't believe there's a big jump between AA and AAA as evidenced by their promotion of Machado last year.

Here's a nice article from fangraphs on Gausman being ready that has me excited: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/kevin-ga ... ng-report/
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #13 by ofahn » May 22nd, 2013, 1:49 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:Gausman is on a different level than Arrieta/Tillman were when they were promoted.

I hope that everyone that believes he's ready for the long haul is right.

IMO Machado was different because you can hide a hitter in the eight or nine hole. You can't hide a SP. I REALLY, REALLY hope we're not wrecking another top prospect by rushing them before their development is done.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by A_K » May 22nd, 2013, 1:56 pm

Nice Fangraphs analysis. Here's an excerpt.

There is little Kevin Gausman can learn by remaining in the minor leagues. To nitpick, he could throw his slider with more consistent shape. At times, it was loose and broke early. But, the “good” slider was more frequently present. Also, he could also change hitters’ eye-levels better by working more effectively up in the zone with his fastball. He was content to work down in the zone a majority of the time.

It may not happen over night, but Gausman will develop into a front of the rotation arm.

With 46 innings under his belt in 2013, the Orioles will likely allow Gausman to throw between 100 – 120 more innings this season. It would be wise if the majority of them were for Baltimore.

A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #15 by Seafordeagles » May 22nd, 2013, 2:51 pm

"There is little Kevin Gausman can learn by remaining in the minor leagues. To nitpick, he could throw his slider with more consistent shape. At times, it was loose and broke early. But, the “good” slider was more frequently present."

There's never been a pitcher in baseball who didn't "hang a slider".

Let's face it. The Orioles have been starting a lot of reclamation projects. Gausman is so much more.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles