Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Ugh....A LOT has gone wrong so far....

Re: Ugh....A LOT has gone wrong so far....

PostPost #16 by 88kcusseeknay » May 21st, 2013, 12:14 am

very good points. I DO think our pitching is lacking, although I, personally am happy with 3rd place so far. it is the time in the season were one game can either make or break you, because the running for first place is so tight. I have faith in buck and the o's to withdrawal from this funk soon. win or lose I love watching the o's.
BUCK BALL !!![/
88kcusseeknay
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #17 by birdwatcher55 » May 21st, 2013, 11:30 am

Just curious: has JJ's velocity dropped off recently?? We worked him quite a bit earlier this month.. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #18 by ofahn » May 21st, 2013, 11:58 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:Just curious: has JJ's velocity dropped off recently?? We worked him quite a bit earlier this month.. 8-)

Here's a link to the MLB.com Gameday page where you can select the Ninth Inning and review JJ's pitch speeds for yourself.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.js ... de=classic
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #19 by A_K » May 21st, 2013, 12:35 pm

It seems to me that most of the things that have "gone wrong" have really just "gone as expected."

We're getting precisely nothing from our rotating cast of second basemen. No one can be surprised that that's the case. Roberts' injury, and the inadequacy of his replacements, are exactly what any informed observer should have expected.

Lack of production from our DH? Once again, who can be surprised? We made no attempt to fill the position, relied on replacement level players to fill the hole, and are getting replacement-level production. Again, as expected.

There was, oddly, some sense in spring training that we had "depth" in our starting rotation. I was always pretty perplexed that anyone thought so, given the names we were dealing with and the amount of overperformance we were counting on holding over from last year, but in any case, we're predictably seeing that we don't have nearly enough major league caliber starters in the system. (As my own mea culpa, I was quite bullish on Arrieta having a better season than last year, but it's been more of the same out of him, just as many others expected).

The bullpen? I'm not sure how many times people demonstrated that the unit was due for regression. And that's precisely what we're seeing. Again, not a surprise.

I guess I'm just not really ready to jump in and act surprised or dissappointed. We had clear weaknesses in the offseason, made no attempt to improve on them, and now we're losing games as a result. Pretty simple.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #20 by mikezpen » May 22nd, 2013, 12:33 am

Good thoughts..
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

PostPost #21 by birdwatcher55 » May 23rd, 2013, 12:16 pm

Lots of good the last two nights :D
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles