Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

need pitching now

need pitching now

PostPost #1 by dan72 » May 18th, 2013, 6:37 pm

With Chen injured and Jim Johnson and Strop both inconsistant, the need for pitching has never been more obvious. On top of that, the Yankees, Redsox and Rays are all winning while the O's continue to lose. If something isn't done soon via trade, we will be out of contention by the all star break. I don't want to see that happen......
Before the season started I was in favor of trading Jim Johnson because I felt like he had performed above his ceiling and his value was high. Couple that with the fact that he does not have the typical closer stuff........
Pitching and defense wins championships. Defensively we are good, the pitching we have is not good enough to take us to the playoffs. We are actually worse than last year because we are minus Saunders and Ayala.
The Nationals have good pitching, we should model ourselves after them.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: need pitching now

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » May 19th, 2013, 2:45 am

Well Arrieta got called up to work out of the bullpen. Sadly though it's not because Johnson is drawing so much interest that they almost have to movie him.

Yeah, I'll just focus on the draft over the next few weeks.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #3 by ofahn » May 19th, 2013, 8:00 am

need pitching now

Clearly; but, like the need to lose twenty pounds by the weekend, it's more wish than reality.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » May 20th, 2013, 12:42 pm

Gausman is probably several months away if then...I don't see much help other then what's on our roster right now. Just don't see any deals going down right now 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by dan72 » May 20th, 2013, 4:46 pm

There are 2 teams that have pitching that should be sellers at the deadline. If the Orioles can be first in line at the buffet and act sooner rather than later, I think this team could push for the playoffs.
First I like Kevin Slowey and Jose Fernandez from the Marlins. I also like Tommy Hanson from the Angels. The Angels are already 12 back and 10 games under .500 so Hanson could be available. Hanson's contract does not break the bank either.

Of the 3 Jose Fernandez has a very high ceiling and could definately help the front of our rotation. He is also the yougest of the three.

Growing arms through the draft is such a long process and if you miss on 1 or more guys than you are really behind in the build up. I know that drafting arms is much cheaper than trading or free agency. In the last 30 years how many drafted pitchers have progressed to be star caliber? Gregg Olson (briefly), Mussina... Any one else? Ben McDonald was a disapointment for me. History has shown we don't grow arms very well here. While we are in the hunt, make a move to get better.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » May 21st, 2013, 11:32 am

I doubt you get Fernandez because of that "high ceiling". Not wild about Hanson but might be worth a look. I can't see Dan sitting on his hands much longer, especially if we get swept by NYY.. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by ofahn » May 21st, 2013, 11:52 am

dan72 wrote:Jose Fernandez has a very high ceiling and could definately help the front of our rotation

I don't mean to dampen your enthusiasm, but you have a better chance of being our SP tonight than the Marlins trading Fernandez this season.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by ofahn » May 21st, 2013, 11:56 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:I can't see Dan sitting on his hands much longer, especially if we get swept by NYY

First, at this point in the season there's precious little available that's worth trading for.

Second, why waste some the few legit prospects buying a short term fix for one problem when we have more than just that. I have some real questions as to whether this season is worth that investment. I would rather focus on building a long term winner and that MIGHT mean selling this year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by birdwatcher55 » May 21st, 2013, 12:45 pm

If you know Dan Duquette, he is not the type who will sit back "and throw away" a season as much as you would like for him to do. This is still a very winnable division. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by ofahn » May 21st, 2013, 2:00 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Dan Duquette, he is not the type who will sit back "and throw away" a season

...and the mirror image of that statement is that he won't "throw away" the future for one questionable season.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by birdwatcher55 » May 23rd, 2013, 12:33 pm

You first have to convince him that this is in fact a "questionable season." I don't think you will find him in that school of thinking. This is still a pretty solid team in most areas and I'm sure he is going to do all he can to make it better as we go on. That was his MO in Boston and that's what you will see him do here in Baltimore. In fact, I could see the Orioles using one of their first two picks in June to take an almost ready MLB arm for the stretch run - similar to what the White Sox did with Chris Sale awhile back... 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by ofahn » May 23rd, 2013, 6:16 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I don't think you will find him in that school of thinking.

Yes I do because he's a realist.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by osforlife » May 24th, 2013, 2:57 pm

DD may not be the best GM, but he is not an idiot. It's not like he broke the farm system last year to keep us in the playoff hunt. He made two trades as the season was winding down. He gave up a couple of low level prospects for a DH who would have done us some good if not for injuries. He also traded a major league relief pitcher for a major league starting pitcher. DD and every sane Orioles fan realizes this is not championship team at the moment. The 2013 Baltimore Orioles are a .500 baseball team, at least for right now. He is not going to give away the prospects of an already top-heavy organization for a couple of rental pitchers that will win us a couple of games in a, like said above, questionable season. Like Jordan Tuwiner once said:
If Dan Duquette thought the Orioles really, really had a chance next season he would have done more than sign Nate McLouth.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #14 by osforlife » May 24th, 2013, 3:03 pm

But, one does have to wait a bit to make season altering decisions, even if that team is in a position to trade for rentals. Last year, Tillman and Gonzalez came in and took us to the playoffs. Gonzalez just came back from the DL and pitched marvelous. Hammel took a step in the right direction. Tillman has been solid all year. Chen should be back soon. Gausman has elite stuff. Wada is in the minors. Garcia didn't look bad the other day. It is easy to make knee jerk reactions playing imaginary GM.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #15 by ofahn » May 24th, 2013, 4:17 pm

osforlife wrote:But, one does have to wait a bit to make season altering decisions, even if that team is in a position to trade for rentals. Last year, Tillman and Gonzalez came in and took us to the playoffs. Gonzalez just came back from the DL and pitched marvelous. Hammel took a step in the right direction. Tillman has been solid all year. Chen should be back soon. Gausman has elite stuff. Wada is in the minors. Garcia didn't look bad the other day. It is easy to make knee jerk reactions playing imaginary GM.

POINTS!
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles