Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Game 37: Orioles @ Twins 5/11/2013

Game 37: Orioles @ Twins 5/11/2013

PostPost #1 by ofahn » May 11th, 2013, 4:32 pm

What a PHENOMENAL win last night.

I went to bed just as we came to bat in the sixth and thought there was NO WAY we were going to come back. The team had just caught a midnight flight to Minneapolis, arrived at their hotel about 5 AM and were playing a game fourteen hours later. Then they go down by six runs. Only special teams come back from that, and one did.

BAL: Johnson, S (0-0, -.--)
MIN: Worley (0-4, 6.95)

With all due respect to Steve Johnson (who has done NOTHING to deserve remaining at AAA) IMO Jair Jurrgens should be starting tonight. We need to find out what we have in him so we know whether we need to add a veteran SP before the deadline.

FYI - if you take any statistic through last night's game and multiply it by 4.5 you will get a full season's projection for that player. Such as; take Davis' 33 RBIs and multiply it by 4.5 and you will see that projects to have 148.5 for the year.

With 22 wins through last night the team is on a 99 win pace.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Game 37: Orioles @ Twins 5/11/2013

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 11th, 2013, 5:01 pm

ofahn wrote:With all due respect to Steve Johnson (who has done NOTHING to deserve remaining at AAA) IMO Jair Jurrgens should be starting tonight. We need to find out what we have in him so we know whether we need to add a veteran SP before the deadline.

I disagree.

While I do agree that we should find out what we have in Jurrjens, it should not come at the expense of winning. Johnson has proved that he can start. We do not know about Jurrjens and it's not worth finding out what we have in Jurrjens at the expense of a loss.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by ofahn » May 11th, 2013, 6:03 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I disagree.

What leads you to believe that Steve is any more ready to be successful the ML level than Jurrjens ?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 11th, 2013, 6:30 pm

ofahn wrote:
What leads you to believe that Steve is any more ready to be successful the ML level than Jurrjens ?

Better stuff and a great display last year.

I'd also like to see Jurrjens but I really do consider Johnson a solid starter. When Gonzalez returns it'll probably be Garcia who is gone. If we need a starter after that I'd like to see Jurrjens.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #5 by ofahn » May 11th, 2013, 6:42 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I really do consider Johnson a solid starter

So do I, but the inequity of the game is that Johnson has an option left and we have a hard deadline to promote Jurrjens of June 15th. I just think we should take a look at Jurrjens while we have the opportunity.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by ofahn » May 11th, 2013, 7:34 pm

Steve Johnson just wasn't ready to face ML hitting. His control has been horrible tonight and the second time through the line up the Twins just ate him alive.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Game Threads