Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Time to bring up Jonathan Schoop at 2B?

Re: Time to bring up Jonathan Schoop at 2B?

PostPost #16 by mikezpen » May 11th, 2013, 11:43 am

He certainly isn't doing it now.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #17 by ofahn » May 11th, 2013, 4:18 pm

I think the Orioles realize they may have something in Schoop and will be careful with him. I think of him as Machado Light.

IF (and I mean BIG if), he is carrying a .850 OPS at Norfolk through the month of July I could see him getting a call up in August. I saw that Jordan posted that he was at AAA to allow him to see more curve balls and I was getting ready to post that opinion, too.

IMO we should all take notice that the league has seen him about twice now and his OPS is climbing, regardless. He's shown that he can hit a AAA curve ball. We'll see if he can hit a ML one.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #18 by mikezpen » May 12th, 2013, 6:55 am

If the O's are in contention late, I wouldn't want him rushed up here and thrown into the pressure cooker.I'd rather see them go out and get an Utley-type veteran to hold the fort and provide production down stretch. If they're out of contention and think he' ready, bring him up after the AAA season's over and put him in.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

PostPost #19 by OriolesRedskins28 » May 15th, 2013, 12:37 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:The Orioles have been aggressive in promoting Schoop, but he can handle it. He's a hard worker, takes instruction well, and wants to succeed -- very similar to Manny Machado. If there is any player in the org. who can handle these tough promotions, it's Schoop. I have no problem with him at AAA and would rather he be challenged there than be in AA again. Give him time and I promise he will begin to produce.

You have to see him live to truly understand what kind of bat this guy has. His batting practice is a show and scouts say he has some of the best bat speed in the minors. He needs to work on the off-speed stuff and the pitchers in AAA give him more to learn from in that area.

In terms of fielding, Schoop has all of the tools. I think he will be slightly above-average at 2B or average at 3B. He has a strong arm and great instincts.

Well said and thanks for the insights!
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #20 by A_K » May 15th, 2013, 1:36 pm

He's not killing it in Norfolk (268/331/386 in 127 ABs), but given his age for that league I'd say it's pretty encouraging. Given the few times I've seen him play, I'm a bit surprised his power isn't translating better. Maybe folks with more experience (as in, anyone with any experience) in scouting and development could offer some hypotheses for why that hasn't happened yet.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #21 by Seafordeagles » May 15th, 2013, 4:18 pm

It's clear that Flaherty (right now) is not doing it. It's time to option him. I don't know why Yamaico hasn't been given a chance. He was hitting the ball pretty decently for Norfolk.

It's also clear that Buck isn't high on Casilla, so why not Yamaico.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #22 by ofahn » May 16th, 2013, 9:01 am

Seafordeagles wrote:I don't know why Yamaico hasn't been given a chance.

Maybe because his defense is below average. Flaherty may not be hitting his weight, but his defense has been above average. I'll take that.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by ofahn » May 16th, 2013, 9:09 am

A_K wrote:I'm a bit surprised his power isn't translating better

It's my understanding that power is normally that last tool to develop, and never does for some "can't miss" prospects. It wouldn't surprise me that the balls that Schoop is bouncing off of the wall for doubles this year will be two or three rows over the fence in a year or two.

Look at Machado. At the quarter post of the season he's on a pace to hit 69 doubles and 20 HRs. It's a good bet that in a year or two that will be 45 doubles and 40 HRs.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by birdwatcher55 » May 16th, 2013, 12:23 pm

I read somewhere that Schoop is hitting .330 in his last 20 games. I just don't know how much longer we can keep him down on the farm 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #25 by ofahn » May 16th, 2013, 1:24 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I just don't know how much longer we can keep him down on the farm

Why bring him up now?

His first time through AAA pitching he was over matched. The second time through he's made the adjustments and is dominating. Let's see how he does the third time through and how he overcomes the adjustments AAA pitcher will make.

Furthermore, how is bringing him up now going to fix our SP? IF it was Gausman and he was throwing complete games on 90 pitches I would say ABSOLUTELY because it would help fix our outstanding problem; but Schoop isn't the solution to the problem we need to address right now.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by mikezpen » May 16th, 2013, 1:55 pm

Well, we don't have to worry about it now because he strained his back.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

PostPost #27 by A_K » May 17th, 2013, 1:01 pm

ofahn wrote:

I absolutely love Machado... but it's never a "good bet" that a player will be hitting 45 doubles and 40 HRs in the same season. That level of production is so, so rare. In fact, it's a good bet that he'll never reach that point at any point of his career (and that's OK; he can be a great player without hitting at that no doubt, first ballot hall of fame level).
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #28 by ofahn » May 17th, 2013, 2:18 pm

ofahn wrote:It's a good bet that in a year or two that will be 45 doubles and 40 HRs.

At this point I wouldn't bet against anything this kid might do.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #29 by A_K » May 17th, 2013, 2:56 pm

ofahn wrote:
At this point I wouldn't bet against anything this kid might do.

Doesn't matter. Name a player-- any player-- and it would be smart to bet against them having 45 doubles and 40 home runs in the same season. Bryce Harper, Mike Trout, Manny Machado, anyone. It's not just unrealistic, but also unfair, to saddle a 20 year old player with a baseline expectation of what translates to one of the best seasons in the history of the sport.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #30 by mikezpen » May 18th, 2013, 11:31 am

It's not just unrealistic, but also unfair, to saddle a 20 year old player with a baseline expectation of what translates to one of the best seasons in the history of the sport.

Good point. Weiters was burdened w/a lot of high expectations and look what's happened to him.And he was older and presumably a lot more mature than Machado.We ought to keep it down and let the kid play.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles