Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Acquire Brandon Wood

Orioles Acquire Brandon Wood

PostPost #1 by ofahn » May 9th, 2013, 10:36 am

By Tim Dierkes [May 9 at 10:15am CST]

The Orioles acquired third baseman Brandon Wood from the Royals for cash considerations, tweets Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star. Wood will report to Triple-A Norfolk. The 28-year-old is hitting .264/.304/.396 in 56 Triple-A plate appearances. Wood, then with the Angels, was ranked as the third-best prospect in baseball after the '06 season by Baseball America, which said he profiled as a perennial All-Star. He's received 751 big league plate appearances with the Angels and Pirates, posting a .186/.225/.289 line.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/05/o ... -wood.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Orioles Acquire Brandon Wood

PostPost #2 by birdwatcher55 » May 9th, 2013, 11:10 am

Now that is laugh!!! 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #3 by bushwick » May 9th, 2013, 11:58 am

I just looked up his past numbers and they were huge ,43 homers and 116 rbi's. But they have dropped ever since back then in 2005. If they can somehow tap back into that hitter he was then it's not a bad pick-up for cash considerations. Of course it's now 2013 and he is far from the 3rd best prospect in baseball he was back then.
bushwick
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » May 9th, 2013, 12:06 pm

I think those numbers were mostly in the AAA PCL where the ball flies out of most parks. I recall at the time when a lot of Orioles' fans were dying to get this guy at about the time we put Tejada on the trade block 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by ofahn » May 9th, 2013, 1:07 pm

bushwick wrote:I just looked up his past numbers and they were huge ,43 homers and 116 rbi's. But they have dropped ever since back then in 2005. If they can somehow tap back into that hitter he was then it's not a bad pick-up for cash considerations. Of course it's now 2013 and he is far from the 3rd best prospect in baseball he was back then.

He might be the poster boy for 4A player.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Seafordeagles » May 9th, 2013, 1:14 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I think those numbers were mostly in the AAA PCL where the ball flies out of most parks. I recall at the time when a lot of Orioles' fans were dying to get this guy at about the time we put Tejada on the trade block 8-)

43 homers is 43 homers no matter where you play. 43 home runs in the PCL is rare, so I don't agree with your point. The most home runs EVER hit in the PCL for a season is 50 by Ron Kittle.

43 home runs is an outstanding feat. This guy was ONCE a can't miss prospect. I don't know what happened. He's not the first and won't be the last can't miss prospect to fail.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #7 by osforlife » May 10th, 2013, 8:16 pm

Not really of any importance, but the Orioles have a lot of players in the organization(upper levels) that can play third base.
Machado, Casilla, Betemit, Flaherty, Valencia, Canzler, Navarro, Wood, Schoop, Romero, Waring, Britton, Wheeler, Kelly are all either listed at third base, can play third base(doesn't mean well), or play third base. Plus, Connor Jackson plays third base, but he retired. Yet, we don't have one shortstop at either Norfolk or Bowie. I'm thinking they play on using Wood at shortstop. Speaking of the minors, six players are hitting at an OPS above .794 right now.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #8 by mikezpen » May 11th, 2013, 8:11 am

[quote]The most home runs EVER hit in the PCL for a season is 50 by Ron Kittle. [quote]
I believe Steve Bilko hit 56 back in the 1950s.

I remember that Brandon Wood was a message board superstar about 6 years ago after that PCL season.Everybody wanted the Orioles to trade half their team to get him (although looking back, half the Os team of those years wasn't that much, either :) )
Wood just never caught on.I have no problem w/picking him up if they didn't have to give away much. Heaven knows we don't have much at second base. Lightning could strike w/this guy...you never know.
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by ofahn » May 11th, 2013, 4:10 pm

mikezpen wrote:I remember that Brandon Wood was a message board superstar about 6 years ago after that PCL season.Everybody wanted the Orioles to trade half their team to get him

I never understood his ranking, and after he had been exposed to ML pitching I had some real doubts about him. I thought making a trade with the Angels back then was a good idea, but I wanted Trumbo.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles